Ok Mopar Buffs.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2001, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7257
Wink Ok Mopar Buffs....

Where can I find (or who among you know) what the difference is between the "regular" and "Magnum" 318 V8?
Where can I get HP/Torque specs from year to year on the small block LA block?
I'm looking specifically from '91 to '97.
I'm hoping to put such a monster in my 90 Jeep Wrangler to bolt up to my NV-4500 tranny that's already in the Jeep.
I've always been impressed with the knowlege and willingness to help of the Mopar Buffs.
Please throw some numbers at me!!
Thanx -Gus-
Semi-Tuf-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2001, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
txs

Member # 1846
The main difference is the magnums do not have rocker shafts like the LA motors. The intake bolt angle was changed from perpendicular to the intake gasket plane to straight up and down. The combustion chambers and bowls are different, the magnums have a closed chamber, This is good, I'm building a circa 84 or 85 318 with the magnum heads for my tow truck.
txs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2001, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7257
Thanx for the reply!
Can I assume that the since the heads and the intake change, that the exhaust is different too? or can I retain my exhaust manifolds? What kind of horse power/ torque gains are there? What about the roller lifters and Multi port injection? what year did they come in to the LA block?
-Gus-
Old 11-16-2001, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3654
mpi came in 92 when the 318 became the 5.2 magnum. if you use heads from a magnum block on an early block you must modify the oiling holes some how(dont ask me i've just read it in mopar action and mopar musle magazines). you can use your exhaust manifolds from any la engine on any la engine. while your looking why not buy a 360 and the 42 cubes that comes with it?
Old 11-18-2001, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
txs

Member # 1846
The roller lifters started about 1985, the rocker arms on the magnums oil through the pushrods like a shivey. I think you can use earlier exhaust manifolds on the magnums. The intake port openings are actually the same between the two motors, just the bolt angle changed. The magnums are sopposed to be worth some extra horsepower and torque, but I can't put a number to it.
Old 11-19-2001, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 7257
Thanx for the replies. This has been a good source of info. I already have the 91 318 complete with compooter, but I may be picking up a 94 for the heads and MPI. I suppose I'll need a different pooter though because of the MPI. Is the computer different between the manual trans and auto
If I do pick up the 94 (with the Magnum heads), I may do a write up on the differences between them with pictures and make them available on the web. Sure would be nice to see/read something about the oil passage mods you talked about.
I would use the 360, cept their a little harder to find. Thanx so much for the help. If anyone knows where I can find specific info on the different year small blocks, I would sure love to hear about it.
-Gus-aka- Semi-Tuf-Jeep
Old 11-23-2001, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3654
found out more on the oiling thing. you need to use AMC 401 hydralic lifters as they will feed oil to the pushrod. you need to have a set of pushrods that feed oil to the rocker made for the swap but its worth it. lots of companies will build pushrods, you may even find some stock ones that will work. check the length twice to make sure you get the right preload on the lifter.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 7257
Std to Manum 318 (5.2)

Picked up a 94 Magnum 318 this weekend that threw a rod. Crank thrashed, rod went thru the pan. Heads have less than 1k miles on their rebuild. I was expecting to see a lot of damage to the cyl from the piston shrapnel, but only found the exhaust valve bent aprox 10 deg and the intake unmeasurable, but will be replaced anyway. Even the spark plug was in tact and set to the right gap. You are right on the money about the individual rockers. I'm gonna run some measurements and see if I can run the heads, intake, push rods and lifters from the 94 on my 91 short block. I'm gonna take the digital camera out and start documenting what I find in case any one else wants to do this.
Thanx so much for the help.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
txs

Member # 1846
The magnum takes longer pushrods than LAs by about 3/8ths or 1/2 an inch, crane or comp cams probably know that diminsion by now, there are enough of these conversions done. I can look it up if you need it. The 10 bolt valve covers are a plus, too.
Old 11-25-2001, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
txs

Member # 1846
The cotton picker won't let me edit and I'm logged in. You may well be able to use the stock magnum pushrods, I just reread your post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.