Action Alert - Surprise Canyon Road - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Eastern Sierra and Great Basin
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 23838
Action Alert - Surprise Canyon Road

Support the re-opening of Surprise Canyon Road - Action Needed.

http://www.fopv.org/action.html

History…
Surprise Canyon Road, a county road located in the Panamint Mountains of Inyo County, California, has been the only route of wheeled access to Panamint City for over 130 years. Panamint City is located high in the Panamint mountains in a non-wilderness cherry-stem of Death Valley National Park. Surprise Canyon Road was created by the Inyo County Board of Supervisors, under California law, on July 6, 1874, to provide access to Panamint City.

Surprise Canyon Road was closed in May of 2001 as a result of a lawsuit brought about by the Center for Biological Diversity, the Sierra Club, and Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, against the Bureau of Land Management. The parties to the suit settled by signing a "Stipulation Agreement" defining the terms of the closure. The agreement stated that the BLM must erect a gate to block vehicular access to the road, and to complete an "Environmental Impact Statement" (EIS) to outline further allowed use of the road.

This closure order had an appeal period of 90 days. CORVA and the High Desert Multiple Use Coalition appealed the decision in 2001 to the Interior Board of Land Appeals (IBLA). This appeal was denied, and the only option was to file suit in Federal District court. Unfortunately the funds available for a suit of this nature were low, and there were other pending issues heading towards the courts at the time in California. As a result, the funds for Surprise Canyon were diverted to these other causes and the ability to appeal the closure to Federal Court was lost.

A second chance…
In 2003, two groups of individuals interested in re-opening Surprise Canyon Road purchased two patented millsite claims in the hopes of re-establishing vehicular access to Panamint City via Surprise Canyon Road. In the closure order there was an exemption to owners of private property, allowing them to access their property as had been done in the past. After many requests were submitted by property owners, the BLM did not provide keys to the gate and further required property owners to complete applications for a right-of-way. To date, the applications have gone un-answered as the agencies feel many of the issues they have surrounding the applications will be answered by the findings of the "EIS".

It has been over four years since the start of the EIS process, and a draft of the document is still being prepared. These four years have been an unnecessary delay, and a disservice to the recreating public.

With the support of many off-highway organizations, clubs, and individuals, thru the Friends of Panamint Valley, the property owners have retained an excellent law firm and have been preparing a lawsuit outlining the access issues of the owners, as well as addressing the issue of Surprise Canyon Road being an R.S. 2477 right-of-way established over 130 years ago by Inyo County. The evidence to support an R.S. 2477 claim is substantial and impossible to refute.

According to the recent 10th Circuit decision in Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance vs. BLM, R.S. 2477 determinations can only be made in the courts. A violation of the current closure would be punishable by fine and/or imprisonment. This is why it is necessary to support the efforts of the property owners and support Inyo County joining the pending lawsuit to re-open Surprise Canyon Road.

Help is now needed…
In order to pursue the R.S. 2477 claims, and open the road to the public, it is preferable to have the support of Inyo County. The decision to join a lawsuit is at the discretion of the Inyo County Board of Supervisors. You can help by going to the Friends of Panamint Valley website at the following link…

http://www.fopv.org/action.html

Using the provided form, send an e-mail to the Inyo County Board of Supervisors urging them to support, and become a party to any legal action pursued to re-open Surprise Canyon Road to the public.

Thank you for your support,
Bryan Lollich, Kris Tholke, and the Friends of Panamint Valley
Old 04-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
Done.

Shameless Plug: I am a Realtor in SoCal, Inland Empire. My wife is a mortgage loan officer. PM me for info.
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Send a message via AIM to lttlbddy Send a message via Yahoo to lttlbddy
Done x2

Pirate Special - $25.50 for 500 Business Cards
Great Deals on Tri-Fold Brochures!

email - steveg@digitalisc.com
Office: 714 283-2073 * Cell: 714 293-8790
ask for Steven Gardiner (aka LTTLBDDY) or Donna
Large & Small Format Printing - Laminating - Bindery - Mailing
Don't go to Kinkos! Call Us.

Stickers here: Stickers
lttlbddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
Turned it over to the chit chat horde. Of all the efforts we made, this is probably the easiest and hopefully most effective.

Kudos to who ever did the Legwork to set the mailer up (I'm guessing Bryan and Kris)

Good work

Dave
Old 04-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 23729
We don't get kudos till were sipping moonshine on my tailgate looking up at the Smelter!
whyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRecoveryTeam
Turned it over to the chit chat horde. Of all the efforts we made, this is probably the easiest and hopefully most effective.

Kudos to who ever did the Legwork to set the mailer up (I'm guessing Bryan and Kris)

Good work

Dave

What... You mean the chit chatters don't come into land use?

Looks like they are on it, but I was still first.

Shameless Plug: I am a Realtor in SoCal, Inland Empire. My wife is a mortgage loan officer. PM me for info.
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 9328
I posted this in chitchat, but I'll repeat it here:

I hope the luck is better with this one than the luck we had with the Robledo Mtns. lawsuit down in Las Cruces. The County Commission at first said they would give us the RS2477 backing, then bent to eco-nazi pressure and backed out.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 23729
Quote:
Originally Posted by landuseorc
I posted this in chitchat, but I'll repeat it here:

I hope the luck is better with this one than the luck we had with the Robledo Mtns. lawsuit down in Las Cruces. The County Commission at first said they would give us the RS2477 backing, then bent to eco-nazi pressure and backed out.
They are not "required", we can "force" them on board, but its better to get them on board by their own doing.
whyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9328
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyt
They are not "required", we can "force" them on board, but its better to get them on board by their own doing.
You can't go RS2477 without a governmental entity asserting that right. I've been down this road (no pun intended), the SWFWDA fought this battle a few years ago in several ways, including attempting a QTA and RS2477, and lost because we couldn't get Dona Ana County on board. I'm only bringing this up because I don't want people to get all fired up and then let down, this is a difficult battle, and I can't really see a county in CA getting on board with this. I hope it happens, but ...

And how will you force them? That is impossible. If they don't vote to do it, you are screwed on this front.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
sent!
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 19690
done
Old 04-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 49562
sent and spreading the word.
-Jer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 42486
Done
GFXterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 8174
Send a message via MSN to Bill4rest
Don't forget to give some ca$h

http://www.fopv.org/donate.html
Bill4rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 56581
Done
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 56581
It got kicked back. Maybe I'm too late.?
Old 05-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
OTR

Member # 20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overload
It got kicked back. Maybe I'm too late.?
I received it at 11:49am.
If you got a bounce message its probably from a full inbox. Take a look at the message and lemme know who bounced, I'll look into it.

Otherwise dont worry about it.

kris.

Ultra4 Stock Class #4643 - Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing

"There's the troublemaker" - Craig Beck, BLM Ridgecrest Field Office

OTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 56581
I got the "thank you for your interest" reply after the "mail not deliverable" notice so it went through at some point. No worries.