clutch problems - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 49744
clutch problems

i have a 99 ram1500 5speed. i was out in some sand the other day and was in 4hi tooling around. i entered a softer area and started to sink. i put it in 4lo and started to crawl out. once i got out of the sand i had a vibration. now when the clutch is out i can come to a complete stop and the truck wont even loose rpms. i have to rev it up pretty high just to get it moving. my thoughts were that the flywheel got hot spots on it and burnt up the clutch disc. what do you think.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 62561
Might just be a bunch of crud still in there.

1985 Chevy Crew Cab 6bt/P Pump/NV4500/205/D60,70/40's
Hammered Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 49744
ok now i have another prob. i was driving into barstow and the motor died. when i went to put in the clutch i heard a snapping sound and now i have no clutch pedal at all but i have no slippage. so at least i can move now just trying to get it to stop. any hints now????
Old 05-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 66647
I know from a shitty experence on my Jeep that the crossmember being lose and the body flexing will somehow cause the clutch linkage bolts to break clean off the bellhousing. I don't know how hydro clutchs work, and I'd assume on a new vehicle it has one. Maybe something to look into. Maybe something is lose.

You'd def know if it broke off like mine, your clutch stays on the floor all the time. ;-)
Old 05-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiGrind View Post
I know from a shitty experence on my Jeep that the crossmember being lose and the body flexing will somehow cause the clutch linkage bolts to break clean off the bellhousing. I don't know how hydro clutchs work, and I'd assume on a new vehicle it has one. Maybe something to look into. Maybe something is lose.

You'd def know if it broke off like mine, your clutch stays on the floor all the time. ;-)
That won't happen on a hydro clutch and this should be hydro.

Sounds to me like the throw out bearing may be toast. Unfortunately, in order to check it out you'll have to pull the tranny.
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2790
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfbgreaser289 View Post
ok now i have another prob. i was driving into barstow and the motor died. when i went to put in the clutch i heard a snapping sound and now i have no clutch pedal at all but i have no slippage. so at least i can move now just trying to get it to stop. any hints now????
Sand running in a heavy truck is very hard on a clutch especially one that is most likely on its last legs already..
It is time to replace the clutch and have the flywheel resurfaced
hy_desert_4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 49744
alright for an update. its my brothers truck and heres what it was. at first it was just cuz the clutch was toast. as i was driving to get another clutch the damn thing died on me. i pressed down on the pedle and heard a snap. now all of a sudden i have total ingagement and no clutch pedal. so i said screw it ill fix it at my shop. i drove it from barstow to bakersfield with no clutch. got it in the shop and pulled the trans out. the disc had broke. it only had 1/3 of the disc in tact. the rest of it was overlaping. when i first pulled the trans out all but three of the tongs on the pressure plate where pressed down. flywheel was purple and had deep groves along with at least 6 or 7 cracks. as i pulled the trans out i found that the rear output on his tcase was cracked all the way around. shitty weekend for him. anyhow he got me back to the airport in vegas and im hoping he makes it back to the army base without the damn this taking a crap on him.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 51243
wow, I am going to go out on a limb and say that either he has some balance issues with his flywheel, or he smoked the f&ck out of it more than once or twice or twenty times.
I would replace the flywheel, pressure plate, disc (obviously), pilot bushing, throwout bearing, all hardware, check in the tranny input shaft and splines, the bearing retainer (the part that the throwout bearing rides on).
I would also check to make sure the bell housing isn't cracked and that the transmission mounts are solid and intact.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 49744
all was ok. sep the flywheel throw out bearing clutch disk and the pressure plate. mount and bell were fine. he's pretty pist that he fucked all this stuff up. but he really doesnt know how to drive a stick. he revs it to about 3 grand and kinda does a slip/pop on the clutch to get the truck moving and a 5.2 with a 4wd xcab sb truck you cant do that and exspect the clutch to last i told him to knock it off and learn how to drive but its his truck and what he does is his own shit im just not putting another clutch in it. oh and for the record these trannies are really freggin light. im used to trying to stab a np435 into a bell and that is hell. bench pressing this tranny is way easy.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 83850
thanks

first of all thanks for the help, starting to learn a little of what this stuff is. now that were done bagging on the way i drive. it is my first manual tranny and we have to learn sometime. does anyone know where i can find a new output for my t case? auto zone checkers and the local pick and pull dont have what i need? any help would be great. see you in iraq GFB, later bro
let_me_race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 49744
he needs the rear output housing. not the small housing but the one imediately after the tcase housing. he has a nv241
Old 05-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 51243
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfbgreaser289 View Post
all was ok. sep the flywheel throw out bearing clutch disk and the pressure plate. mount and bell were fine. he's pretty pist that he fucked all this stuff up. but he really doesnt know how to drive a stick. he revs it to about 3 grand and kinda does a slip/pop on the clutch to get the truck moving and a 5.2 with a 4wd xcab sb truck you cant do that and exspect the clutch to last i told him to knock it off and learn how to drive but its his truck and what he does is his own shit im just not putting another clutch in it. oh and for the record these trannies are really freggin light. im used to trying to stab a np435 into a bell and that is hell. bench pressing this tranny is way easy.

As for your friends driving habits, that kind of clutch engagement is going to kill your clutch disc and pressure plate every time until he learns to drive it right. A 3000 rpm clutch engagement is going to smoke your clutch disc every time, stock clutches weren't made to do that.

Last edited by GMCTruxrule; 05-28-2007 at 06:45 PM.
GMCTruxrule is offline   Reply With Quote