99 Cummins fuel leak - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Dodge
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 121190
Send a message via AIM to 1fox2go
99 Cummins fuel leak

I have a fuel leak on my fuel filter housing at the top where the two wires for the wire heater go into the filter housing. I need to replace the o-ring but can not find one anywhere. Mopar says that I have to buy the entire housing for 1k. The hell with that. I have searched online but can not find the 0-ring anywhere

Has anyone on here had to do this?

More info is it has the Fass high performance fuel pump, just the pump and not the filters. Unfortunately they do not offer and upgrade for this version to go to the fass filters as well.

Kind of stuck here. I posted on cumminsforum but have not had any luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 93177
i found this on a couple of cummins forums they call it a prefilter service kit from cummins they say it has all the orings and some other stuff.

3845400-s from Cummins
krazykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 121190
Those seem to be for the 94-98 12vs...

but no matter that put me in the right direction as for the entire kit was 15-25 bucks

Thanks a ton man, if you come across anything else I would greatly appreciate it. Now I can make some calls asking for a kit similar to that
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 93177
what other info you need? the best thing to do is jump on some cummins forums and search thru them.
krazykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 121190
Yea, thats what I did. They said finding the o ring was a pain in the ass and recommended that the stock filter housing be replaced or that part of the filter housing be sealed shut in some manner.

I found a part number for an O'reilys but I do not have those here. So hopefully I can go to some parts stores and try and match numbers.

The main problem is I cant have the truck sitting immobile for too long. So I cant pull the o ring and have it sit for a few days until I find one
Old 01-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 147397
Why cant you run a fass system or airdog? I had two 99's both with fass system's you completly by pass the stock filter housing. They are great. I am surprised they where not of more help on cumminsforum. Hope this helps.
kinggrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 121190
I am running Fass, problem is when I bought the truck it had just the high performance fuel pump system, not the system with the pump and filters. The only way to get the filters is to buy an entire new system.

So I can try and fix the leak or shell out 600 bucks and buy a new system and then be sitting on a pump
Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 147397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fox2go View Post
I am running Fass, problem is when I bought the truck it had just the high performance fuel pump system, not the system with the pump and filters. The only way to get the filters is to buy an entire new system.

So I can try and fix the leak or shell out 600 bucks and buy a new system and then be sitting on a pump
Can you show some pics? HOw is the pump routed? Where your leak is at, etc. You can make your own filter set up for way less then 600.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 121190
The leak is in the top of the factory fuel filter housing, 2 wires, black and red, go into the top these are for the fuel heater. Some years have this type of fuel heater some dont. The wires have an o-ring that goes between them and the filter housing top that is where my leak is coming from'

the 600 was for a new pump, filters, hoses, everything needed. I was told that FASS does not offer an upgrade to use my pump I have and add on the filters

I have been trying to contact FASS directly to see if this is correct information but have not been able to get in touch with them yet.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 147397
Quote:
The leak is in the top of the factory fuel filter housing, 2 wires, black and red, go into the top these are for the fuel heater. Some years have this type of fuel heater some dont. The wires have an o-ring that goes between them and the filter housing top that is where my leak is coming from'

the 600 was for a new pump, filters, hoses, everything needed. I was told that FASS does not offer an upgrade to use my pump I have and add on the filters

I have been trying to contact FASS directly to see if this is correct information but have not been able to get in touch with them yet.
Best bet go back onto cumminsforum go to the vendor section and do a post on how much a filter only set up will costyou might also need fuel line and the fittings. Then it will go hose from tank to filters to fass pump to the VP44 you by pass the hole stock filter housing. I have also used a filter housing off a big rig for my filter set up. Once again hope some of this helps.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 147397
HEre is somewhat what I was talking about. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FUEL-FILTER-...item27a9307fff I had one that had two spots for two filters. You can still do it this way to just have to get two of them. All depending on how much filtering you want to do. Also is it cold where you live?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 121190
I can get by without the fuel heater if I absolutely have to.

I found out that the filter housing I have is the older version and I guess Dodge modified it in 2000 to remedy the problem that I have. Which would explain why I can not get parts

I was looking at a kit online last night that was similar to what you showed however this was a 200 dollar kit but it had 2 big filters.

So far I have these options.

Find an 0-ring
Replace entire fuel system with a new FASS system, one with the filters
Upgrade and bypass stock filter housing with the way you recommended. This would cause me to lose my fuel heater though.
Or I could seal off the hole in the top of the filter housing, which would also cause me to lose the fuel heater

I just got back from being out of town for work so now I can actually go around and hunt for an o-ring, and I will get pictures to post up and show where the leak is for anyone else who may have this problem
Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 142419
so how did you end up fixing the leak. my 99 just started doing the same thing
hess442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 44659
HARDCORE OFF ROAD DODGE FORUM Does no one read the rules of the site.......

I think he might have used bleach. I read somewhere on this site that it worked well on a Cummins and it's owners.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 43251
Quote:
I have a fuel leak on my fuel filter housing at the top where the two wires for the wire heater go into the filter housing. I need to replace the o-ring but can not find one anywhere. Mopar says that I have to buy the entire housing for 1k. The hell with that. I have searched online but can not find the 0-ring anywhere

Has anyone on here had to do this?

More info is it has the Fass high performance fuel pump, just the pump and not the filters. Unfortunately they do not offer and upgrade for this version to go to the fass filters as well.

Kind of stuck here. I posted on cumminsforum but have not had any luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Buy the air dog or the fass and forget the factory junk pewter base, been there done that, fass has easier to buy filters than the air dog.
dillo is offline   Reply With Quote