Pirate 4x4 banner

76 Trailduster

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Trailduster79 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I am purchasing a 76 Trailduster with a NP435 trans, NP203 transfer case and 400B engine. I believe the t-case is trashed as the owner has removed the front driveshaft. Can anyone give me some information on the strength of this Dodge full time system overall? I don't want to buy another NP203 only to have it blow out "locked or unlocked" as I'm planning to beef up the 400 engine and push it a bit in the sand and street. Possibly with 100/150hp nitrous. Am I asking too much from this full time set up? Do I need NP205?

Another question is does anyone know where to get Trailduster resto parts? I've searched a bit for interior items and have come up empty.

Thanks!

Devin

#3 ·
don't assume that 203 is bad. although it is full time chain drive and heavy, i have never had a problem out of one, and never heard of anyone having major issues with them. what i believe is the weak point on these trucks is the full time unit bearing frontends- weak bearings, no lockout capability,etc.

#5 ·
Yeah I may be a bit premature in saying it's toast. I just read that with the front shaft out you can damage the case. I haven't driven the truck yet so I'll install the shaft and see if any evil noises come from it. I guess my main question was if the NP203 differential(spider gears) piece is strong enough for higher torque loads. After reading the Mile Marker conversion article they made it sound like it's still a weak puppy if you run 35's and any kind of power.

#7 ·
Toyoland66 said:
Just budget a 203/205 doubler and your set, get rid of crappy full time 4wheel, get a gear driven transfer case, and a doubler all at the same time
Sounds like the best idea to me. Don't dump the 203 just because. They can last a long time. Ideal cantidate for a conversion when you are ready. Just add your 203 reduction box to a 205.

#9 ·
It could be a 400, especially since he noted that it is a B series engine instead of the high deck RB series. My Parts Manual lists a 400 available in 76' but I can't break it down to see if it was available in the Ramcharger or just in the pickups since they are all in the same manual. I have seen several other Ramchargers with 400s though. Bellhousing is probably worth more than the rest of the truck combined, lol...

#10 ·
Well the motor is pretty greasy so I couldn't read any of the numbers. I just noticed the distributor on the front (vs. rear) and saw it's a 2bbl carb. I think the 440's came with 4bbl's (I may be wrong). Either way I'm happy it's a big block. Is the 400 4 speed are rare option? I'm not very familiar with Mopars. Does the Plymouth version carry more options usually than the Ramcharger? I've yet to dig into the VIN info. Crossing my fingers for a Sure Grip diff in the 9.25!!

#11 ·
devins said:
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I am purchasing a 76 Trailduster with a NP435 trans, NP203 transfer case and 400B engine. I believe the t-case is trashed as the owner has removed the front driveshaft. Can anyone give me some information on the strength of this Dodge full time system overall? I don't want to buy another NP203 only to have it blow out "locked or unlocked" as I'm planning to beef up the 400 engine and push it a bit in the sand and street. Possibly with 100/150hp nitrous. Am I asking too much from this full time set up? Do I need NP205?

Another question is does anyone know where to get Trailduster resto parts? I've searched a bit for interior items and have come up empty.

Thanks!

Devin
Try it and see!:rolleyes:

#13 ·
As someone posted earlier it turns out my NP203 isn't fried after all. I replaced all 3 u-joints in the front shaft and re-installed it. Tried all ranges and it works fine. It sure clunked alot with the front shaft out though. Hopefully the transfer case wasn't damaged with it out. Only one way to find out.

Thanks,

Devin

#15 ·
The 203 isn't that weak. I ran mine with a part time kit with 38.5's for a while, but then something did start to let go, I think it was the differential in the case, but not sure. I had run it for over 2 years locked in part time, so it held up pretty good.

And yes, they did offer the 400 in the 76 Ramcharger, along with the 440

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.