84 dodge axles 5 lug 44 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 92071
84 dodge axles 5 lug 44

hey guys gotta question forya! i got a toy who needs an axle swap and would like to run my dana 44's outta my 84 dodge pickup.. well being the newbie that i am would like to know about these axles before i get too. carried away with it. does anyone know the restrictions im gonna face with these axles. like to do a high steer and regear to 4:88's. thos are the nessesary things that ill want but wondering if there is any kind of nuckle swap that could be done to get a 6lug patteren with it. if anyone could help me with any info it would be greatly appereciated!!! thnx:bee r:
turbocoorslight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Send a message via AIM to mondtster
You could use GM or Jeep 6 lug outers on the dana 44 to get your bolt pattern. All the normal stuff that people do to Ford and GM dana 44 axles should work on the Dodge too so you should be good to go for a high steer setup and whatever else you want to do as well.

I'm a bit confused by your question. Are you only asking about the front axle or are you asking about both front and rear axles out of this Dodge?
mondtster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 17024
Send a message via AIM to Trailduster79
you can swap on GM Dana 44 hubs, or Waggy hubs onto the Dodge stuff. I am pretty sure that the GM 10 bolt hubs will work too. I know that the 10 bolt stub shafts are the same.

Dodge 44's are good for the high steer because they come factory with flat top knuckles, so just get them drilled and tapped for the arms and you are good to go.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 77811
Dodge 1/2 ton rear is a Corporate 9.25 C-clip axle.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 92071
thnx much.

see i really apprecieate the help ith these questions. to answer a question im kinda asking about both the axles. since they are both 5 lug can the rears be converted to six lugs?. now the yoter boys are sayin that there is no locker kits for either axle. now since i don't know much about them all the help is very much appreciated!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25349
To the best of my knowledge, you'll be looking at custom axles or some adapters to switch the Chrysler 9.25 axle from 5 lug to 6 lug. With that said, I must ask why even bother? If you plan to use both axles they will both have the same bolt pattern. If you are thinking about using some 6 lug wheels, I think you would have more wrapped up into trying to adapt the axles to the 6 lug bolt pattern than you would if you just got a set of 5 lug wheels.

Your 'yota buddies aren't very bright if they say there aren't any locker kits for a dana 44. There is at least a Detroit Locker for the rear, and I'm not sure what else may be available for them beyond that.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 77811
I would choose a Ford 9" over the Dodge 9.25, but if you want a half ton axle with 6 lugs - why not go with a chevy 12 bolt rear? There is quite alot of aftermarket stuff for them and reasonably strong (for a 1/2 ton) in stock form.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 92071
full sizin'!

well that good news about the dodges. actually i have a set of rims for them. and a ctuall tires too. probalbly 33"s. i consider my self one of a junkyard builder . my buddy is a dodge man has runn nothin but dodge his whole life and swears by them . he uses his for haulin big loads and has yet ever come close to ever breakin them. so you know it is something to consider with them ill check to find out what the rear is on that truck. would wanna run 37's with a full size swap like that for the best clearance though
Old 07-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25349
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustrtal View Post
I would choose a Ford 9" over the Dodge 9.25, but if you want a half ton axle with 6 lugs - why not go with a chevy 12 bolt rear? There is quite alot of aftermarket stuff for them and reasonably strong (for a 1/2 ton) in stock form.
I would probably go with a 9" Ford as well instead of a Dodge 9.25 for the simple reason that there are more gear ratio choices. The pinion is also much larger as well and there is an endless aftermarket.

The Chrysler 9.25 is a good axle though and I've heard of quite a few people running in the 37" tall tire range on them without problems. I don't have any first hand experience doing that however. I've run the wheels off of several 9.25 axles on the road, off road (with small tires), and towing heavy things. They are a great axle other than the limited gear choices IMHO.

As far as the Chevy 12 bolt goes, they have the same size axle shafts as a Dana 44 and a Chevy 10 bolt. I think I'd probably look for something a bit larger than that for a set of 37" tires, but if you are easy on the gas pedal I've seen 30 spline axles in 10 bolts hold up to 40" tires for several seasons of wheeling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.