Pirate 4x4 banner

newbie here

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  nuclearlemon 
#1 ·
hey, one of my vehicles is a 1985 dodge ram p/u. its got a 318 in it but wanna swap in a 360. will i be able to use the same tranny i have now or will i need a more heavy-duty one to handle the extra power? any replies are appreciated.

#3 ·
You can use the same tranny,however, you will need a new torque converter(automatic) or flywheel(manual) since the engines are balanced differently(internally for the 318 externally for the 360). Your transfercase is an NP208 and you have a 9 1/4 rear axle.

#6 ·
OZman, if the 360 is not from a truck you'll need a pan the 318 oil pan will not fit the 360. Also one of the motor mount brackets is different, can't remember if it's the driver or right side.

#10 ·
hey newbie.

the diesel would be a sweet swap, but waaaaayyyyyy to expensive to do. good luck with your swap...i've got the same set up as you...i'll be rebuilding another 318 soon to take the place of the one that's in there now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.