OBD2 scanner for computer - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 77047
Send a message via AIM to Strider_aa
Smile OBD2 scanner for computer

I hope this is the right forum for this. I just started looking at OBD2 scanners to work with laptops. I'm wondering what I can learn here about how well they work, what brands are good, what software is good, what problems there are with them. I am exclusively Chrysler and hope to be buying one in the next month or 2.

What can you tell me about them?
Strider_aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hardcore Web Wheeler

Member # 102426
Best one out there is Auto Enginuity, if all you're interested in is Chrysler, just buy the Chrysler package.

Cheap but good for codes and data (not just OBD2) is Scan-xl. Just no Bi-directional communication.

If all you need is OBD2 data, you can get something ELM-327 based off of fee-bay. If you search the net....there are "shady" ways to add enhanced diagnostics to ELM-327.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 207169
What about ford ??
TorqueRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 55462
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueRanger View Post
What about ford ??
Same thing. Autoenginuity with the enhanced ford bundle. It even let's you drop injector and do cylinder contribution tests on 03+ CAN computer vehicles, like my 03 6.0 powerstroke. Makes finding sticking injectors easy. It'll check abs, airbags, etc. You can even program speedos for tire size with it.
PowerStrokeTim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 106845
Send a message via AIM to flatlander757
I'll second Auto Enginuity... I use it at work and it's generally great... if only the laptop we have it on wasn't a complete piece of shit

I've heavily considered buying it for my own use at home... I may actually do it once we have a house and I can try and do some side work to make some money so it pays for itself.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 77047
Send a message via AIM to Strider_aa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash303 View Post
Best one out there is Auto Enginuity, if all you're interested in is Chrysler, just buy the Chrysler package.

Cheap but good for codes and data (not just OBD2) is Scan-xl. Just no Bi-directional communication.

If all you need is OBD2 data, you can get something ELM-327 based off of fee-bay. If you search the net....there are "shady" ways to add enhanced diagnostics to ELM-327.
I don't expect to own anything but Chrysler corp. I saw the ELM-327. I want to be able to watch the stats when I'm driving if I'm having problems. The sellers don't mention software. Is there a specific freeware/shareware package that work's well?
Strider_aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hardcore Web Wheeler

Member # 102426
The most reliable freeware one that I use with ELM-327 is EZobd2. You can watch data while driving, but you are limited to Obd2 only. You get temps, voltages, and fuel trims, but not much more. Some people complain that ELM is buggy, but it's been flawless for me.

I use Scan-xl to access airbags, abs and such with elm-327 too. But it seems a little buggy. They are supposed to be releasing Chrysler and Toyata support soon. I currently use it for Ford, Mazda, and GM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Table Rock Crawler

Member # 115122
Never used Autoingenuity or the ELM-327. I did almost buy Proscan a few months ago http://www.myscantool.com/ but I bought a Launch Creader6 instead. Didnt go Proscan because they never responded to my emails..the launch graphs up to 4 PIDs, seems fast, and on a newer 08+ vehical it will give you about 25-35 PIDs including the fuel rail pressure on direct injection engines. And it fits in my pocket, kinda....but its OBD2 only and doesnt talk to anyother modules I.E. IPCM, TCM, BCM. ABS etc.

Autoingenuity looks cool buy its 1300$, for that you could buy on of these http://www.auteltech.com/ds708.htm It looks like another bang for your buck tool. Supposedly it will do alot, and it too is about 1300$. Its on my wish list....One not mentioned is EScan. I went to a class I while back and the teacher used ATS products it was awsome, but I dont know if it will do an all module scan or can get datastream info from anything besides the PCM/ECM. If it does than it looks pretty sweet too http://atsnm.com/escan.htm I met the President of the company Bernie, hes sharp especially with scope stuff.

Im intrested in this Scan-xl....must google......

EDIT: whitetrash, will your Scan-xl get info from every node on a CAN bus like an OTC Genisis all system scan?

Last edited by gmcxt; 06-02-2012 at 10:03 PM.
gmcxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hardcore Web Wheeler

Member # 102426
Late bump to update.

Proscan is ELM based. I tried it a long time ago using a hack. I wasn't all that impressed with it. There are other ELM based software programs that work well. Such as Scan XL and EZ-OBD2.

Autoenginuity is cheaper than $1300, just depends what software you get. If you go all out $2600 gets you everything but Volvo. You can get a cheap clone of it " ACI Scanner". But you can not update the clone past 2010 software. If you're a tech for a living I suggest just buying the real deal, It's worth it.

Launch flat out sucks, period. I demo'd it for 2 weeks. It's buggy as hell and very slow. Updates may help, but it was poor out of the box.

The Autel DS708 is awesome! Kinda sucked out of the box, but once updated it's fantastic. It's software is almost identical to Launch, except it works. Still a little buggy with Honda and Acura, but bang for the buck it kicks ass.
Be carefull about buying one for $1300 though. At that price it's likely a chinese clone. If you can't update it through the company website then stay away, the updates come out often and it keeps getting better. I paid $1900 for mine.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 55462
I got the autoenginuity with the domestic bundle for around $600. Does gm, ford, Chrysler, and generic obd2. Works great on my 6.0 powerstroke, and dads lbz duramax. Even let's me program keys and tire sizes for fords. At work I use the otc genysis however.
PowerStrokeTim is online now   Reply With Quote