Audio/Video system builds - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Audio/Video system builds

Well I shall start with what I am doing with my Jeep JK. Right now I am running a Kenwood DNX7120, its an older model but works great for all my shit. Have aux vid in for a whatever cam, a backup cam, Garmin GPS, DVD, vid out.....you get the idea. I run a couple good chicom cameras, one as a solid mounted backup and one on a magnet base that gets stuck on the oil pan for climbs/shit or diagnostic for figuring vibs/issues/clunking.

This is ran to 2 MTX 904 marine amps plus all assorted requirements.

mounted out of the way and dry

And this is ran to componets front and rear and a couple Punch 10's in sealed fiberglass boxes in the rear.

Works "ok", subs are lacking but everything else is good. But with my new cage the amp location has to go. So while I am at it I may as well make things smaller, better and louder

my amps are going smaller..much smaller, but more powerful I will be running some Audiopipe mini class D amps. Yes they are a sorta unknown brand but people have been beating the snot out of them and they have been tested as what they are RATED!! or pretty fucking close. I will be running a APSM 4080 1200W 4 chan to the componets and a APSM 1500W 2 chan to the subs. And next let me show you the subs.

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
New subs will be 8's

ya thats right, 8's

Sundown Audio SA-8's to be exact. Monsterous nasty little fuckers with huge throw.

Its like 15lbs of magnet stuck to a 8 inch cone

these will be done in sealed boxes. They supposedly do not work "best" in a seled box but we will see. Besides I can always do ported boxes later if these suck. So now let me show you how to make easy, off-road friendly, non-carpender buildable sealed boxes...that are not square

New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
We will be making TUBE boxes.

Main material is 3/4" MDF and Sonotube/concrete tube, both cheap and easily found at Home Depot. For around $20 you can get a 1/3 sheet of MDF, a tube, adhesive and screws.

Find a tube big enough for the sub

Doing a little math after finding the sealed space requirement for your subs you cut your tube to the right length. For me my space was .28 cubic foot, so the 8" tube minus space for the inserted MDF equates to around 11" of tube.

then we cut some insertable plugs. a sealed one for the end and a additional mounting brace for the sub. you want these TIGHT to fit in the tube, I put a slight bevel on the edge so they had to be tapped into place.

Rough up the inside of the tube with some sand paper to break the waxy coating and to give the adhesive some tooth.

Nice bead of adhesive

and tap the end caps and rings in place

Now for the true end caps there is many ways to skin this cat. you can just make end caps the same OD as the tube or whatever. Guys are even making down firing stands for home theater on the front, its all up to you.

For me I made my ends also my mounting stands. Both ends are the same just the front has the mounting hole. The rears are glued and screwed to the back plate (overkill) and the fronts are glues and clamped. You can never have too many clamps

The reason for the beefy end caps is that is getting the most impact of pressure. The tube should not flex in my setup but in a 12" you may have to make internal braces just to be safe. it would just be another plug but cut all gusset like and shit.

Well these have to dry and today when I get home I will cover and mostly finish them.

Questions, comments, concerns?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 14423
I really like the direction you are going. I'm planning my new system now and I'm hoping your results are awesome so I can copy off of you.

I like the idea of a smaller sub for both space and cost reasons. And, I've done the 15" sub that takes up the whole trunk.

What are you running for components? I looked at a handful of options. Everything from Focal to MbQuarts. Hard to decide based on reviews. After seeing some of the geniuses at car shows, not sure I trust their "ears" when it comes to the front stage.
beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondhelp View Post
I really like the direction you are going. I'm planning my new system now and I'm hoping your results are awesome so I can copy off of you.

I like the idea of a smaller sub for both space and cost reasons. And, I've done the 15" sub that takes up the whole trunk.

What are you running for components? I looked at a handful of options. Everything from Focal to MbQuarts. Hard to decide based on reviews. After seeing some of the geniuses at car shows, not sure I trust their "ears" when it comes to the front stage.
I will have to check, its been 3 years since I put them in I know they are med/high end with crossovers. I try to listen to what I want either in someone elses ride or in stereo shops to get a rough idea and slightly over rate them for my amp.
I could never put Focal in a Jeep/off-roader I want things I dont feel too bad about if I drown them but yet still have good sound.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 8540
I like where you are going. The Alpine system in my Jeep is over 12 years old and very tired. Too much rain and dust. My once 4channel amp really just consumes space because it is difficult to remove. I am about to redo my cage also, so I will be keeping an eye on this to see what you think of the amps and new tube enclosures.
92YJ/2.5L/HD4:1D300/F&R D44/5:38/36 SX/99"WB

Nothing is stronger than stupid...
B.A.R.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.R.K View Post
I like where you are going. The Alpine system in my Jeep is over 12 years old and very tired. Too much rain and dust. My once 4channel amp really just consumes space because it is difficult to remove. I am about to redo my cage also, so I will be keeping an eye on this to see what you think of the amps and new tube enclosures.
I plan on doing a power vented waterproof enclosure for the amps with 2 fans in/out, this way if one fan dies its still moving air. Depends on space right now

Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Hit the ends with some duplicolor beliner to give it some texture and durability

And I wrapped them with "rhino skin" or whatever the hell that decking they use on boats. I have had a bunch of strips of it floating around. Its like rubber diamond plate.

This will deaden it some and also give it a better "finished" look. carpet would do the same

Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
now I am waiting for the adhesive to dry and then I can start installing the subs

Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Can I find that rubber treadplate at a boat place?

I'd have several uses for that stuff. The floor of my uhaul comes to mind first.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
Can I find that rubber treadplate at a boat place?

I'd have several uses for that stuff. The floor of my uhaul comes to mind first.
its expensive as fuck
http://www.amazon.com/Lewmar-TREADMA.../dp/B000Y845AY

$120+ for a 3x4' sheet, its called Treadmaster.

Last edited by usmcdoc14; 04-03-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 85510
there is also hydroturf

www.Dixiecrawlers.com
TN-D90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
today we make some terminal posts and mount the speakers. You can use store purchased speaker terminals but for the most part they suck. I recomend just drilling a hole and silicone the wires in there or make some solid brass ones as they are cheap and easy.

1/4-20 brass screws long enough to go through the wall you want to mount them, nuts and washers

Ya, brass is not as good of a conductor as copper but you will not be running copper bolts..well for long anyway as they gall badly. I make up for it in size as a 1/4-20 bolt is bigger than the 8ga wire I am running.

Drill some holes (ignore the center hole, that is an unfilled mounting hole)

some copper lugs crimped on

and assemble with a good glob of silicon on the bolt shaft to seal the inside and then a glop under the outer washer as well. you dont need air leaks.

and some labels in case I forget what ohm I am setting this at and what one is positive

Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Like I said I am running my subs at 1 ohm each. They are dual 2ohm coils and will be ran at 2ohm at the amp. I am using dual 2 ohm just in case this amp sucks or rocks. if it sucks I know my existing amp will push them at 2 ohm or I can drop the cash and get a .5ohm stable amp and run it at that. if the amp kicks ass I can run it at 2ohm and be happy or try .5ohm and see if the amp will handle that.
It most likely will not but I can try.

match your subs to your amp and vice versa and finding how to wire a dual voice coil is easy. its basic ohms law/parallel/series

anyway. wires soldered and sealed for 1ohm

I have to re-seal that edge of the covering..meh

and install your subs.

for sealing your subs you can use foam tape, closed cell foam window seal, RTV, silicon or whatever. its personal preference. I use silicone as it does a very good job and is easy to get off should i want to remount the subs. A little bead and then tighten the subs down like you would lug nuts.

now i am just waiting on my other amp

Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
amps came in
Audiopipe 1200w 4ch, 1500w 2ch, both have been proven to put out near rated. DVD case for size reference

This should make the little fuckers move

Old 04-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 14423
I'm looking at the Audiopipe aspm 4080 (1200x4) and the aspm 1300 1000 mono or the 1000w 2 channel. I think I'm going to go with only one sub for now til I figure out what I'll be driving next.

Found them on Amazon all around $100. The descriptions suck though, wrong pix and confusing specs. Where did you get them?
beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondhelp View Post
I'm looking at the Audiopipe aspm 4080 (1200x4) and the aspm 1300 1000 mono or the 1000w 2 channel. I think I'm going to go with only one sub for now til I figure out what I'll be driving next.

Found them on Amazon all around $100. The descriptions suck though, wrong pix and confusing specs. Where did you get them?
http://www.vminnovations.com

The same place amazon is shipping from

Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
I need a garage.

Member # 98895
Send a message via AIM to dezrik Send a message via MSN to dezrik Send a message via Yahoo to dezrik
Ive been wanting to run some 8" subs for awhile in my single cab truck, Let me know how they work I may be buying a pair for myself.
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Running out of space? Think outside the box

Wonder what is going on here? Under seat slide out amp rack.

I will box and seal that area later with powered vents so it is well cooled yet waterproof.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Ya, its a mess I pulled all my gear from under the seat (I use it for storage) and shoved it on the floor and other side. Better pics later.

First impression from the 4ch amp is: holy fuck, for a TINY inexpensive amp that thing kicks ass It is cleaner than the amp it replaced at half the size.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
test run
stereo test run - YouTube

Last edited by usmcdoc14; 04-09-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 85510
thanks for the link to the amps, Might use one of the marine versions for my buggy

and clean your fucking jk

www.Dixiecrawlers.com

Last edited by TN-D90; 04-09-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-D90 View Post
thanks for the link to the amps, Might use one of the marine versions for my buggy

and clean your fucking jk
I will clean it when I am done with the install no point of it untill I get the mounts finished and painted.
The tools vibrating across the floor is a nice effect

Old 04-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 85510
two words come to mine

"hood rat"

www.Dixiecrawlers.com
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 7579
Send a message via AIM to stRanger
So, what are your first impression of the subs?