Alien Patrol Winch Bumpers - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 75387
Alien Patrol Winch Bumpers

Recently after hearing about Alien Patrol Bumpers on several Forums, and the flaming of it's owner Jim Terry, I became very interested in the truth and obtaining a winch bumper for my truck.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, I encourage you to do some searching about Alien Patrol Bumpers and their relationship with Jim's old company Road Armor which I will sum up for you in my post.

I contacted Jim Terry (owner of Alien Patrol) by e-mail and stated that I was in the market for a winch bumper and would like to buy one as soon as possible. I told Jim that I liked the Road Armor and Alien Patrol design as well as the Buckstop bumpers and was undecided at the moment. I told Jim about my skeptisism about him and his company based on how he was being flamed on several forums and by Road Armor owners and associates. I proposed to Jim that if he was willing to send a "N/C" bumper I could look at and mount to give my impressions of, then if I liked the bumper I would gladly pay for it.

I did not think that I would even hear back from Jim ( I mean how many business owners respond to a e-mail from somebody that they have never heard from asking for basically a free bumper on just a "promise" to pay)?

I received a phone call from Jim the next day. Jim asked if I wanted to hear the truth behind his circumstances with Alien Patrol vs. Road Armor, and I said sure.

Jim told me that he was one of the founding partners of the original Road Armor company along with three other people. Jim said that he was the chief designer and motivator behind the products and that the other partners provided accounting and general business support. Jim told me that after some time with a successful company and proven track record, his partners began to sour on Jims constant pushing and pursuit to become bigger and better.

This terminated with Jim going on vacation and returning to find out his "Partners" had performed a hostile take over of Jims stake in the Road Armor company and one of his partners also drained his personal bank account (he was his personal accountant too).

Jim was basically finacially ruined. He worked for Trail Ready for a while selling his designs to their conmpany. Trail Ready ultimately went with Buckstop style bumpers.

Jim founded the Alien Patrol company and attempted to get his business up and running, but everytime he thought he had details worked out, he would run into problems created by his old associates who were trying to stop him from selling the Alien Patrol bumpers. Even going so far as to find out where Jim was subletting some of his parts and then meeting with his sublet vendors and convincing them to not do business with Jim.

I told Jim that if he was willing to make me a bumper at absolutely no cost to me, and ship it for free to me for me to inspect and mount, that I would pay him the retail price for the bumper if everything worked out as he promised. Pretty safe for me, and a total gamble for Jim, but he agreed to do it anyway.

The bumper I picked was the Lunar series for my 1999 Ram. I have a 3" body lift on my truck, but after doing some research on the bumpers I found that although they could make one to adapt to the body lift (Jim's Road Armor designs for body lifted trucks have been around for years) they basically make the bumper taller to meet the lifted body, and I did not like that look as it is too big and gaudy for my tastes. Some guys like that look, but I want the bumper to be as small (thin) as possible, or more like the non-body lifted one.

Jim told me that he could design some new brackets for the standard bumper so that I could use it on my body lifted truck. It would have to be notched at the bottom where the frame rails are to allow the non body lift bumper to raise 3", but it could be done he thought.

Jim went out of his way to design these brackets for me. Remember, he's doing this for somebody he doesn't know and for no money down (a real scam artist as posted in the attached thread!).

The bumper was ready to ship in 2 weeks and then I changed the bumper order by adding a pre-runner bar. This caused another weeks delay (my fault, I was the one who changed my mind). Jim ordered the bar, bent it and welded it to my bumper. Again, I have not paid a penny for (this guy should be thrown in jail. How does such a criminal operate so freely?).

Jim sent me pictures of my completed bumper and a Pro number to track my shipment after installing the prerunner bar. (Horrible customer service, I mean who e-mails the customer with tracking numbers without the customer asking for them????).

My bumper arrived yesterday!

Here is the bumper as I ordered it. It is an Alien Patrol Lunar-R series winch bumper for a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500, modified to fit a 3" body lift. Shipped bare metal (I'm going to Line X mine):

I will be test mounting the bumper tomorrow to see if it fits with the modifications I asked him to make. Should the test fit go as hoped, I will be paying Jim for the bumper immediately.

The construction of the bumper appears first rate. Coming from the designer of Road Armor, it looks exactly like one. The construction and welds are very professional looking and the bumper arrived on a pallet very well anchored down.

To be continued after I test fit it tomorrow........................, but I don't anticipate any problems. I found Jim to be very easy to deal with during this whole process. He kept constant communication via e-mail on the progress of my build, and not once did he fail to deliver on any promise he made.

I cannot say enough good things about Jim, being a business owner who would be willing to send a $ 1700.00 retail product out to an unknown person who he had only a couple of e-mails and phone calls with just on his word. I have not payed one penny for this bumper yet. I have not given him my credit card number or any securities in any way shape or form. Just my word that I will pay for the bumper if it looked good and fit right.

I would say the "Myth" behind Jim Terry and Alien Patrol can be put to rest and I would wholeheartedly recommend anyone give him a try if your looking for a winch bumper.

I want to also clarify that I am in no way affiliated with Jim Terry or Alien Patrol.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 75387
Well, here it is mounted and it is fantastic! Keep in mind, this is the first of it's kind being a standard bumper modified to fit a body lift truck (instead of a bumper built and designed for a body lift):

I am going to get it coated in Line X on Monday and I will post up some completed pics then, so stay tuned!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 40162
Looks nice, I will look into it if I ever need a bumper that $pendy. Not trying to be a jerk, but why only a 2 minute difference in posts when you mentioned receiving the bumper yesterday and would install it tomorrow?? Seems a bit spamish to me, or maybe theres some concept here I am not grasping??
Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 75387
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldstallyn73 View Post
Looks nice, I will look into it if I ever need a bumper that $pendy. Not trying to be a jerk, but why only a 2 minute difference in posts when you mentioned receiving the bumper yesterday and would install it tomorrow?? Seems a bit spamish to me, or maybe theres some concept here I am not grasping??
Spamish or informational review call it what you will, I had the original post on another forum and I just cut and pasted to this one and now that I have the installed pics I posted them up right after cause I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do it all in one post.

Just thought I'd throw some props out there for a good product and let others know there are options. Like it or don't like it it's just info.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlbill View Post
Recently after hearing about Alien Patrol Bumpers on several Forums, and the flaming of it's owner Jim Terry,

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

I want to also clarify that I am in no way affiliated with Jim Terry or Alien Patrol.
You just got lied to..... SHOCKER! Jim is a crook and will always be a crook. I know the other partys involved from 2 seperate companys. just be glad you got your product. I have met him he has lied directly to my face stopping by my shop. If he where on fire I would not piss on him to put him out.

Team 198
S&N FAB BRAVO elite TJ

Superior axle, BC4x4.com, Beard seats, longfield joints and slugs, bilstein, BFG, tom woods, PSC, Fast flashings, QA-1, Mirage racing, and Dynatrac.
SNORTclown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 40162
Quote:
Spamish or informational review call it what you will, I had the original post on another forum and I just cut and pasted to this one and now that I have the installed pics I posted them up right after cause I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do it all in one post.

Just thought I'd throw some props out there for a good product and let others know there are options. Like it or don't like it it's just info.
Fair enough, makes sense now that you explain it that way. Just looked a bit odd to me is all I was getting at. I have never read anythig about him or his business anywhere else, so good luck to him if he is a stand up guy.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 53597
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNORTclown View Post
You just got lied to..... SHOCKER! Jim is a crook and will always be a crook. I know the other partys involved from 2 seperate companys. just be glad you got your product. I have met him he has lied directly to my face stopping by my shop. If he where on fire I would not piss on him to put him out.
Where was he lied to? about?

out cali style!!!!!!
piratebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 49939
Send a message via AIM to comeonstart
Quote:
and I did not like that look as it is too big and gaudy for my tastes. Some guys like that look, but I want the bumper to be as small (thin) as possible, or more like the non-body lifted one.
I would say the bumper you got is aweful big and gawdy
________
EmiliaHot

Last edited by comeonstart; 08-23-2011 at 08:54 PM.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 10761
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonstart View Post
I would say the bumper you got is aweful big and gawdy
And I would say it looks pretty good....except for the big Alien Patrol logo.
Jerry Blair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
MC
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
Nice bumper on your pickup truck. Got any tech to share?

Fully machined components
We own the MFG process, click me
.................................................. .........

American Motors Engine HERE!!
TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689
MC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 66647
Are you going to patrol the border for aliens now?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
Dang, that thing looks HEAVY.Did you have to up your spring rate to hold that up?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12257
Send a message via AIM to American
WTF is everybody's problem? The company sent him the product without payment. I have never had that happen. Usually they want the payment during the order, and you'll get your shit when you get it.

Gawdy? It's a road armor style bumper, of course it's going to be sort of big. And have you ever worked on a 94-01 Dodge? They almost HAVE to be big in the middle section. I'd say that's one of the smallest profile bumpers on a body-lifted Dodge that I have ever seen.

I'll stop there.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 53597
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
WTF is everybody's problem? The company sent him the product without payment. .
We read that-what's your point?

out cali style!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 89160
Glad it worked out for you now all you need to do is get those stickers and badges off your truck, or do you leave the tags on your shirts too
Kriswithak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 75387
Lied to?
It's very possible I got lied as I make no claims to knowing the whole story because I'm not part of it. I just know I got a brand new bumper without having to put money up front, and I got to mount and test fit it again without having to pay for it. I got the owner of the company to work with me personally on a design I could be happy with.

I communicated with Jim by phone and in e-mails over a several week period as we ironed out the designs. Not once did I get the impresion that he was anything but honest and trustworthy.

So having experienced that, I'll take the word of someone I personally delt with and respect over some poster on an internet forum who says he knows the owner of Alien Patrol and says he has been lied to by him without providing any proof whatsoever. To be honest, it wouldn't change my opinion of the man anyway as my personal experience with him has been great. Maybe he just doesn't like you if you have even met him as you say you have.

My intention was not to get in a "he said she said" argument, but to merely provide a reveiw of an available product for full sized Dodge trucks, beleive what you will.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 66647
I like it, real nice, propotional to the vehicle while still showing itself as a bumper.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 84916
Location: UNDER THE BIG BLUE SKY AND ON TOP OF THE BROWN DIRT
I have and always will like that design, now knowing that Road Armor is filled with greedy pricks, I may just have to conatct Jim and see what he can do for my '05 CTD... I like that style and contrary it isn't all that heavy due to the gauge of steel he uses, looks heavy but actually isnt... and it looks alike a quality built product, as for the he said,she said.... it's deteremental when someone destroys your hard earned repuatation and you have to bite the bullet to show that you're a stand up person and company, Just make sure he isn't left pissing in the wind per se, he fufilled his end of the deal.... and I am sure you will do the right thing... and taht does go to show Jim is an upstanding kinda guy to do that...
I mean fucking seriously.. do you people think I'd do something like this just because I thought the fucking bullshit drama some of you would try to stir up would be fun for me to deal with? Sometimes I hate you people.
MightyRAM_97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 87903
that thing looks pretty good, i have built bumpers for almost every truck on the market today and the dodge is the hardest to make look/fit right, that guy pulled it off nicely.
Cal4xRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12257
Send a message via AIM to American
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratebuggy View Post
We read that-what's your point?
Are you slow?

He gets it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyRAM_97 View Post
... and taht does go to show Jim is an upstanding kinda guy to do that...
Old 07-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 53597
Quote "WTF is everybody's problem? The company sent him the product without payment. " Unquote
It looks to me like only one guy didn't get it-so my question was more along the lines of--- Who's "everybody"? One guy appears to think this guy is a liar or something-and he won't answer any questions as to why (that I asked-go back and look) and everybody else in this thread disagrees with him. It just seemed kind of wierd to me that he's asking "what is EVERYBODIES problem" when he should have asked-what is that one guys problem. I realize I may not have explained that very well before, but that doesn't make ME slow. Are you slow?

out cali style!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:54 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 96047
HAHAAHA!!!!!! Jim has got to be off his rocker to allow the company to be called Alien Patrol.
Next there will be something in India called Goat Stopper Bumpers
tundra03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 75387
Names are just names dude. I mean Toyota named your truck "Tundra" after a type of ground/meadow. What does that have to do with anything? Nothing, but thanks for sharing I guess???
Old 07-25-2007, 12:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
Damn you chuckie...

Member # 85316
Send a message via AIM to svt150j49
id look into bracing where the bumper was notched around the frame... much of the strength in the bumper is the lower angle... id think if you wacked the outside of the bumper it may bend or crack...

just my .02

Build thread:
Here

The un-named buggy - 2.3L, lotsa tube, and FJ80s.
svt150j49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 23650
Thief, lier, con man.

EVERYTHING YOU READ ON A FORUM IS THE TRUTH.

Fact: Jim Terry will throw out offers to popular forums to create some free advertising from a big poster. He no doubt sent you another customers bumper funded with yet another customers money. thats his MO.

Fact: Road Armor act I: (Jim Terry) went bankrupt in 2000 after exhausting all his parents and friends investments.

Fact: Road Armor act II. Terry work at Trailready for 2-1/2 years as an employee designing the "road armor series" of Trailready bumpers. When he left, he downloaded company owned design files. TR claims to have paid around 200,000.00 to cover Terrys unfilled orders and Kill the Road Armor brand.

Fact: Road Armor act III. Terry lies about his role at TR and the proprietary nature of the design files, in order to entice new partners to help him resurect the Road Armor name. His partners eventually see the light and show him the door. He wasn't on vacation, he was drunk and passed out at the time, which was becoming more and more common.

Fact: Road Armor act IV: Terry takes the same old LIE and (guess what, all the new design files) to JD Distributing, a Road Armor "dealer" and forms Road Armor USA. JD gets to know the real Jim (see a pattern here?) and shows him the door.

Fact: Road Armor act V: T-Rock Axles.com Terry attemps to market a innovative high clearance axle idea that originated with one of Road Armors Partners. People got screwed.

Fact: Road Armor act VI: Alien-Patrol. with no traction with the T-Rock Axle, Jim turns back to years of stolen and copied design files and starts up Alien Patrol.

Who Cares? Jim has systematically screwed EVERY past investor, partner, employer, vendor and many, many customers over the past twelve years.

When Road Armor kicked him out, he reapt what he sowed.
Bottom line? Everyone who knows Jim wants him out of this industry.

nhlbill, trust me, you don't know Jim Terry. It's the world against Jim, for good reason.

Det. Trafford
Det Trafford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.