Converting a 77 Dana 44 to 8 lug? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2002, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
Converting a 77 Dana 44 to 8 lug?

Ok, I think i can probabally break even on an 8 lug swap, since I have the milemarker conversion kit already in my Power Wagon... but... I wanna go 8 lug with out replacing the knuckles. How can I do it? I was thinking maybe rotors/spindles/hubs off of a 81-84 dodge W-250, but I am not sure. I know that because of the break setup, I dont think I can use chevy parts, can I?? What exactally is needed? Thanks for the help.
Garrett
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2790
To change the fulltime 77 dana 44 to a part time 8 lug you will have to change the knuckles. The fulltime does not have a spindle and the knuckle design is completely different and therefore a spindle will not bolt to it. If you are not wanting to add hubs then you can get the rotor/bearing unit from a 75 to 79 3/4 ton light duty.
To use the 81 to 84 parts( also up to 93) you will need to get the knuckle and all attached parts(spindle/hub/rotor/caliper) plus the stub axle. If you stick to the 81 to 84(pre CAD) you can use the complete axle instead of just the stub axle.
once you have all the parts it is a simple bolt on just like replacing the axle U-Joint.
hy_desert_4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2002, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
You gotta be kiddin me... you mean I cant bolt a spindle to my knuckles?? that sucks ass... Shoot, Now I really gotta think twice weather I want to go through and put the crossover stteering arms on this axle... shoot... what to do, what to do.... know of anyone who wants a dana 44 with milemarker part time conversion, new breaks, bearings, etc... rebuilt in 96 with about 10k miles on it (truck was stopped being driven in early 98... and dismantled in late 98), 3.54 gears, Rancho raised steering arm... set up for 3" lift.. etc etc etc.. damn... this sucks... Garrett
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote