440/ 727 torque converter - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2002, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2515
440/ 727 torque converter

What stall rating do you guys recommend for my rig? I've got 4.10's and 35's, and my rpm's at freeway speeds are always at @3000-3300. It sucks getting 8mpg with this much rpm at speed. This rpm range nets me speeds between 50 to 70 depending on the load/grade. Any Ideas from the peanut gallery?
Baja Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2790
First off if you are worried about mileage you need to swap your truck for a Honda as far as torque converters go it all depends on your engine.
hy_desert_4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2002, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2515
Depends on Engine- yup!

Thanks, I'm aware of that; however, this is a new rig to me . The motor was supposedly rebuilt by the P.O. for towing his fifth wheel, and that leads me to believe that it was built for torque not H.P.. Unfortunately, I don't know who the P.O. is, so it's a guessing game as to how it was built. Plus the motor seems to crap out at higher rpm's, leading me to believe it was built for low rpm operation; i.e. torquer type cam, and mild compression, etc... I'm not towing a fifth wheel with this. I'm only carrying a pop-up camper. SOoooo, I'm thinking I can run a lower stall converter without putting too much load on the engine, therby lowering the operating rpm's and increasing MPG. I'm not expecting a radical increase. Perhaps 2 more mpg is not out of the question. Anyone getting @ 10 mpg with their big block?
Old 01-24-2002, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3654
what converter is in it now? if the motor was built to be used for low end then use a stock stall or an rv/towing type converter.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2515
what converter is in it now?

A blue one I really don't know if it's stock, but from the rpm's it seems to operate at I'm assuming it's not. I am hoping someone out there can tell me what has worked well for them; i.e., brand, specs, part #........I know most motors are built different, and therefore require different converters for their applications. This motor seems to be a BCH over stock, so this high stall converter is overkill
Old 01-25-2002, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2790
If it is the Dodge engine blue then it is probably the stock one. Just changing the torque converter wont necessarely give you better mileage. The gearing/tire size that you say you have should give you 70mph at 3000 rpm which is within the range you describe. Remember you are trying to push a brick through the air which isnt easy but then the lift to fit the 35 inch tires increase the drag even more. So in my opinion you are probably pretty close to where the max you will get with this vehicle. I had a stock 72 with a 440/727 with 4.10 that only got 9-10 mpg. You could add FI/low stall converter/headers/good ignition system but you would probably only gain 1/2 mpg so how much are you willing to spend for for the minute gain you will get
hy_desert_4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2515
HOW MUCH $$$$

Everything I've got! Yeah, right! I hear ya, and I've been down this road before with other poor mpg rigs. Currently, I have the new Mopar perf. distributor, orange box, MSD blaster coil, MSD wires, but no other goodies(YET!) I'm planning on headers (suggestions welcome), high flow muffs, edelbrock Q-jet, maybe a cam.
Yeah , I guess the rpm's are about right for 70 mph. BUT, I'm at 3k from about 50 to 70mph. I just think the thing is slipping too much at lower speeds. I'd like it to reach a lower stall speed at about 50 mph. Does that make much sense?
Old 01-25-2002, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
IH/Rover Moderator

Member # 17
Send a message via ICQ to Old Scout
Do even think about mileage until you get rid of that thermo quad

BUY MY BOAT
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/misc-...e-history.html
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 06:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1160
A quick numbers work up on the calculator shows around 2550 rpm at 65 with the mentioned gears and rubber, shows 3000 @ 75.

Now if you are turning these kind of revs you mention at slower speeds, you need a convertor. I run an modified RV convertor(for lower stall) in the Heep (440 / 727). I'd say somewhere along the line Ricky Racer had his fingers in this mix and put I high stall convertor in it.

Try this, at the speed and rpm mentioned watch the tach, blip the throttle, does the tach jump with no speed change? It shouldn't.

You also have to remeber your driving a brick wall as far as aerodynamics go.

[URL=http://www.colorado4X4.org]CO4X4.org[/URL] Wheel the Rockies
Bob Levenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2515
"Try this, at the speed and rpm mentioned watch the tach, blip the throttle, does the tach jump with no speed change? It shouldn't. "

Yep! That's what is happening. The tach rises a few hundred rpm's and the speed slowly follows. So you say you're running a modified rv converter. How is it modified? Or, did you use an off the shelf/ out of the catalog rv converter? What exactly is your "advertised" stall speed? Thanks Mucho.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 1160
I have no idea. My tranny shop owner buddy had it made for me. They started with an off the shelf RV convertor and he had them "lower" the stall. Don't know how, but it works good.

I'd just run a RV convertor. RV meaning motorhome. The stall speed is a touch lower in these as compared to the standard truck convertor. But then again the whole stall speed thing is relative to so many factors. I bet you got a "ricky racer" type convertor in that thing. Does it take a lot of throttle to get it going from a dead stop?

[URL=http://www.colorado4X4.org]CO4X4.org[/URL] Wheel the Rockies
Bob Levenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 2515
RICKY RACER

Compared to my IH 345/ 727 that I have in my Scout, it does take way more throttle too get it going. I can just touch the IH throttle and I'm experiencing mega G's The Dodge seems to wind up, and then go. It's a very smooth transition, and I feel a lack of torque. The tranny is not slipping, and seems to be very tight. It was re-built and shift kitted before I got my hands on it. I think you're right. Ricky was drinking too much coffee the day he decided which converter to use. I think an RV converter should be fine. I'm assuming your stall was lowered for better crawling, which this rig (78 crewcab/ camper) won't be seeing. Thanks for all the help!