Rigid LEDs Flickering - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 90523
Send a message via ICQ to RubiWheeler
Rigid LEDs Flickering

Sirched, didn't find anything specifically like this...
I have 2 Rigid Industries Dually lights on my Jeep. Yesterday, one of them began to flicker intermittently; I checked all of my connections and they are good. They are wired using the Rigid harness and switch as well. Here's the odd part: The light only flickers when the jeep is running. When its off and the lights are on, no problems. No amount of wiggling wires, tapping on the lights, etc will reproduce the problem. Any ideas? Bad electronics inside the light?
RubiWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 113019
Did you wire them off the battery or tap into they Jeep's electrical system?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue&Goldie View Post
Did you wire them off the battery or tap into they Jeep's electrical system?
x2

CANBUS will do that

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 90523
I wired them directly off the battery. I shot an email to Rigid, so I'll see what they say.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 177990
I deal with this on the buses alot. I'm not sure of the specific reason because we just replace and get the one acting up warrantied but my belief is it is something in the power control of the light not liking the slight fluctuation in current from the vehicles charging system.
Brimmstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 29341
Sounds like it's not getting enough juice. Similar but not totally related issue I had while testing is I plugged my 40" bar into one of the rurally plugs while I had it all on my table testing them. The furthest light section on the bar flickered from the lack of power with the other dally on.

Read the voltage between the two plugs if you are using the supplied dally dual light harness where they both T into it for the same switch and relay.

-shawn
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 207734
I use to be an installation Tech at a truck accessory store.

Ive ran them both off the battery as well a fuse and what ive come up with is.

When running off the battery if you have a lot of accessories or your engine is old then your jeep will suck all the juice away from the LED's to feed the other stuff.

But the problem with fuses is if you take one of the main fuse panel you may still be effected by depletion.

What i normally do and what has worked for me in the past is, i take juice from a fuse or accessory wire from inside the cab as its usually hit a fuse or two and is no longer effected by anything else. Ill make sure its something small like dome lights or electric seats or something. If i notice the wires getting hot or its running of a 5amp fuse or something ill throw in as big of one as i can.

this seems to have worked for me but not all are the same as we all know ha ha. Hope it helps though!
XxPr0nag3xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 101802
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxPr0nag3xX View Post
What i normally do and what has worked for me in the past is, i take juice from a fuse or accessory wire from inside the cab as its usually hit a fuse or two and is no longer effected by anything else. Ill make sure its something small like dome lights or electric seats or something. If i notice the wires getting hot or its running of a 5amp fuse or something ill throw in as big of one as i can.
Sorry....but I'm glad that you USED TO BE an install monkey. If you have to wait and see if the wires are going to get hot, then you've all ready messed up. I've done professional installs including emergency vehicles, vehicle alarm/starters, audio systems, mobile data, etc etc. I work with install technicians on a daily basis....but you admitting to this kind of stuff, verifies that you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

You don't just put a bigger fuse in place of a smaller one either...
yyc_ranger_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 207734
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyc_ranger_4x4 View Post
Sorry....but I'm glad that you USED TO BE an install monkey. If you have to wait and see if the wires are going to get hot, then you've all ready messed up. I've done professional installs including emergency vehicles, vehicle alarm/starters, audio systems, mobile data, etc etc. I work with install technicians on a daily basis....but you admitting to this kind of stuff, verifies that you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

You don't just put a bigger fuse in place of a smaller one either...
I should clarify i checked what the wire was and what fuse it was running of and the wire gauge and all that i ment check the wire after its running for a bit to see if it was running hot.

But i will admit upgrading a fuse isnt the best option especially if you have to go from 5 to a 30 or something crazy like that.
XxPr0nag3xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 90523
The lights are powered directly from the battery and are getting 14 volts. The flicker seems to disappear off idle, so maybe the alternator is on its way out. At this point, I'll just wait and see what happens.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 29341
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiWheeler View Post
The lights are powered directly from the battery and are getting 14 volts. The flicker seems to disappear off idle, so maybe the alternator is on its way out. At this point, I'll just wait and see what happens.
Um... Measure your alternators output

Good luck
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
you have knarly A/C diode ripple. i would replace that alternator NOW, so you dont smoke anything else on the rig.
Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 90523
Yeah, I gotta check out the alternator. I have no other electrical issues that I'm aware of, but better safe than sorry, I suppose.