1969 winnebago 4x4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 748929
1969 winnebago 4x4

yo, folks......Im a retired old phart(airline mechanic).and have an ambitious project in mind. Here is the basics. I have a 22fr winnebago brave class A with the generic 318/thermoquad/a727 package. Considering I live in Idaho, it doesnt exactly storm up the mountain passes.......however, it has only 52k ORIGINAL miles and is mechanically flawless. I am patient! I am going to convert this motorhome to a 4x4(6x6?),whatever. First thoughts were, of course, an np205 divorced with a left drop dana 60 front axle assy. Of course, this unit is built on a D300(M300) 138" w.b. frame, and has a leaf spring front axle already....easy enough. BUT, it is NOT a "trail-rig" by any means.....I just want to creep up snowy areas later in the year, as we do a lot of winter camping. The 318 in this heavy pig is NOT capable of bruising a np205(and why would I want to hang an additional MASSIVE weight on it anyway). THEREFORE, I am considering some t-case options, such as a dana 20 case (divorced), or how about a lightweight np208 that at first glance seems easy enough to make into a "divorced case" ?? The 208 is dirt cheap,lightweight, and EVERYWHERE.???? Thoughts on my madness please!!! Of course, my trans is 2wd version.....and I am NOT going to add massive expense and weight to make this beast a "rock-krawler". Simply put, I just want all wheel capabilities on ice and snow at LOW speeds. This is a fairly small motorhome, and I do NOT tow anything, so Im not likely to overstress a "modest" case setup. Obviously it is a dana 70hd rear axle version,so I will go with a dana 60 dually ft axle assy(unless you can convince me that it would be somehow imprudent?)....OK folks, this is my challenge from a first-time-new member....your thoughts please for options/cost.......thanx
cactusbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusbob View Post
yo, folks......Im a retired old phart(airline mechanic).and have an ambitious project in mind. Here is the basics. I have a 22fr winnebago brave class A with the generic 318/thermoquad/a727 package. Considering I live in Idaho, it doesnt exactly storm up the mountain passes.......however, it has only 52k ORIGINAL miles and is mechanically flawless. I am patient! I am going to convert this motorhome to a 4x4(6x6?),whatever. First thoughts were, of course, an np205 divorced with a left drop dana 60 front axle assy. Of course, this unit is built on a D300(M300) 138" w.b. frame, and has a leaf spring front axle already....easy enough. BUT, it is NOT a "trail-rig" by any means.....I just want to creep up snowy areas later in the year, as we do a lot of winter camping. The 318 in this heavy pig is NOT capable of bruising a np205(and why would I want to hang an additional MASSIVE weight on it anyway). THEREFORE, I am considering some t-case options, such as a dana 20 case (divorced), or how about a lightweight np208 that at first glance seems easy enough to make into a "divorced case" ?? The 208 is dirt cheap,lightweight, and EVERYWHERE.???? Thoughts on my madness please!!! Of course, my trans is 2wd version.....and I am NOT going to add massive expense and weight to make this beast a "rock-krawler". Simply put, I just want all wheel capabilities on ice and snow at LOW speeds. This is a fairly small motorhome, and I do NOT tow anything, so Im not likely to overstress a "modest" case setup. Obviously it is a dana 70hd rear axle version,so I will go with a dana 60 dually ft axle assy(unless you can convince me that it would be somehow imprudent?)....OK folks, this is my challenge from a first-time-new member....your thoughts please for options/cost.......thanx
Listen old fart, paragraphs might not have been around in the good old days but get with the times ans start using them.

I'll write a real reply after I've had more to drink.

Edit: Either go with a 205 or drop in a 4x4 trans with a more modern (i.e. doesn't blow up when put behind a turned up 5.9) t-case behind it. The amount of power you're putting to the front doesn't matter. You're driving the rear shaft via the case 100% of the time. A 208 could survive with deep enough axle gearing and low enough duty cycle.

Since you're considering going through the effort of making a married case a divorced case you might as well consider other options. NVG271s from Dodge and Ford trucks are just as plentiful and way beefier than a 208. If you can do the adapter in house then this is the route to go. If you have to pay for one then a divorced 205 would be cheaper.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 04-07-2017 at 06:39 PM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 748929
arse sideways.........sorry I..."offended" you somehow, with the lack of paragraphs. I was just trying to be to-the-point and condense my thoughts. If you cannot connect the dots, Im would appreciate it if you did NOT respond. Hell of a welcome,huh

Old 04-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 156941
If you want thoughts and opinions, you might want to type your question so it's a bit easier to read.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, and plenty of people willing to help you.

Use paragraphs, punctuation, and don't come off as a douche, and you will get more info and opinions than you can shake a stick at.

Start out with an attitude, or show some thin skin and this place will eat you alive.
Crankylove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankylove View Post
If you want thoughts and opinions, you might want to type your question so it's a bit easier to read.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, and plenty of people willing to help you.

Use paragraphs, punctuation, and don't come off as a douche, and you will get more info and opinions than you can shake a stick at.

Start out with an attitude, or show some thin skin and this place will eat you alive.
I concur.

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 79509

Why are you so hung up on using a divorced transfercase with a 50 year old transmission? Buy/rebuild a 4x4 transmission.

If you're from California, you're not a Yankee. You're not really anything.
Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 748929
Thank you for the response to point. I do appreciate it. My intent in the original posting, I thought, was respectful and I even went to the courtesy of saying thanks, etc. Perhaps I somehow missed how ANY of what I said was expressed as "doucebaggery", or just taken wrong. The great thing about the internet is our ability to share knowledge and, yes, we cannot get clues to intent or delivery of a message (always) clearly expressed. I just didnt think I quite deserved a spanking. I wish you the best.Too much snarky for too little reason.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 208306
Quote:
yo, have an ambitious project in mind. Here is the basics. I have a 22fr winnebago brave class A np205 divorced with a left drop dana 60 front axle assy. np205 dana 70hd rear dana 60 dually ft axle assy

Sounds good .

Where were you an airline mechanic at Bob ?

I was an airworthoness safety inspector for 16 years, I'm sure we've crossed paths ...........

Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 03:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 41063
I doubt a Dana 20 case is rated to handle that big of a load. You are going to need at least 1 ton gear to be reliable and that means a NP205 or better. Will it work with something like a NP208? Sure, but for how long and do you really want to deal with a tow bill that will likely exceed the cost of obtaining a better transfer case in the first place. You don't need overkill but you do need something adequate to do the job. Might as well plan on a 1 ton front axle as well as I doubt a 3,500 lbs rated D44 is going to cut it there either.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
I doubt a Dana 20 case is rated to handle that big of a load. You are going to need at least 1 ton gear to be reliable and that means a NP205 or better. Will it work with something like a NP208? Sure, but for how long and do you really want to deal with a tow bill that will likely exceed the cost of obtaining a better transfer case in the first place. You don't need overkill but you do need something adequate to do the job. Might as well plan on a 1 ton front axle as well as I doubt a 3,500 lbs rated D44 is going to cut it there either.
I agree about the t-case thing but as far as the axle goes I think weight rating is more important than the diff since he just wants an extra pull in the snow. A 99-04 D50 (or D60) converted to 8x6.5 should do the job.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 4243
The steering box on the Winni is probably a push/pull setup. I would suggest an axle that's already setup that way. Land the leafs on the axle and make a custom drag link.

Chrysler transmissions can be had with tcases that hang to either side. Divorced 205s come in right or left drop too. The Spicer 23/24 (pre-np205) is another I'd consider. Fuel tank and whatever can get in the way of a divorced setup... the trucks they came from usually had the tank in the cab.

Last edited by u2slow; 04-08-2017 at 12:01 PM.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
"All Weeee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Old 04-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 41063
The steering box is irrelevant since the only the drag link changes, not the axle or steering arm.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
I'm Zach

Member # 22176
Quote:
Thank you for the response to point. I do appreciate it. My intent in the original posting, I thought, was respectful and I even went to the courtesy of saying thanks, etc. Perhaps I somehow missed how ANY of what I said was expressed as "doucebaggery", or just taken wrong. The great thing about the internet is our ability to share knowledge and, yes, we cannot get clues to intent or delivery of a message (always) clearly expressed. I just didnt think I quite deserved a spanking. I wish you the best.Too much snarky for too little reason.
Edit that nonsense. I had to read that a few times to get through that wall of text. Also anybody in this thread can answer your questions, don't start like an internet badass.

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 145218
I did not bother to read the wall of text probably like many others . So good luck
johny5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 20114

“Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.”-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
DogTalker

Member # 52202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Edit that nonsense. I had to read that a few times to get through that wall of text. Also anybody in this thread can answer your questions, don't start like an internet badass.
Hey Frank, how 'bout you stfu. We've moved beyond the initial post.

Oh, and fuck you!
jensenkennels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
I'm Zach

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenkennels View Post
Hey Frank, how 'bout you stfu. We've moved beyond the initial post.

Oh, and fuck you!

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Quote:
Thoughts on my madness please!!!
Yep. Total waste of time.
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 17632
I think you guys ran ol' Bob off. Too bad, i like seeing moho's modded.

If you're still out there Bob, i think a divorced 205 and a dually 60 would be super easy and last forever. I think a leaf spring 60 from a 93 down Dodge might even have the correct spring spacing. Do it and post pics. We love pics here.
Travis..

Last edited by crashnzuk; 04-08-2017 at 04:09 PM.
crashnzuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 127650
Your RV has a drop-center solid beam axle in the front right? So when you put a 4x4 axle in the front, it will lift the front of the RV at least 6". You will also have to lift the rear suspension to match. That will make an already tippy box even tippier.

52k on a 318 in a RV is a lot of miles. That engine likely spent most of it's life wound out (3spd trans, probably with 4.56 gears) and under a heavy load. And it's from the days when a car engine was only expected to go 100k before needing a rebuild.

If you're just putting around in the snow, a good locker in the rear axle and decent rear tires will go a long way. Use a little momentum and you'd be surprised how far 2wd will go. If that isn't enough, put some chains on. Most of the big state plow trucks are just 2wd.
RanchTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 191442
I would simply find a 46RH from a early to mid 90's 5.9l gas Dodge 4x4 truck, with the 241 t-case attached and install it. The original flexplate on the 318 will work, you will gain an overdrive and the t-case should handle the load fine. I can't remember for sure if the 69 318 is neutral balanced, but IIRC, they have forged cranks that year and will be. If not, Mopar performance has an inexpensive weight kit.

Wouldn't cost too much on craigslist or a pick-your-part type yard.

Might even be possible to swap in a complete Magnum 5.9l driveline. The '93-95 OBD1 MPI setup is easy to connect to an old vehicle and you would pick up quite a bit of power and the fuel economy may be the same or better.

Hope this helps!
Marty, SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 08:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty, SoCal View Post
I would simply find a 46RH from a early to mid 90's 5.9l gas Dodge 4x4 truck, with the 241 t-case attached and install it. The original flexplate on the 318 will work, you will gain an overdrive and the t-case should handle the load fine. I can't remember for sure if the 69 318 is neutral balanced, but IIRC, they have forged cranks that year and will be. If not, Mopar performance has an inexpensive weight kit.

Wouldn't cost too much on craigslist or a pick-your-part type yard.

Might even be possible to swap in a complete Magnum 5.9l driveline. The '93-95 OBD1 MPI setup is easy to connect to an old vehicle and you would pick up quite a bit of power and the fuel economy may be the same or better.

Hope this helps!
I'm not as savvy on gas Dodge stuff, but 2nd this guy's post, maybe upgrade to a 242 t case.
I've seen a 46rh swapped into an older truck, the lockup was on a toggle, and the OD was on a toggle, easy peasy. A note, 94+ Dodge is all driver side front diff, so match your t case and diff accordingly.

The benefit of this swap is overdrive, lockup and lower gear ratio in low range, and maybe packaging. I only see you being able to use OD in a 318 house if you went even deeper on the front and rear diffs. You could benefit from this, but I doubt you want to do all that, so...

Buy a solid Dodge pickup with healthy 360 and d60 and move parts over.

Or get over the divorced np205 and run it, seeing how it's the simplest strongest option.

Read more here, get a feel for the place, we're helpful, when we aren't ass holes.

I'd suggest moving your post to the expedition forum, probably better suited there than the hard core Dodge section.

And post pics, even of your camper slug on a muddy road, we'll dig it, hell, use it to break up your paragraph
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Dinosaur

Member # 166485
Attached Images

Quote:
37s on 1/2 tons were Obama's America
44s and 1 tons are Trump's America.
Overhauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.