Dodge V10 Pushrods in valley - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 33381
Dodge V10 Pushrods in valley

2000 Dodge V10 -100K

Truck was bought ebay special, d-side rockerarms had been removed already on one cylinder. On the passengerside pushrods had just got out. I assummed that the lifters had collapsed however I pulled the intake and 2 were blown apart the others in question were not collapsed and the the keeper tabs were bent up and out of the way with the locating bracket floating around in there. My assuption is the lifter was stuck up not down and that is why it happened. I did a leak down test on the cylinders and are fine.

Anyone seen this before, i am going to just put lifters in it, and hope for the best one pushrod was bent so i got one of those. the pushrod bore is not good but boring for oversize seems a little much. Anybody have any advice input on this.
EastCoastGearSupply.com
919-672-2705
cperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy_old_fart
check cam timing.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 22676
Send a message via ICQ to TNRanger Send a message via AIM to TNRanger
What does the lifter bore look like? Why did it stick/ and up? Is there crud in the oil galley restricting that particular lifter? I wouldn't just drop a lifter in the hole and expect it to work(although you may get lucky and it will).

www.fabricatorsfileexchange.com
TNRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 33381
the lifter bores in question are to loose some scaring, corect me if i am wrong but even if the cam timing was off it would not cause problems, truck ran with 3 rockerarms off an another three on the other side with out push rods. if cam timing was off wouldn't it just run like crap.
EastCoastGearSupply.com
919-672-2705
Old 08-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 22676
Send a message via ICQ to TNRanger Send a message via AIM to TNRanger
i can't believe with 3 rocker arms off it hasn't hydrauliced a cylinder and bent a rod. Were all 3 intake rockers?

www.fabricatorsfileexchange.com
TNRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cperry View Post
the lifter bores in question are to loose some scaring, corect me if i am wrong but even if the cam timing was off it would not cause problems, truck ran with 3 rockerarms off an another three on the other side with out push rods. if cam timing was off wouldn't it just run like crap.
If it ran like crap with 3 rocker arms off, how do you know it ISNT cam timing?
Improper cam timing (this means the cam and crank are out of time, out of phase, not lined up correctly upon assembly, or it jumped time) would lead to bent valves, due to the valve hitting the piston as it came close to TDC. would it happen on ALL cylinders? yes.... but if it was only one tooth off on the timing chain, got overwound, locks pulled through the retainers and started dropping valves... it would sure as HELL bend pushrods. Something has to give.

yes, these engines will run if equipped with efi.... the computer will try to make adjustments to keep it running, too. The computer cant "see" where the timing marks are. It just thinks that its needing more advancement to fire the plug and create an optimum reading for the 02 sensor. sure, itll run like shit, but itll run.

Check the valves and retainers. check the cam timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRanger View Post
i can't believe with 3 rocker arms off it hasn't hydrauliced a cylinder and bent a rod. Were all 3 intake rockers?
Dude... youre a tard. What would 3 rocker arms being off do to hydraulic the engine? its an air pump, not a water pump. The only way to hydraulic it is to introduce liquid. on top of that, Ive seen v8s run like a champ on only 4 cylinders...(someone forgot to hook up the other side of the engines plug wires)

What I like more than anything else is the lifters staying in the lifter bores. thank god for hydraulic roller lifter retainers, eh?

Last edited by Grumpy_old_fart; 08-04-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Grumpy_old_fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 33381
I am familiar with valves bending, my point is and again correct me if i am wrong, but in order for the valves to bend contact to be made on a pushrod motor isn't it going to have to be way off, off enough that it wouldn't even run. And I did a leak down test on the cylinders in question which would have proven a bent valve. The only way it could hydrolock is if the rings did not let the fuel wash down and you ran it for a really long time like that. the difference in a v8 running on no spark is the exhuast valve is leting the fuel out the pipe. As for the retainer it broke also or at least bent out of the way.
EastCoastGearSupply.com
919-672-2705

Last edited by cperry; 08-04-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cperry View Post
I am familiar with valves bending, my point is and again correct me if i am wrong, but in order for the valves to bend contact to be made on a pushrod motor isn't it going to have to be way off, off enough that it wouldn't even run. And I did a leak down test on the cylinders in question which would have proven a bent valve. The only way it could hydrolock is if the rings did not let the fuel wash down and you ran it for a really long time like that. the difference in a v8 running on no spark is the exhuast valve is leting the fuel out the pipe. As for the retainer it broke also or at least bent out of the way.

if the retainer is bent... check for locks to be inside of it still.

Im willing to bet a dollar to a donut hole that someone overrevved the FAWK outta this thing. Just so you know, you CAN bend a valve when the timing is set correctly.

A few years ago, i was racing my truck, and leaving the line at 6300 rpm in 3rd gear low range and dumping the clutch... shifting at 6500 into 4th gear... Missed one shift, wouldnt you know...dropped a valve, it bent, broke the guide, didnt hurt the piston... I raced two more passes, even though I lost. It didnt want to load on the trailer, and it fought me unloading. but it ran ok at an idle. I had killed the spark plug too. BBC with 3/8 stem valves, 2.19 stainless intake. makes for a nice ornament. changed the valve, installed a new guide, replaced the shims under the springs, put new retainers and locks on it, and went back to racing.

the funny thing is that the valve spring was still holding the rocker arm in position, and the retainer was setting there like it had a valve under it. After a bit more investigation, there were only 3 valves on the whole motor that had any spring pressure because the locks had almost pulled through the rest of the retainers. I got really lucky.

get to lookin.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
d34

Member # 72839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_old_fart View Post
Im willing to bet a dollar to a donut hole that someone overrevved the FAWK outta this thing. Just so you know, you CAN bend a valve when the timing is set correctly.
stock rev limiter is 4600 rpm...
d34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 20147
Quote:
Originally Posted by d34 View Post
stock rev limiter is 4600 rpm...
do they have little boxes to change that? ones you hook up to the computer, and supertune?