Slate Range proposed wilderness - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Eastern Sierra and Great Basin
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 42245
Slate Range proposed wilderness

The slate range between Trona and PV is part of the CA Wilderness coalition and Feinstein's proposed next wilderness act. Isham Cyn, the premier tougher PV trail and Fish Cyn trails are there as well as many other roads throughout the range. It would be a disgrace to true wilderness to allow this and we all need to get the word to Feinstein while the bill is still in this early phase of development.

Can somebody with her link handy post it? Thanks

Last edited by broncdawg; 11-06-2008 at 08:41 AM.
broncdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
OTR

Member # 20587
Thanks Greg.
Ive already talked about it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTR

I am also working with the group preparing for the CWC wilderness proposal that Senator Feinstein is looking at. This proposal currently lists much of the Slate Range (Isham and Fish canyons included) and a chunk of the Panamint Valley floor south of Ballarat as being considered as wilderness. There is also mention of the Surprise Canyon “Wild and Scenic River” (WSR) in the proposal, as well as maps that show the elimination of the current “cherrystem” of Surprise Canyon Road and Panamint City from the current wilderness areas on both BLM and Death Valley National Park land.

The issue of the entire proposal that CWC has submitted is going to be big and far reaching. There will be a lot of work to do fighting it, not only for access in the Panamint Valley region, but also the rest of the Southern California deserts. We will be focusing our efforts on PV, but not limiting ourselves to it
kris.
I went to Harry Bakers meeting discussing this a few months back. John Stewart and Ron Schiller are going to be heavily involved in this as well, so know that we are paying attention and a few of us are watching this area very closely.

You should find a way to make it to the next meeting...

k.

Ultra4 Stock Class #4643 - Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing

"There's the troublemaker" - Craig Beck, BLM Ridgecrest Field Office

OTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 42245
I know you John and Ron and others are on it, my message is for all the others out there and for the PVD crowd. Let me know when the next meeting is scheduled and will do my best to be there, thanks.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 120262
I have added it to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncdawg View Post
The slate range between Trona and PV is part of the CA Wilderness coalition and Feinstein's proposed next wilderness act. Isham Cyn, the premier tougher PV trail and Fish Cyn trails are there as well as many other roads throughout the range. It would be a disgrace to true wilderness to allow this and we all need to get the word to Feinstein while the bill is still in this early phase of development.

Can somebody with her link handy post it? Thanks
There was a meeting several weeks ago with some of us and 2 of her staff assigned to this wilderness stuff. We (us users have been asked by her staff to 1) give them a wish list of our own and some of us are working on this and 2) to give them the roads in the wilderness areas but they have to be GPS'd for them.
Note: They are attempting to verify info given them in a chev. impala. But we are in on the ground floor and have a chance to influence which wilderness areas she brings forward. We were told that for sure it wouldn't be the whole 22 which the CWC had brought to her.
Marie Brashear
Marie Brashear is offline   Reply With Quote