What "anti-spin" is in Dodge axles? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2005, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Member # 1750
Location: Charleston, SC,
Posts: 390
What "anti-spin" is in Dodge axles?

I have a buddy, who has a 1999 Dodge 2500 extended cab 4x4. I believe it has a Dana 60 vs. a Dana 70. I haven't pulled the axles to determine the spline count. My question is, what is the anti spin differential in this axle? And, what are the chances it is a 35 spline?
BTW it is a 4.10 geared axle..
Thanks, Ricky...seeya...
__________________
401 LJ the " RUBINCON "
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member # 41131
Posts: 66
It should be a 'track-lock' LSD.
043500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Member # 15932
Location: Pensacola , Florida
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyR
I have a buddy, who has a 1999 Dodge 2500 extended cab 4x4. I believe it has a Dana 60 vs. a Dana 70. I haven't pulled the axles to determine the spline count. My question is, what is the anti spin differential in this axle? And, what are the chances it is a 35 spline?
BTW it is a 4.10 geared axle..
Thanks, Ricky...seeya...


"Anti-Spin" is Dodges terminology for LSD . If your rear axle is a Dana60 than it should have a T/L but if it is a Dana 70 it will be a P/L and it will be 32 spline .
HTH's Tom
__________________
K-5 C/R = 241
6BT CUMMINS
465-WMS/ORD-205
Dana 60/70 P/L-D/L w/ 5.86's

Pull truck: 2002 BR2500
ETH/DEE NVG-5600/241H.D.
Dana60/80 4.10's
tarussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
"Chip Ninja"
 
desertCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9026
Location: Behind Enemy Lines, CA
Posts: 3,884
Send a message via AIM to desertCJ
What about a Dana 80?
__________________
... .. ...
desertCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member # 23066
Posts: 564
80's are 35 spline
What motor/ Tranny does the truck have?
As said before, if its a 70 It is a powerlock L/S
__________________
09 JK unlimited Rubicon
07 2500 CTD Ram
02 Grand Cherokee
79 Cherokee WT 360/T18/Dana 20
]
v10sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
"Chip Ninja"
 
desertCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member # 9026
Location: Behind Enemy Lines, CA
Posts: 3,884
Send a message via AIM to desertCJ
It is a 24V Cummins with NV4500....it says 80 right on the axle. The invoice sticker says it has 4.10 R+P and a limited slip.
__________________
... .. ...
desertCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Member # 1750
Location: Charleston, SC,
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarussell
"Anti-Spin" is Dodges terminology for LSD . If your rear axle is a Dana60 than it should have a T/L but if it is a Dana 70 it will be a P/L and it will be 32 spline .
HTH's Tom
Tom,
Thanks for the info.. It is a D60 for sure... Will it be a 30, or 35 spline axle?
Thanks again, Ricky...
BTW it is a gas engine.
__________________
401 LJ the " RUBINCON "
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member # 23066
Posts: 564
60's are 30 spline
__________________
09 JK unlimited Rubicon
07 2500 CTD Ram
02 Grand Cherokee
79 Cherokee WT 360/T18/Dana 20
]
v10sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
GRMhick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 87
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 5,779
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
if its a 2500, it uses a dana 70/80 hybrid. Meaning it has a dana 80 cnter section, with dana 70 35 spline tubes, hubs, and shafts. 3500's get the 37 spline dana 80.
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Member # 15932
Location: Pensacola , Florida
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyR
Tom,
Thanks for the info.. It is a D60 for sure... Will it be a 30, or 35 spline axle?
Thanks again, Ricky...
BTW it is a gas engine.

If it's a gas burner it shhould have a Dana 60 in it . I am not sure about if the 60's came with 30 spline or odd ball Dodge only 32 spline just like the 70's that came in the auto diesel 2500's . I do know that it will not have 35 splines axles in it - sorry . The best way to be certain is to pull a shaft and count the splines , there just aren't a whole lot of rear Dana 60 equiped 94 and up Dodges out there.......

HTH's , Tom

I just re-read the post's up above and it looks like V-10 Sport called it to be 30 spline - I read a whole lot more than I post and V10Sport seems to usually be correct so I would go with what he said if you can not pull a shaft.
__________________
K-5 C/R = 241
6BT CUMMINS
465-WMS/ORD-205
Dana 60/70 P/L-D/L w/ 5.86's

Pull truck: 2002 BR2500
ETH/DEE NVG-5600/241H.D.
Dana60/80 4.10's

Last edited by tarussell; 01-13-2005 at 07:29 PM.
tarussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Member # 15932
Location: Pensacola , Florida
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMhick
if its a 2500, it uses a dana 70/80 hybrid. Meaning it has a dana 80 cnter section, with dana 70 35 spline tubes, hubs, and shafts. 3500's get the 37 spline dana 80.

I have not seen any 3500's with anything but 35 splines in the Dana 80's . The large 37 splines are standard fare for the Dana 80 in trucks stouter than 1-Tons but as far as my knowledge goes all 1994 to 2002 Dodge 3500's Dana 80's came with 35 spline side gears just like a Dana 80 equiped 2500.

Tom
__________________
K-5 C/R = 241
6BT CUMMINS
465-WMS/ORD-205
Dana 60/70 P/L-D/L w/ 5.86's

Pull truck: 2002 BR2500
ETH/DEE NVG-5600/241H.D.
Dana60/80 4.10's
tarussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
GRMhick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 87
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 5,779
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
and 360 powered HD trucks got the d70 rear.
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Flake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Member # 19732
Location: Colorado
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMhick
and 360 powered HD trucks got the d70 rear.
Not my friends `00, definately a 60.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 08:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
GRMhick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Member # 87
Location: Scotts Valley, CA
Posts: 5,779
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
As I said, the heavy duty trucks. I think tis the ones with the camper tow package.
The standard dodges got 30 spline 60's, and older trucks got 8 lug 9.25".
GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Member # 15932
Location: Pensacola , Florida
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMhick
As I said, the heavy duty trucks. I think tis the ones with the camper tow package.
The standard dodges got 30 spline 60's, and older trucks got 8 lug 9.25".


Interesting ... I have only seen a handfull of BR2500 H.D. 360 powered trucks and all have had Dana 60 rears .
To the best of my knowledge the L.D 2500 that had the gay eight lug 9-1/4" s/f stopped production shortly after the new body style came out in the mid ninety's - after that all 2500's were H.D.'s .

My 2002 Helms Manual shows the Dana 60 rear axle being offered on the H.D. models trucks too.

Tom
__________________
K-5 C/R = 241
6BT CUMMINS
465-WMS/ORD-205
Dana 60/70 P/L-D/L w/ 5.86's

Pull truck: 2002 BR2500
ETH/DEE NVG-5600/241H.D.
Dana60/80 4.10's
tarussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member # 23066
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMhick
and 360 powered HD trucks got the d70 rear.
Ive seen a few HD v8 2500's and have never seen a 70 in them.
Only thing Ive seen a 70 was auto V10's or diesels

Edit, Ive seen 60's on the camper tow package also.
I had this package on my truck and all it was a rear sway bar on overload leafs
It was a 75 dollar option
__________________
09 JK unlimited Rubicon
07 2500 CTD Ram
02 Grand Cherokee
79 Cherokee WT 360/T18/Dana 20
]

Last edited by v10sport; 01-13-2005 at 08:58 PM.
v10sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2005, 09:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Member # 15932
Location: Pensacola , Florida
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by v10sport
Ive seen a few HD v8 2500's and have never seen a 70 in them.
Only thing Ive seen a 70 was auto V10's or diesels

Edit, Ive seen 60's on the camper tow package also.
I had this package on my truck and all it was a rear sway bar on overload leafs
It was a 75 dollar option

I ordered the "Camper Pep PKG" on my 2500 and all it consisted of is the over-loads and the rear sway bar too. I think it was $180.00 when I ordered my truck .
As far as I know the axle does not get upgraded when the "Camper PKG" is selected - just the extra springs and sway bar .

Tom
__________________
K-5 C/R = 241
6BT CUMMINS
465-WMS/ORD-205
Dana 60/70 P/L-D/L w/ 5.86's

Pull truck: 2002 BR2500
ETH/DEE NVG-5600/241H.D.
Dana60/80 4.10's
tarussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 02:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 39213
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMhick
As I said, the heavy duty trucks. I think tis the ones with the camper tow package.
The standard dodges got 30 spline 60's, and older trucks got 8 lug 9.25".
I've never seen an 8 lug 9.25. I have heard they exist, but never seen one. The 1972-1993 3/4 ton Dodges came with a D60 rear axle, whether 2 or 4 wheel drive. The 4x4's came with an 8 lug D44HD in front, the only part better than the 5 lug version is the bigger brakes. Same axle housing, and 1985-1993 were CAD.
The 89-93 4x4 3/4 tons with the Cummins had a D60 front.

Last edited by SeahawkDodge; 01-14-2005 at 02:55 AM.
SeahawkDodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 12:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Member # 17136
Location: Shoemakersville, PA
Posts: 554
If it is a D70, it's a powerloc. If it's an D80, it's a two-piece tracloc. If it's a D60, could be either a tracloc or a powerloc...I have seen both in the newer trucks (someone might have swap one or the other in though).

They made those eight lug 9.25s until around 96 I think. They were termed a standard duty. I'm with V10sport, the 2500s with a V8 (manual or auto) have a D60, auto backed V10/CTDs got D70s, manual backed V10/CTDs got D80s.

And the D80 in the 2500s is a hybrid with a D80 center and D70 outers. We used bearings and seals I bought for spares for my D70 in my dad's D80 hybrid. I didn't count splines.

The camper package is simply overload springs and a rear sway bar. In the 1970s/80s it gave you a bigger rear like a D60HD instead of a D60. But mine was purchased with a camper special and it was noted as being springs and a sway bar for $180. The LS was $285. The 4.10s were like $55???

steved
steved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Member # 17136
Location: Shoemakersville, PA
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeahawkDodge
I've never seen an 8 lug 9.25. I have heard they exist, but never seen one. The 1972-1993 3/4 ton Dodges came with a D60 rear axle, whether 2 or 4 wheel drive. The 4x4's came with an 8 lug D44HD in front, the only part better than the 5 lug version is the bigger brakes. Same axle housing, and 1985-1993 were CAD.
The 89-93 4x4 3/4 tons with the Cummins had a D60 front.
Some of the mid/late 80s and early 90s D/W250 dodges used a semifloating eight lug 9.25 inch for the rear and a D44HD front. They used the D60 and eight lug 9.25 interchangeably for some time...you didn't get a choice unless you optioned for the D60F (more GVW capacity) then you got the D60 rear.

And from 1975 to 1993 you could option a D60F in your W250 if you wanted by upping the GVW of the package you purchased. Prior to that was a D70F with closed knuckles in the pre-75 trucks.. CTDs did all have the D60Fs/61Fs.

The dodge D44HD used the same brakes from what I have seen but they were eight lug and early versions were 1/2 inch thick tubes (versus later 3/8 inch thick tubes like a 1/2 ton).

And the 89-92 CTD could also have been equipped with a D61F which was found behind the CTDs equipped with a 727 auto...they were 3.08 gears. The 5-spds came with D60Fs with 3.55s or 4.10s.

steved
steved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
ddestruel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Member # 20999
Location: Lost in Nor Cal
Posts: 3,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved
If it is a D70, it's a powerloc. If it's an D80, it's a two-piece tracloc. If it's a D60, could be either a tracloc or a powerloc...I have seen both in the newer trucks (someone might have swap one or the other in though).

They made those eight lug 9.25s until around 96 I think. They were termed a standard duty. I'm with V10sport, the 2500s with a V8 (manual or auto) have a D60, auto backed V10/CTDs got D70s, manual backed V10/CTDs got D80s.

And the D80 in the 2500s is a hybrid with a D80 center and D70 outers. We used bearings and seals I bought for spares for my D70 in my dad's D80 hybrid. I didn't count splines.

The camper package is simply overload springs and a rear sway bar. In the 1970s/80s it gave you a bigger rear like a D60HD instead of a D60. But mine was purchased with a camper special and it was noted as being springs and a sway bar for $180. The LS was $285. The 4.10s were like $55???

steved
94-97/98 Dodge used a power lok in the D80's i have had two of them in 98 they went to the bolt together Trash lok that you correctly identified as a POS and everyone else likes to call a power lok.

Not sure about the 32 spline count on the D70's my books show the D70's with 32 splines ending production in 1993 and that D70/80 axle shafts interchange from 94-2002. Some must have come with 35 spline side gears in 97 because my last powerlok that i robbed out of a 1997 diesel D70 only required minor maching to make it fit my D80 hybrid didnt even have to change side gears. so 35 spline is what they were.
__________________
I AM ONE OF MANY WHOM WASHINGTON HAS CHOSEN TO IGNORE OR FORGET
But i Vote

GO UM Montana Griz

"Jeep Lurker"

KEEP REMEMBERING 9/11

Jeep with Rambler motor, SUA, front 608.9 and some bolt on stuff.

I miss my old 4bt powered chief

Support Frank the Tank
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2005, 09:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Member # 23066
Posts: 564
All the 94 to 02 Dana 70's are 32 spline. Ive had the shafts out of 3 or 4 of them V10 an 2 diesels and all 32 spline. Mine is 32 spline also. ARB and Detroit also list the 94 up Dana 70's as 32 spline
__________________
09 JK unlimited Rubicon
07 2500 CTD Ram
02 Grand Cherokee
79 Cherokee WT 360/T18/Dana 20
]
v10sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.