Adding a rear cargo light. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9445
Send a message via Skype™ to gp_frk
Adding a rear cargo light.

I'm adding a rear cargo light to my 4 runner that is actually usable as opposed to the retarded "deck light" Toyota put in it. My issue is I would like to be able to control it from either end of the truck (switch on the dash and switch on the light itself).
I'm assuming I would need a relay or 2 in order to make this work out but that is above my pay scale and I would rather do this right the 1st time and not burn my rig to the ground trying it.
Anyone got any advice or a link to a circuit like I'm describing?
gp_frk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
www.SBWinVPS.com

Member # 28540
Do you want to be able to turn it on via the switch on the light and off via the switch on the dash or will you only need on/off from the same switch?

Email, Website and Blog hosting

SBWinVPS We can support your Land Use organization!
98blacktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9445
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacktj View Post
Do you want to be able to turn it on via the switch on the light and off via the switch on the dash or will you only need on/off from the same switch?
I'd like to be able to turn it on and off from either switch but I don't need it like a hall light where I can turn it on at one end and off at the other necessarily.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 182820
you mean like two switches in parallel?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 157046
You can wire two SPST switches in parallel, then you would be able to turn the light on at either end, but you would also have to turn it off at the same switch.

You can wire two SPST switches in series, then both would have to be on to turn on the light, but you would be able to shut it off at either location.

You can wire two SPDT switches like a three way in a house and be able to open or close the light from either switch, but, like in a house, you would not be able to label the switches on/off since their position would depend on the other light.

You don't really need a relay for this, the lamp (assuming it's not something crazy) shouldn't draw any harmful amperage and can be controlled just through the switches.

So, specifically, what do you want to do? Once you tell me what you want to do I can paint you up a diagram.

Last edited by xmptsunami; 05-11-2012 at 12:00 PM.
xmptsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9445
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmptsunami View Post
You can wire two SPDT switches like a three way in a house and be able to open or close the light from either switch, but, like in a house, you would not be able to label the switches on/off since their position would depend on the other light.

So, specifically, what do you want to do? Once you tell me what you want to do I can paint you up a diagram.
This sounds like the way to go if it doesn't involve anything crazy
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 157046
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_frk View Post
This sounds like the way to go if it doesn't involve anything crazy
This diagram should help you out, ignore the two lights, just put your light where they've got two.

http://www.rkm.com.au/animations/ani...ay-switch.html

The switch you want is a SPDT (single pole double throw) switch. Make sure it's an on/on switch and not an on/off/on. The switch should only have two positions, not three, the third center position would shut off your light irregardless of the position of the second switch (actually, this may be desirable as a "locked off" position you could use from the front seat of you truck). If you don't understand what I mean I'll draw it out.

Last edited by xmptsunami; 05-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
xmptsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 57353
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmptsunami View Post
I always wondered how those circuits worked, but never took the time to look it up. That's just downright clever
TheAlmightySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 47848
What year 4runner do you have? Do you have the factory alarm, key fob?

I've got a '99 3rd gen, SR5 with a hatch light I've added. It's tapped into the alarm/rear ECU in the hatch. I'll dig up some pics.

1999 4Runner
4x4mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 47848
I've put cree led's in the dome lights, hatch light and added cree rock lights. The light housing is from an s-10 blazer and has a switch in the housing. The ground wire is connected to the rear ecu so it operates the same as the rear cargo light and it's switch. Turns on with the door opening, off and on. I can also turn it off and just use the rear cargo light.

Here is the a shot from the rear. The lights that are on are the modded rear cargo light and the hatch light.

Here is the rear cargo light, hatch light and rear rock lights.

Here is a side view. Middle interior light, rear cargo light, hatch light and rock lights.

1999 4Runner
Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 47848
If you have a 3rd gen with the ecu back there this is it's location. You can also see the wired hatch light.

Here are the electronics. The led is run off a driver (around 15 bucks)

The wire to tap into for ground trip is the one with the zip tie. It's blue and I think the stripe is grey. You need to grab it close to the pin connector.

1999 4Runner

Last edited by 4x4mike; 05-15-2012 at 10:27 AM.