Pirate 4x4 banner

Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Dana 60 Hub removal and converison to Ford Knuckles

533K views 715 replies 159 participants last post by  NorCalJalopy 
#1 · (Edited)
So all in the efforts to avoid replacing a wheel bearing and stop the death wobble, I converted my 97 Dodge cummins knuckles to 92/93 Ford knuckles.

Place two pickle forks behind the rotor and hit it really really really hard and it'll come off!

Me setting up the ball joint installation/removal tool

My techinique for pressing the ball joints in and out. =] Gotta put my whole body into it!

Dodge Knuckle off, time for ford knuckle!!!

See less See more
#159 · (Edited)
well im no xpert or anything but if you have an AAM axel there is no reason why you couldnt drop it under your truck. But im bettin that they dont have manual lockouts either. although they have dual piston calipers and 13 1/2" inch rotors that slide on. And if your gonna go from the inner c's then your not limited to any axel. But the whole idea of this thread is el-Cheapo conversions. The d50 has diff caster angle on the knuckles and stub shaft is to short. Everything from hubs, and lockouts will fit is my under standing. I think the spindles will work too but I would have to go back and read more to be sure.

#219 ·
This is true about the D50 till the unit bearing years. Suddenly the outer knuckle is really thick on the fords unlike the dodge knuckles. I was wondering if these could be milled down so the '93 ttb spindles could be used on it? This would retain your ability to use the original '99 superduty brake calipers? though you may have to us a different rotor?

#161 ·
Has anyone done this swap on a truck with a small lift and aftermarket rims?
I really want to lose the crappy dodge unit hubs and brakes, but Im worried about wheel rub. Im limited to 33's right now due to backspace.
how sure are we that the mounting surfaces on the hubs are 3/4" further outboard on each side? This would be the difference between a good fit and a 1800$ mistake if I decide to get rims with a different backspace in preparation for the swap.
Im also a bit worried about the lower tie rod mounts on the knuckles. Looks like you need a longer drag link to make that work (?)

#165 ·
Bump what? I don't understand what you are asking. Are you wanting to switch to 5 lug or to 8 lug or do you want to switch to D44 Ford knuckles? This is a D60 thread so I don't think many people have done a D44 conversion in this thread. I would assume it's possible...

#167 ·
i understand that this is a thread on how to do it cheaply, but that is just not possible with a 3rd gen dodge. My 2004 2500 is going to cost a min of $1400 using Ballistic hubs and shitty oem parts and more like $1800 if I just buy a complete kit.

Im now thinking its cheaper for me just to buy a HP60 and put it under there, I can find them for less than $1k. I can buy a dodge bracket kit and attach it to the ford axle

maybe sell my dodge front end for a few bucks

so if i do this, what year did ford go metric lug pattern (99?)
what is the WMS on a Ford compared to a dodge?

I realize the dodge has better brakes, but i just need to get this done. I refuse to buy unit bearings.

on a side note: my 04 gets the death wobble bad, no lift, stock tires (actually goes away with 35" tires) is this mostly because of worn BJs, which feel okay to me, or worn unit bearings, im pretty sure i was even getting the wobble when all this shit was still new, so im lost

#168 ·
HOLY CRAP! Way to muddy up an awesome thread guys. I'm usually the last guy to pull this but fawking search! Not only did you guys not search but you fucked it up for the people who do search. Great tech here hopefully some one can clean it up and maybe lock it?

#170 ·
I am talking about you and every one else who posted about something besides DODGE dana 60 and FORD Dana parts compatibility. Even the people who brought up the dana 50 question every page. Read the title of the thread, now read the contents of the thread... still think your thoughts belong in said thread ? Pirate is a searchable database don't leave bullshit in every thread you visit. Add usefull info or none at all. Have a question, search. Repeat, repeat once more. Then and only then post a new thread asking your specific groundbreaking never been thought of before dana 44 question or whatever question you may be pondering. This is how to enjoy this forum. Any further questions will be answered with the words : bowl dicks choke blender and yourself.

#172 ·
I don't know either. Glad I could be your first, stick around and I wont be your last, welcome to pirate. I outlined simple etiquette. It's all perception I think your the dick for asking your dana 44 question in 79fordgirls' tech write up thread titled "Dodge ram2500 4x4 Dana 60 hub removal and conversion to ford knuckles". If you think I'm a dick your in for a treat.

#173 ·
Turning the hubs

OK this is a question for everyone that has done this conversion. I read on some other forums that if you use the Ford D50 hubs the stock Dodge rims won't fit, the center hole is too small. If any of you had to do this can you tell me what you had them turned down to? Also if anyone has a set of Ford D60 stub shafts 30 spline and lock outs I'm looking for some.

Thanks
Floyd

#189 ·
What year, make, and model housing are you putting this all on? What inner axle shafts are you running? Can I get pictures of the back side of the spindle (straight on and from the side)? I also need closer pics of your stub shafts where the spindle bearing rides (so I can see where the seals would go).

-Dave

#175 ·
You are using Ford knuckles? Which style spindle are you using? If you have the king pin spindle you have to use the right spindle seal/slinger set up. Same for the balljoint/D50 spindle, you have to use the correct seal/slinger set up. You might have stacked too much stuff in there or the wrong stuff. We have run both style spindles with success, no binding.

-Dave

#176 ·
There are NO seals in it at all.... i couldnt get the spindle to bolt to the knuckle with all the seals in there...

the stuff all came from this axle-

Looking at the photos she first posted and it seems i have too much shaft sticking out

shafts measure just under 11.5inches from center of ujoint to the end of the shaft.

i do not know if these are kingpin or bj spindles.

this is the only picture i have of them right now.

#180 · (Edited)
So how was the booty-fabbed D70 bolted together and managed to rotate?

Reason I say you have a TTB knuckle is the yokes and joints on the 50TTB are smaller, so its set up to have less space between the back of the spindle and the steering axis. In other words, the knuckle is too shallow.

EDIT: I wonder if the inner shaft had been clearanced at the yoke? Or the tube doesn't come flush with the inner C?

Compare your Dodge and Ford knuckles for depth ... should be the same.

#182 ·
That's not a TTB knuckle. TTB knuckles have the mount cast into the knuckle, but it's a lot thicker then that and uses slide pins instead of big bolts. That looks like a low pinion front end, are you sure it's not a Dodgy front end (though I guess a CAD would be a dead give away)? I guess it's possible that the knuckles are '00+ D50 knuckles (solid D50).

#183 · (Edited)
#191 ·
Yeah but if that 70 did have the tubes not flush to make clearance, the u-joints wouldn't have been lined up with balljoints and you would have felt it bad turning or it would have stretched ears or busted shafts, or wore the spindle bearings out bad, etc...

Where are the pics of the 60 knuckle you said that were posted? I want to look compared to yours.

-Dave

#193 ·
Oh yeah I think I can see the difference... That sucks. I will hook you up and get you into a set up that works. On the bright side, like you said, now you have proven the TTB50 knuckles won't work correctly.

-Dave

#194 · (Edited)
How many times do I have to post this in this thread? A TTB50 knuckle would not have even gone on a 60, that is a 95-97 D60 knuckle.
TTB50 knuckles use a smaller lower balljoint, they are not spaced as far apart as a 60 knuckle, and the balljoints are at a different angle than on a 60. TTB knuckles WILL NOT interchange with solid axle knuckles, PERIOD.
I own all three versions of ttb, a Ford BJ60 and a Ford KP 60, I'm not just pulling what I'm saying out of my ass here.

#195 ·
How many times do I have to post this in this thread?
sadly, probably as many times as poor 79fordgirl and HEEPJEEP get PMed the same questions that are answered 6 times over in this thread if people would JUST FAWKING READ THROUGH IT :rolleyes: