Dana 44 CAD causing grey hair - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 365177
Dana 44 CAD causing grey hair

I have a 2001 Dodge 1/2 ton 4wd with a front Dana CAD axle. The drive shaft is on the left (drivers side) and the CAD is on the right (passenger side). The front axle was full of muddy oil when I bought the truck forcing me to rebuild it.

My current hang up is the right side CAD axle shaft seal. It appears to of been installed from the outside of the axle tube and driven all the way into the axle housing to the CAD area. However, the seal I have #710241 seems to big. The ID is correct(it will slip over the axle shaft with no problem). But its just to big to fit or even force into the axle tube. Am I correct that it goes in from the outer side (spindle area) of the axle and is driven to the middle CAD area?

Also, when I removed the carrier from the axle there seemed to be "orings" just inside the axle tubes on each side. After further investigation it seems to be RTV. I can provide pictures if needed, I assume this was put in at the factory. What the a reason for this RTV??
exoticwelding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140878
Your first mistake is rebuilding the damn thing.

The pass side seal go in through the cad hole in the cast. You'll need to rig up some all-thread and some stuff as washers, sockets, whatever to make it work, to press the seal in.

Don't worry about that "o-ring" rtv.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 365177
Thanks for clarifying!!! I actually had time to knock the old seal out and put a new one in. However, I have seemed to run into more problems. The axle hole on the 2 piece axle shaft on the CAD side seem to be enlarged causing the 2 axle to not have lots of slop where they connect(at the CAD collar) and the CAD vacuum shifter is worn bad. My thought is to get a solid axle shaft.

I have read and will do some research later but I recall with a different CAD side seal I can find a solid(1 piece) axle shaft to fit?

Also if I was to scrap this CAD axle (doubtful since I have already spent the money and time to rebuild it all except for the CAD side solid axle and seal) what is the better option? Is is a direct bolt in?

Thanks again for your time!!!!
exoticwelding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 341649
There isnt a direct bolt-in upgrade for the '94-01 Dodge CAD Dana 44.that I'm aware of.

What many do is source a Ford driver drop Dana 44 front from a 74-79 Ford fullsize truck or Bronco and have the Dodge link & suspension mounting components fitted to the Ford axle. Thus making it a bolt-in upgrade. After some grinding, measuring & welding of course
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 90864
Missing 'top hat bushing' between the 2 shafts.
Possibly the shift fork pads as well.
have a look at the Quad4x4 catalog.

Possible downside of CAD delete is front driveshafts for disconnect axles may not be balanced for full time operation at freeway speed, and can grenade the transfer case.
68K20 x Drill is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.