p.o.s. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2001, 06:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 1650
p.o.s.

shitbox dodge won't start again...it's not even that cold. anybody want to buy a dodge? i'm going back to toyotas.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways in a cloud of dust, flopping into the hole totally worn out, shouting ..."holy shit...what a ride!"
nuclearlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2790
How much????????????:
hy_desert_4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2001, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3654
DON'T FEAR THE DODGE (use a 1/2" wrench, not a 13mm. dodges don't like metric tools)
Old 12-19-2001, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
I remember reading about that problem on the dodge rams on www.dodgeram.org I dunno what to tell you, but I do have to agree that my 4 runner is alot more reliable than my ram.. I think I have out about $800 into the 4 runner since I bought it in Feburary (30k tune up) and about $3500 inot the ram, and I bought it after the 4 runner, in may (new transmission, transfer case, o2 sensors, output on the transfer case, and some other stuff). I dunno, but for a comfterable ride, I perfer the ram, mainly because I have MUCH more room.
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1650
only had the truck a couple of months and only paid $800 for it...now i've got another $800 into it...i just need a truck for fetchin parts for my four cruisers. figure i don't care if i beat the crap out of it.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways in a cloud of dust, flopping into the hole totally worn out, shouting ..."holy shit...what a ride!"
Old 12-21-2001, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
oh, my bad, I was in the new dodge frame of mind. not starting.. I have had that happen. I have had everything from bad fuel filter, cracked fuel line, leaking carb, bad plugs, bad ignition module, bad resistor, shorting wiring, etc. Basically after I re-wired it, with a relay for the ignition module, put in a orange mopar ignition box, classic black voltage regulator, napa resistor, napa coil, new alternator, rebuilt carb, new studs on the manifold, new sending unit in the tank (old one wouldnt read the level), and bypassing the amp gauge it ran like a champ. Oh, and also I went through every wire under the engine bay, replaced the connector on the alternator, and most important, got rid of all the crap wires that went nowhere. After all that. It ran great, and guess what, I still think of it (even with dieing on me all the time) as about 500% more reliable than my 96 ram. if you are down for my instructions on how to re-do the wiring, let me know and I will give ya a complete run down. Oh, and also I had bad connectors on the coil, which was one of my main problems. If it werent for me disconnecting the kick down cable and not hooking it back up while tweaking the carb, I woudl probabally still be driving the truck today.. oh well, I'll fic the tranny one of these days. Garrett
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1650
thanks pw...
right now, i've found a ton of weird shit the p.o. did. the problem the other day turned out to be the starter relay (i think...as it was running for a good week), but now, more problems. i've got power to the cab, but no starter...starter's good as i shorted the posts to get it started so i could get home.

i know the pos cable is crap (p.o. had, at one point replaced the stock terminal with one of those cheap clamp on deals which i have in turn replaced), and i would like to replace it, but only knowing cheby's and older toys, the dual cable set up is new to me. where does the second batt cable (the one with the "fusible link?" that goes into the harness wrapping inside the left fender) go? how hard is that to replace? what the hell is it there for?

p.o. also has run a 12 ga. wire from batt to back of fuse block that affects the power to the cab...and had apparently had problems as it had been spliced with a new 12"section at the battery...got to love p.o.s.
Old 12-23-2001, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
H M F

Member # 8758
Haaahh!

Exactly right!! Stay with the Toyotas. If yer gonna get a beater to run for parts, get an 86 toyota or something!
Of course, I guess a Dodge would be a hell of a lot better than a heep!
Old 12-24-2001, 01:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2645
It sounds to me like maybe the ground wire on the ignition relay is loose, or bad, or disconnected.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1650
thanks neckster...i'll check that. already replaced the relay itself...that got it starting for about a week, now, it won't start again. starter won't click, but i've got plenty of juice and power to the cab. had to jump the terminals on the starter to get home from work saturday.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2515
Loose switch on the column

I've heard of the switch on the column loosening up and not fully engaging when the key is switched to the start position. Just guessing.......
Baja Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2790
Damn newbie cant you see this post is over a month old he has most likely fixed the problem since their are no recent replies to it
hy_desert_4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2515
Bored!

This board is so slow I had to change my settings to see enough interesting posts Apparently, it gave you something to do too Plus, I've been blazing( ) around BAJA for the last month, and I wanted to catch up to all you fast paced DODGE guys Damn, it sure is swell to be a newbie. I'm never going to grow up
Old 01-24-2002, 07:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1650
first off, i'm a she not a he...second...not fixed, just afro-engineered...gotta love push buttons!!! as for beaters...this is it...the toyotas are my true passion...i can find parts for my land cruisers easier than i can for a dodge...what's wrong with that picture?

any distributors for pre-ugly dodge parts out there? i need a whole new interior!
Old 01-24-2002, 07:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 2515
its a girl!

Soooooooo sorry if I offended you ma'am. No harm, no foul. There are plenty of old dodge parts around. You just have to start looking at the bottom of the heep in the oldest most decreped(sp?) junk yards