Pirate 4x4 banner

U Joint basics aren't working for me.

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  driveshafter 
#1 ·
Ordered a 5-178x from the dana/spicer catalog at 4wheel parts. Everything we knew checked out and it turns out the truck is not even equipped with that kind of U joint.

Its an inside clip series 1000/7260
I used this Guide for measurement.
U Joint Measuring Guide

what really really pisses me off is according to that picture I should be using the bottom inside clip for reference, and its a U-bolt style hold down.. the upper picture which is the one IM NOT suppose to use is a strap style...

however the truck is Strap style.

Willing to bet none of this is comprehensible as I type. But it proof reads to me. Please let me know if there is anything I can clear up.

(insert hand holding smiley here)

See less See more
#4 ·
#3 ·
SPL55-3X
we tried that one too. When you put that particular part in your hand it measures probably 6" across. ITS HUGE. looking at my little ruler here its probably a 1710 series if you laid it down.
I have mystery parts!
did you happen to see the picture? The measurements dont even cross over to the reference chart I used.

#5 ·
Most Mopar U-joints are not "Dodge", they are Detroit joints. Usually 7260 series or the larger and less common 7290 series. Straps and inside C-clips on a Dodge usually means a Detroit joint, U-bolts and outside full round clips usually mean Spicer joints, though the lines get a bit blurred in the BR series and newer trucks since Spicer went pussy and uses straps now.

#6 ·
So what is not fitting and wtf is the axle/truck?

5-178 should be a standad 1350 hoint
Spl55-3x is a 1480 d60 axle shaft and modern cummins rear driveline joint

7260 i belive is a 1310 equivalent with the internal dodge clips, similar to a d44 axle shaft joint.

The next step up from that is a 7290 which i belive was a 1330 small cap with internal clips.

#7 ·
7260 has a yoke span of 2.125" while the Spicer 1310 is 2.344"

7290 has a yoke span of 2.625" and the Spicer 1330 is 3.622" and is not grooved for inner C-clips.

I believe the Spicer 7260 equivalent is the 1306 and the Spicer 7290 equivalent is the 1309.

#8 ·
The truck is a 94 v10 with an NV4500.
The Detroit joints are so far odd dimensions from Spicer. My plan now is to replace the front shaft and yoke. Living and learning here. What's a good route to find that Dana 60/Spicer yoke. I'll get it over the counter either way but I would like to find it in a budget fashion.
Thanks Pirate
Dann'l

#10 ·
You should have mentioned that you were working on your front driveshaft. The joints used in the front Double Cardan joint are typically not the same as the other joints in the shaft. The front joint at the pinion is as easy as any other U-joint in the truck. It's stupid as hell to be swapping yokes if all you need is a stock part replacement.

The front shaft joint at the pinion is a Spicer 5-1309X.

The joints in the Double Cardan are Spicer 5-433-1X.

That should be correct per the Spicer K350-1-DSSP Catalog.

Everything is available easy as hell if you know what you are doing. Unfortunately most parts chain stores have assholes who know nothing about automobiles behind the counter and you don't seem to know a lot about specifying parts yourself so you are a bit screwed. Note that in the BR series trucks there were sometimes very big differences in the driveline parts for the various chassis and body designs. The U-joints may be different in a regular cab than what was installed in a ClubCab or QuadCab. if you don't have all the information or the person specifying the parts doesn't have all the information, you will get the wrong part 9 times out of 10.

#11 ·
For the sake of upgrading the front shaft to something anyone can find and will likely have it seems like a 1310 will fit for in the front shaft with just a simple yoke change for that size U-joint . With that in mind, what's the largest U joint we can fit since it'll be at the shop getting remade anyways? 1350 1410. I'm sure they only make a couple different yokes for the front Dana 60 anways. And I think lift and driveline angles all allow for difference's in what will fit.
Thanks for any help ! Hopefully I can upgrade and get going for this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.