Pirate 4x4 banner

Suspension ? for 1st Gen CTD

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  jarvisjeep 
#1 ·
I have a '93 W250 club cab CTD that I use as a work/tow rig. Today while installing the Borgeson steering shaft I noticed that the front main leafs are worn/grooved from the 2nd leaf rubbing them, about an 1/8" deep worn spot in the shape of the 2nd leaf. I see Skyjacker makes a 1" lift replacement spring for this application, does anyone have experience with the Skyjacker lifts for 1st gen CTD's? 1 or 2" is about the max I'd like to go and stock would be better. Junkyard springs all seem to be worn the same way, so those are out. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I have the Skyjacker 2" on the front of mine. It rides ok, not great, but ok. Of course that might be the crappy aftermarket shocks that I haven't got around to swapping out yet:shaking: If you like stock height, get the 1" springs. If you don't like the height, you could probably remove the bottom leaf to lower it a bit. Mine have been on for a few years now and even have an Alaska trip on them carrying the camper with no issues.
Travis..

#3 ·
I don't really want to lift it since it's high enough for my uses now. I can't imagine it would ride much worse than it does now with the 1" springs. I've only got about 2" or so of travel before it hits the bump stops, so I may just spring for the skyjacker leaves with 1" lift...time to go shopping:D

#6 ·
I don't want to lift it, but I'll try out the 1" kit at most. I'm going to have to call suspension king in person, their web site doesn't indicate if the leaves are for the gasser or diesel W250.

#7 ·
I also have the 2" Skycrappers on the front of mine ('93 W350), along w/ new shocks & the ride still sucks ass. No better than the stock replacements which had new factory bu$hings installed to try & soften the ride. I figured w/ a name like "Softride" I'd be better than what I had :shaking:

#8 ·
I got lucky with mine, scored a set of 8" gasser softrides for cheap off of a friend. Used my stock worn the hell out main(thing bounced off the bumpstops on a regular basis....) the second two out of the 8" pack, and the rest of the stock pack, minus the short bottom leaf.
Sits probably 2.5-3" over stock, and rides great.

#9 ·
I have been thinking about removing the bottom 2 short leaves from my fronts to lower it a bit and soften it up. I think that will get the front down to near stock level. If I do that, I will have to buy shorter shocks and dick with the steering a bit so it most likely won't be too soon:shaking: The truck functions fine and I don't DD it anymore so it will stay as is until I finish up some other projects.
Travis..

#11 ·
Twice bitten :shaking: Waaay back I bought the 4" crappers for my FJ40. I thought they were decent, but my kidneys thought otherwise. Next try will be a coil conversion, similar to my '99 CTD's setup :smokin:

#15 ·
By the time you figure in the new u bolts and bushings, the local shop costs more than the SJ springs.

I asked a similar question a few months ago. http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772694&highlight=

I decided that if you want a stock replacement leaf spring (that rides like a stock leaf spring) go with the SkyJackers. If you want something that offers a decent ride spend the money and wait for a set of custom Alcan's.
I must have missed that post, thanks for the link.

#18 ·
I went with 6" springs, moved my hangers for correct angles, moved shocks, and added 40s. It drives better now then 25 year old stock leafs, except for the rear. I have more caster, correct shackle angle for bumps, etc.

If I had to do it again, id probably do 4" springs for lower spring rate, but still move the hangers and shocks and such. I am debating 5 linking the rear instead of replacing my rear springs and airbag setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.