(OVERCOMPENSATION) 95 ram truggy - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #151 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 110704
Sounds like it's time for some Ouverson axle shafts. Sucks to hear that it broke again, but I bet it was still fun.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #152 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 65765
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinta View Post
went out again on sunday and I think I broke another shaft in the rear I will pull it apart this weekend this time it was the short side that is not working I will get it apart and order up some stuff mabye time to go to cromo upgrades. Glad it wasnt a wasted trip I had the toilet with me and still wheeled all day so all was good just bummed that I broke again and it wasnt that big of a rock

What are you doing to break the rear shafts? Are you bouncing it of rocks or what? Is the rear welded or are you running a locker in the rear? I keep a spare rear with me all the time, but have been lucky to not snap one yet.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 138287
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhawk2002 View Post
What are you doing to break the rear shafts? Are you bouncing it of rocks or what? Is the rear welded or are you running a locker in the rear? I keep a spare rear with me all the time, but have been lucky to not snap one yet.
if I wanted to bounce I would have built a pogo stick you can watch the video of the first one and the one this week end was a shocker for I wasnt bound and all fours were climbing when it went. and my rear is a front
Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #154 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25517
Send a message via Yahoo to ffdustyw
Quote:
if I wanted to bounce I would have built a pogo stick you can watch the video of the first one and the one this week end was a shocker for I wasnt bound and all fours were climbing when it went. and my rear is a front
What style of shafts are you using? I'm kind of suprized your breaking these. You shed alot of weight.
Heres a quote I had on the strength of the different stock shafts. I have the repeza in my front and it has held up overall pretty well but I haven't run the type of rocks you have. Mostly mud and trail. If I do break eventually I am going with the overson shafts. A pretty penny but strong.

Quote:
"The 2 1/2 ton U joint style, max. static load is 3,600 foot lbs. of torque. The convel model "E" used in the 2 1/2 ton is 4,310 foot lbs. of torque. The rezepa is estimated 10% to 15% weaker than the U joint style. Just for grins the dana 60 - 1480 in the steering axle is 2,000 foot lbs. of torque. I like BIG stuff. steve differential eng.

Dodge,Duck, Dip, Dive, & Dodge
ffdustyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 138287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdustyw View Post
What style of shafts are you using? I'm kind of suprized your breaking these. You shed alot of weight.
Heres a quote I had on the strength of the different stock shafts. I have the repeza in my front and it has held up overall pretty well but I haven't run the type of rocks you have. Mostly mud and trail. If I do break eventually I am going with the overson shafts. A pretty penny but strong.

I have u-joint shafts both ends and the long side broke smooth about mid point of the inner and the pieces have about 3/8 bow(not straight any more) also had 5 plus degrees of twist @ the splines on the inner and the stub. when that thing let go,I think it shock loaded the locker at the same time and stripped all the teeth on the center piece of the locker on the side that broke. this last one I am not sure yet what it looks like as I havent pulled it yet. I have not broken a u-joint just the shafts.and I weigh 7600 LBS

Last edited by clinta; 03-09-2010 at 10:48 AM.
clinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #156 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25517
Quote:
I have u-joint shafts both ends and the long side broke smooth about mid point of the inner and the pieces have about 3/8 bow(not straight any more) also had 5 plus degrees of twist @ the splines on the inner and the stub. when that thing let go,I think it shock loaded the locker at the same time and stripped all the teeth on the center piece of the locker on the side that broke. this last one I am not sure yet what it looks like as I havent pulled it yet. I have not broken a u-joint just the shafts.and I weigh 7600 LBS
Wow. Thats some good carnage. Pictures are necessary! I can only imagine what the 53" tires and rims weigh. I have a buddy who runs them on his buggy here and his axles seem to hold up pretty well. Must be the weight on the rocks. We don't have as much rock this way.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 138287
the 53's are Fn heavy and I will get pics up soon.think I am going to just go for the overson stock replacement cromo's
Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #158 (permalink)

Member # 138287

workin on photo bucket for the carnage but this is cooler

now my sis doesnt want to get off my toilet

Last edited by clinta; 03-09-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 138287
I dont have carnage pics on bucket yet,I am waiting for them to be uploaded. so in the mean time here are some pics from IMO one of the hardest spots in my favorite crawlin spot.I have been denied more times than won taking the toilet through this spot. many of those times breakage has happened. this is a pic of a friends truggy the same day,as you can see this thing can kick your ass

this is the view from the top end and what you dont see is the steps to get up in to it but this should give an idea of the size.and this isnot where I broke I drove through this almost like it was paved

sorry about the size of the pics just one more reason to overcompensate

Last edited by clinta; 03-10-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 22414
Where you in LaPine with your FJ on Sunday? Behind a white 2nd Gen Dodge Towrig?
RedneckTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 138287
I was we were pre running for this sat nite going to take overcompebnsation out for a night run west of lapine.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 22414
Got ya. I was cruising up 97 when you came to a stop at the highway. I knew I recognized that thing.
RedneckTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 138287
well it has been awhile and I have done some more work to the rig but the wife lost them so I will have to take more to get them posted I did get the bed sides on and a couple other small things but have been spending most of the weekends out wheelin. this is what happens when you let your inexperienced wife drive your truck took some digging to get out the winch wouldnt budge it

I put a stocker shaft in and havent had any trouble but I havent been crawlin either overson was out of cromo's
Old 04-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #164 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12257
Send a message via AIM to American
Quote:
I dont have carnage pics on bucket yet,I am waiting for them to be uploaded. so in the mean time here are some pics from IMO one of the hardest spots in my favorite crawlin spot.I have been denied more times than won taking the toilet through this spot. many of those times breakage has happened. this is a pic of a friends truggy the same day,as you can see this thing can kick your ass

this is the view from the top end and what you dont see is the steps to get up in to it but this should give an idea of the size.and this isnot where I broke I drove through this almost like it was paved

[pics]

sorry about the size of the pics just one more reason to overcompensate
Any chance you might be able to post the links to those pics (fullsize version)?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 138287
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
Any chance you might be able to post the links to those pics (fullsize version)?
I will have to talk with the person that took those and have them resend them to me. will do I wasnt to happy with the minitures either. here are some the wife took on a different obstacle

Old 04-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 80545
Awesome pics man! Looks like everything is working great!
dieseltweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #167 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25517
That is some deep ass snow! You got yourself a flex monster!

Old 04-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #168 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 102265
truck looks killer with the bedsides on. looks good without em too though
i really like the tubework on the front frame, had somthing very similar to that in mind for mine
everbody building these kick arse dodge truggys makes me jealous!
Fargo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #169 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 66537
Send a message via Yahoo to turbosniper1
These pictures are absolutely awesome!!! The truck looks completely different now that you have the bedsides back on it... It looks seriously !!!! But then again I am kind of partial to the dovetailed rear end of a Dodge Ram!!!
Name:  101_0880 - Copy.jpg
Views: 3588
Size:  120.0 KB
I am headed out to Kansas to pick up my rockwells here in a couple weeks and then my build will commence!! Don't take offense if it has some striking similarities to your build!!! I have been planning it this way for quite a long time and when I see your truck evolving into the KICKA$$ truck it is, it is like I am seeing all of my plans happening ahead of time so I can have a template to go off of!!!
Out of curiosity.... what is your wheelbase at with the 53s???? Also, what kind of ground clearance numbers do you have under the frame, say the flat part that is actually left of the frame, under the cab?? Also if you could give me an idea while we are at it for measurements.... could you measure how high the top of the bedsides are, the bottom of the drivers window, and the highest point of the cab please??? I greatly appreciate your assistance!!
Keep up the work on the Majorly truck!!! Can't wait to see more pictures and video! Say..... you don't have any video of the truck blasting through that 4 foot deep snow do you????
Later bud!
- Matt
Quote:

Owner/Designer/Fabricator

TWF Double Beadlock wheels, Pitbull Tires Vendor, Raceline Wheels, Marsh Racing Wheels, Custom Splice Winch Rope
37" Tires for $85ea

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779576
turbosniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 138287
I dont think anyone had a video I will check,It was all that deep just stayed on top better at speeds or when the wife isnt diggin big ass holes. the frame(whats left of it is @ 30" wb is 133" rear axle center is same behind the cab as was the stock one moved the front fowards to work for low cg I want to say the cab is around 7-6 to 8 ft when I am home I will get som #s for you. Be even cooler to wheel some trails in your direction then you could mesure for yourself latr

Last edited by clinta; 04-05-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #171 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 102265
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosniper1 View Post
But then again I am kind of partial to the dovetailed rear end of a Dodge Ram!!!
me too!

Name:  100_0319.jpg
Views: 3286
Size:  120.1 KB
Fargo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #172 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12257
I just watched a bunch of your vids on YouTube. Do you have the doubler in? (sorry if I missed it)... it seems like you are lacking some crawl ratio / torque. Am I wrong?

I know this may sound dumb, but I have seen a couple people break stuff with *less* torque/crawl, because they have to give it so much gas that when it breaks loose the tires start spinning and then it catches and BAM! Sometimes it just keeps everything in a bind also... I'm sure you know what's going on with your rig, but I was just thinking about it so I figured I'd post..

Last edited by American; 04-06-2010 at 10:08 AM.
American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 138287
Quote:
I just watched a bunch of your vids on YouTube. Do you have the doubler in? (sorry if I missed it)... it seems like you are lacking some crawl ratio / torque. Am I wrong?

I know this may sound dumb, but I have seen a couple people break stuff with *less* torque/crawl, because they have to give it so much gas that when it breaks loose the tires start spinning and then it catches and BAM! Sometimes it just keeps everything in a bind also... I'm sure you know what's going on with your rig, but I was just thinking about it so I figured I'd post..
I think the noise is being missleading I dont have a muffler on it yet. the low end tourque is nice and low. on the video that I broke I was sitting on my belly and I think the locker was working intermitently and going in and out this is what I think took out the axle shafts.out -----in = BAM!!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #174 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 12257
Nice to hear you know what it was. And that is also nice to hear that it wasn't lugging as hard as it seemed in the video. Do you think you could have started them spinning if you stepped on it?

Last edited by American; 04-06-2010 at 11:31 PM.
American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 AM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 138287
Quote:
Nice to hear you know what it was. And that is also nice to hear that it wasn't lugging as hard as it seemed in the video. Do you think you could have started them spinning if you stepped on it?
with the doubler in front of the 205 I have 4 options from high to low in high it starts out a little doggy but works for general cruisin if you saw som of the recent snow pics that was in mid range and has plenty of giddy up to get it done in low low low you dont go any where fast wish the donkey runnin on the rev limit.with all that said yes in mid range I can get them loose. the thing is just really loud as soon as you crack the throttle.It is only a 5.2 and more ponies would be cool but it will get it done for now

Last edited by clinta; 04-07-2010 at 06:43 AM.