Dana 60 hub removal - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 62525
Dana 60 hub removal HELP Please!!!

How the hell do you get these things off??? Any tips or links on how to replace the front dana 60 wheel hubs in an abs equiped 2001 dodge 2500 4x4 with the central axle disconnect? Thanks in advance, Jim.

Last edited by xjbeerwagon; 11-25-2006 at 05:07 PM.
xjbeerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 28779
Send a message via AIM to 98hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbeerwagon
How the hell do you get these things off??? Any tips or links on how to replace the front dana 60 wheel hubs in an abs equiped 2001 dodge 2500 4x4 with the central axle disconnect? Thanks in advance, Jim.
Get the caliper and pads off, and the caliper bracket if yours has one. Remove the axle shaft nut. Then back out the 4 hub bolts on the back. Most all hubs are siezed to the knuckle. Back out the bolts, and the best way I've found to break the hub free is get a 1/2" drive socket for the hub bolts, then get some extensions, put in the proper location and use the power steering to press the hub bolt against the socket and extensions. Do it several times top and bottom and right and left and it will come out eventually.

Last edited by 98hd; 11-25-2006 at 06:31 PM.
98hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 79797
Big Friggen hammer, and some PB Blaster!!!! Then ya gotta use a press to get the hub out of the Rotor. Tons of fun!!!
mntnceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 62525
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98hd
Get the caliper and pads off, and the caliper bracket if yours has one. Remove the axle shaft nut. Then back out the 4 hub bolts on the back. Most all hubs are siezed to the knuckle. Back out the bolts, and the best way I've found to break the hub free is get a 1/2" drive socket for the hub bolts, then get some extensions, put in the proper location and use the power steering to press the hub bolt against the socket and extensions. Do it several times top and bottom and right and left and it will come out eventually.
Brilliant!!! I would've never thought of using the ps pump to press them out. I used it to get them started and then I just worked a chisel around them after that until they popped out. I had all of the bolts out but I didn't know if they were just seized in there (i figured that much) but I thought they may have been a pressed fit and I was going to have to take the knuckels off and put them on a press...which I really didn't want to do. Thanks, Jim.
xjbeerwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 28779
Send a message via AIM to 98hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbeerwagon
Brilliant!!! I would've never thought of using the ps pump to press them out. I used it to get them started and then I just worked a chisel around them after that until they popped out. I had all of the bolts out but I didn't know if they were just seized in there (i figured that much) but I thought they may have been a pressed fit and I was going to have to take the knuckels off and put them on a press...which I really didn't want to do. Thanks, Jim.

No problem, I did it the hard way on my '98 back in the day and ruined both hubs taking them off. When I had to do the balljoints on my '03 I found that method on the TDR and it worked great.
98hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 77635
So the hub and bearings and everything is one unit right. Ive got a bearing thats worn i tryed to tighten it up but i wasnt sure. Can you rebuild it or is it better just to bit the bullet and get a new one?
Dodgeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 82864
The bearings and hubs that attach to the steering knuckle are all one piece from my experience in dealing with the 4x4 Dana 60 front end. The Napa parts store should have the wheel hubs I am sure you can find them cheaper else where I was just in a pinch and that was the only place that had them in stock. Mine were about $256.00 a piece for my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500. The only reason that was because I have ABS on my truck. The one's without ABS are about $200 a piece. The only diffrence between the two that I could see is the one with ABS has the speed sensor in it. If I were you I would replace both the driver and the passanger side. Better to be safe than sorry. In my opinion if one is out the othe must not be far behind.
88beeryota is offline   Reply With Quote