Wiring transmission sensor - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Wiring transmission sensor

I have a Stewart Warner transmission temp sensor I'm trying to wire. The sensor is in a AN T-fitting that is inline of the rubber transmission lines, ie it's not grounded against anything.

I had the sensor originally wired with a single wire that ran to the gauge but the needle won't move off the lowest setting, just under 140.

So I figured I need a ground wire so I ran a ground but if I attach it to the sensor stud the needle pegs out a the max of 320.

How do I wire this stupid thing? I have been searching google without much luck.

I tired clamping the ground to the side of the sensor with a vise grips and got the fluid up to ~145 and the needle didn't move.

Experience is what you get 30 seconds after you need it

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 207169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
I have a Stewart Warner transmission temp sensor I'm trying to wire. The sensor is in a AN T-fitting that is inline of the rubber transmission lines, ie it's not grounded against anything.

I had the sensor originally wired with a single wire that ran to the gauge but the needle won't move off the lowest setting, just under 140.

So I figured I need a ground wire so I ran a ground but if I attach it to the sensor stud the needle pegs out a the max of 320.

How do I wire this stupid thing? I have been searching google without much luck.

I tired clamping the ground to the side of the sensor with a vise grips and got the fluid up to ~145 and the needle didn't move.
The top post is for the the trans gauge and the the body has to be ground without touching the top post...Try another gauge if you can because you might have burned out the gauge by ground out the sensor wire...
TorqueRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 17870
Is this it?

You are correct in that the body needs to be grounded. It sounds like your gauge is working. I welded a stud to the "T" on mine and connected the ground there. You could always test it in a can of boiling water, boiling would be 212 deg F.
Attached Images

After a while you realize the PIG is enjoying himself!
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 56430
You have a ground problem. This is similar to how both mine are done, with a sender in the rubber hose. The sender screws into a fitting. Take your solder gun, and wrap bare wire around the fitting (not the sender), then solder the wire to the fitting. That becomes your ground strap.

And even though the engine is up to operating temps, the trans will take a significantly longer time to come up to temp, and that's typically under load, not idling in your driveway.

Last edited by Treeclimber; 05-19-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
cool, thanks that what I was thinking. And yeah the trans takes along time to warm up sitting in the driveway, lol.

Experience is what you get 30 seconds after you need it

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote