Hello Surprise Canyon - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Eastern Sierra and Great Basin
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 126704
Hello Surprise Canyon

I got tired of seeing the other thread title everytime I logged on

I was hoping to be posting a trip report by now but life's other priorities are interfering. Not that walking to Panamint City is anything but exhausting but it will be fun once there.

So I've been wondering - is there any chance of a middle ground being reached? This is a man made enviroment mixed with a natural enviroment - not wilderness. Is there no compromise available?

I don't know what a compromise would look like. I remember a letter allowing pack animals and aircraft years ago - how about an annual trip for 4X4s or something like that? If not 4X4 then something motorized that will enable those that physically can't walk up get there. Have to start somewhere.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
* The Printer *

Member # 6532
Send a message via AIM to lttlbddy Send a message via Yahoo to lttlbddy
The opportunity lies with Panamint City Property Owners being able to gain motorized access to their properties. If/when we can win this battle, organized trips can be an option.

Currently aircraft (and anything motorized) are probably not options because of the National Park and Wilderness status of the land surrounding the Canyon and the City.

I can't see pack animals as a viable mode of transportation on the Surprise Canyon Road. I don't know of the regulation for pack animal in the National Parks.

Unfortunately, that doesn't leave many options for those not physically able to make the 8 mile hike.
lttlbddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 126704
I seem to remember back in some BLM letters they approved access by pack animal and aircraft for property owners. Maybe it was an air-drop for supplies - I just remember being shocked the BLM proposed aircraft (it would be dangerous at best with strong wind currents). I also remember my brother talking to the miners ~1980 - they had big dreams like putting in an airstrip!

I also note the 2007 court mentioned in passing "The settlement did not limit the publicís use of the Canyon for recreational hiking, travel by foot or pack animal." In reality a pack animal can carry limited supplies - not people. It would be easier to get a few people together to carry supplies. Doubt an animal could make it up without frequent unpacking.

The property owner question might take years to wind through the process.

Just throwing ideas around - nothing serious. Never know what people may come up with. (But don't want to start a "classic" thread like /forum/general-chit-chat-classics/690900-paint-yourself-across.html )
Old 03-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 104078
Smile

btt
Kelly
kellyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8965
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinternet View Post
I just remember being shocked the BLM proposed aircraft (it would be dangerous at best with strong wind currents). I also remember my brother talking to the miners ~1980 - they had big dreams like putting in an airstrip!
Why? It already has an air strip and a hangar. The large metal garage is actually the hangar. Seems Piper Cubs were the preferred aircraft for the region.
rotozuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hiding in the rocks

Member # 41917
There's a pic floating around somewhere of a Piper sitting out in front of the hanger/garage. It was sporting some big balloon tires reminiscent of an ATC.

I might have a photo of it on one of my machines. If I find it, I'll post it.