Ranch Truck 1996 2nd Gen 2500 Cummins - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Ranch Truck 1996 2nd Gen 2500 Cummins

So I'm so tired of CARB and issues getting our '03 Ranch Truck to pass smog we are building a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 for ranch duty. It's been about a 3 month process, but the build is coming to completion and I've finally got some time to put together a build thread. Specs are:

1996 Dodge Ram 2500
5.9 Cummins (Plans for mild modification but nothing crazy)
Auto
Custom Satin White paint by Down to Earth Customs in Medford, OR
37" Maxxis
17" Methods
Thuren 3" Coils
Thuren Towers
Fox 2.5 12" Travel Resi
Fox 2.5 Piggybacks in the rear
Metal Cloak 4 Links
Poly Performance Drag Link & Drop Bracket
Poly Performance Steering Gear Brace
PSC Hydro Assist w/HD Box
Dodge Offroad HD Steering kit
Yukon Vaccum Delete
Yukon 35 Spline Inners
CTM U-joints
Auburn Ected Locker front
Air Lift Bags
B&W Hitch
Smittybilt 17.5k H2O Winch
Trail Ready Bumper
Highway Products Aluminum Flat Bed
Custom Fuel Cell from KSH Fuel Products & Marine out of Havasu
Buyers Products tool boxes
A slew of LED Lights
Rock Slider Steps
Hushpower Muffler
Spyder Headlights
And a couple other things

First thing that went on after paint was the 37" Trepadors!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HouseofDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Slider Steps

Nest I built the steps. So our ranch hand is 72 an only about 5'8" so I had to slope the sliders down for him to have easy ingress and egress.

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Trail Ready Bumper & Smittybilt 17.5 H2O Winch

As far as front bumper's go I've always liked the Trail Ready the best. The thicker gauge steel and 3" baja bull bar will really protect this heavy beast in the toughest conditions. We've lost a lost of body parts sliding off roads in our JK and other rigs and equipment on the ranch. Smittybilt winch went in seamlessly and I really love that it comes with the wireless remote and everything needed. Can't beat the price on these dependable tools.

Amazon LED Lighting

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Thuren 3" Coils and Towers for resi's

Came out to about 1.5" with all of the weight added to the front. I was worried the 3" springs would be too high but it came out perfectly level.

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 04-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Metal Cloak High Clearance Links

I looked long and hard. By far the Metal Cloaks gave me the best clearance for the giant 37" Treps. I was really glad to find out they made these as I've always loved the quality of their product and run a lot of them on our Jeeps. I'm choosing not to run a large offset wheel as to keep the rotating mass directly over the unit bearing as they will be taking enough of a beating in the harsh conditions of Northern California.

Money Shot!

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Spyder Headlights & Light Bar

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 04-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Highway Products Aluminum Flat Bed Install

As far as Aluminum Flat Beds there are a hand full of options out there. But the best products on available are Highway Products.

Piggy Back ride home!

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 04-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
KSH Fuel Cell w/Buyers Products tool box

KSH Fuel Products out of Havasu can make you any custom spec Aluminum Fuel Cell and tool boxes. I only went for the Buyers Product tool box cause I liked the layout and the size was just right. KSH is also making me some undermount boxes with barn doors that I just ordered today. Those will have folding steps on them to make access to the bed easier.

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Good lookin truck. Is that a diesel Scout Traveller in the background?
Travis..
Old 04-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
Good lookin truck. Is that a diesel Scout Traveller in the background?
Travis..
Good eye. Yes sir. This took president to it, but will be going back on the lift to try and complete the VT275 V6 Powerstroke swap when this is done...as long as I don't have to do the Kelderman kit on my wife's truck before the summer.

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Last edited by HouseofDiesel; 04-24-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 71393
That's a nice looking truck. Does the tires rub on the back off the fenders? How much did you push the front end out?

I have a 01 with a Kore 3" lift. my 35 rubbed like crazy so I put long arms on and pushed the front end out around 1" to 1.5". All was good until a went to 37"Nittos and Method wheels. I don't think the Kore springs ever gave me 3" lift. I've been thinking about switching to the Thuren springs and pushing the front end out a little more.

pic for reference.
Attached Images

bradp674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp674 View Post
That's a nice looking truck. Does the tires rub on the back off the fenders? How much did you push the front end out?

I have a 01 with a Kore 3" lift. my 35 rubbed like crazy so I put long arms on and pushed the front end out around 1" to 1.5". All was good until a went to 37"Nittos and Method wheels. I don't think the Kore springs ever gave me 3" lift. I've been thinking about switching to the Thuren springs and pushing the front end out a little more.

pic for reference.
So I used to have a '99 as well and had to do far more fender modifications with a leveling kit as well. The '94-98's firewalls don't go all the way to the bottom of the pinch weld. I'll get a pic tonight. So we only had to shave a few inches up to clear. Metal Cloak's arms do push it forward roughly 1", but they rotate back inward with the lift. I noticed a lot of bind in the steering and links when I installed the springs. The Dodge Off Road steering linkage is on it's way and I am considering flipping the trac bar to the top much like the Ready Lift trac bar does for the Ford Superduties. Haven't checked yet to make sure there is nothing in the way on the top yet but it would also clear up room for the hyrdo assist, since the OE bracket is right in the way of where it need to be mounted. I've seen rams bend drag links when attached toward the middle of the drag link under binding.

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 04-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 192620
Great looking truck. It should ride awesome.
W Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
UPDATE 4/28/17

Quote:

pic for reference.

Here is a picture of the factory inner fender. I don't remember my '99 only coming half way down like this. You can see the lower edge that we simply ground down to clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Vaughan View Post
Great looking truck. It should ride awesome.
Well today was the 1st drive on the freeway to work after alignment. DAMN, this thing rides and tracks nice. Still haven't added the hydro steer as just got the Dodge Offroad steering linkage on for alignment. Only thing left suspension wise is that I'm ordering up Skyjacker springs and looking at running longer bags. These Air Lift bags suck ass for travel. Not a spec of wonder or vibration what so ever though. Amazing to have a 20 year old rig drive this nice down the freeway at 70 mph.

Also got exhaust done this week and the Hushpower muffler really knocked the noise down quit nicely. Really would like it even more quit for on the ranch, but it's an industrial mill and will never be that quit anyways. lol

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 04-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 53013
damn thats a good looking truck
Stockk5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 71393
Thanks for the pics. I don't remember what it looks like behind the plastic liners, but my tires don't rub on them. They only rub on the bottom corner of the pinch weld. I think I'm going to try push the front end forward a little more then buy the Thuren springs. Even if I only gain a 1/2" either way it should be enough.

One other question, does the Thuren shock towers interfere with the air box?
The Kore lift uses a spacer between the frame and shock tower and puts the top off the shock into the air box. Also looks like you need new sway bar end links.
bradp674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Quote:
Thanks for the pics. I don't remember what it looks like behind the plastic liners, but my tires don't rub on them. They only rub on the bottom corner of the pinch weld. I think I'm going to try push the front end forward a little more then buy the Thuren springs. Even if I only gain a 1/2" either way it should be enough.

One other question, does the Thuren shock towers interfere with the air box?
The Kore lift uses a spacer between the frame and shock tower and puts the top off the shock into the air box. Also looks like you need new sway bar end links.
Ya this is the only pic I have of my old '99 and I had a body shop push the lower 6"s back about 1.5" to clear with a leveling kit.

Towers clear the 12V air box easily. Passenger side was way easier to get in. I just disassembled the air box and dropped it in then put everything back. The driver was a b*tch to get around the brake master.

Ya that sway bar is coming off as soon as it gets to the ranch if not before. lol

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Last edited by HouseofDiesel; 04-29-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 61919

Have you thought about using these?

2002 Cummins 47re SCS 5 tons 24.5 R2's

1996 Cummins NV4500 241 2.5 tons 47s

Last edited by Satan's Chariot; 05-04-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Satan's Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan's Chariot View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4QB...ature=youtu.be

Have you thought about using these?
Yep ordered them last week.

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 05-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 176929
just curious, but what kinda ranch is this used on?
luckyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
RSL

Member # 35895
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyj View Post
Bunny Ranch.
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyj View Post
2500 ft elevation in the Shasta Ranges. Needs to be able to go anywhere the Jeep and equipment can go.

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 06-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 762330
Anymore updates since Airbag cradle purchase? Why were you not happy with the air lift?
LeadUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 106654
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadUnleashed View Post
Anymore updates since Airbag cradle purchase? Why were you not happy with the air lift?
Nope. Took it up to Jefferson State Diesel to have them go through the motor and do a couple of the last installs for me after it went to Stereo Solutions to get all the electrical widgets done. They are 3 weeks out and hurried so have still got the Skyjacker springs to throw in and under body tool boxes to throw on.

Bags are okay for a 2WD but the setup extremely restricts travel on 4WD vehicles. They should honestly offer 3 or 4 level bags for 4WD. The way it was I was either restricting up travel or down travel. If I ran them for up travel it'd never be using the leaf springs. Setting it up for down travel it would be riding on the internal bump stops. And Carli Long Travel bags would have been way too long for a stock ride height.

thehouseofdiesel.com

Facebook

Old 06-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 144091
How long did it take to get the DOR parts? Any problems with it? Steering good? I've got some of their parts on my 01 and wanna get their steering linkage and long arms but don't wanna wait as long for the parts as I had to for my shackle flip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.