Soldering CB cable ends - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 64925
Send a message via MSN to grnd93
Soldering CB cable ends

Plan on installing the CB in my TJ soon. My plan is to make an antenna mount to bolt in place of the spare tire carrier on the tailgate and run the cable through the grommet where the 3rd brake light wiring ran. To do this I have to cut an end off the antenna cable and solder a new one on. I picked up the cable, stud mount and replacement end today. Anybody have any tips to make this go easier for me?
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 221016
Here's a how to

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/rfconn.htm
87slosohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 64925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87slosohc View Post

Thanks, found that with my googlefu (after posting here).

I just gotta get a chunk of angle iron to make the mount and I'll be giving it a shot.
grnd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 220625
I'd suggest trying to find compression style or crimp style PL 259 connectors instead of solder type. http://www.eham.net/articles/19257

I've soldered on N type connectors and it's a little tricky to get enough heat without getting so much as to melt the coax and short from the center conductor to the outer shield. Crimp and compression fittings are much faster and easier to work with. Also, be sure to buy the right size for the coax you're using. You may have to buy a reducer sleeve as well.
machinisttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 64925
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinisttx View Post
I'd suggest trying to find compression style or crimp style PL 259 connectors instead of solder type. http://www.eham.net/articles/19257

I've soldered on N type connectors and it's a little tricky to get enough heat without getting so much as to melt the coax and short from the center conductor to the outer shield. Crimp and compression fittings are much faster and easier to work with. Also, be sure to buy the right size for the coax you're using. You may have to buy a reducer sleeve as well.
Any signal loss or any thing with the crimp on?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 17870
Check your cable end, most have a smaller end on the cable that screws into a larger end that fits on your CB.
Attached Images

After a while you realize the PIG is enjoying himself!
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 64925
Reading about the crimp on end...the ends are cheap but the crimped is pricey. I do have a radio shop a few miles from me, maybe I'll run the cable then drive it over there and have them put the end on. I can have them adjust my SWR while they're at it.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 220625
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd93 View Post
Any signal loss or any thing with the crimp on?
With crappy connectors or a bad crimp, probably. With good connectors and a good crimp there shouldn't be any difference between them and a soldered connection(except the amount of work). Read more on the eham site and you'll probably find out more than you wanted to know about coax cable and connectors.

A type "N' connector is weatherproof and preferable to the standard PL 259, but I'm not sure if any CB antennas are made for them.
machinisttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Runs Amok

Member # 181276
Old thread, but at least I sirched

I have a CB antenna and coax coming in today that I ordered from FTL. The coax has a fire ring on one end and comes with a pl-259 that isn't soldered, so I'll have to solder it after I route it.

All I have is a Weller 100/140 gun and a small iron that I use on circuit boards. Should I even attempt the solder with the Weller or see if I can find someone with a bigger iron that can do it for me/load me the iron?

I live in BFE, so I can't just run down to the store and pick things up.
s14sh3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 86724
a 140w iron should be fine.
don't heat up the end to the point you melt it, the key is to get the iron raging hot BEFORE you try to solder anything.

that way it gets the single point hot enough to melt the solder quickly, vs having to slowly heat the entire piece and melting the coax insulator.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 135367
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14sh3r View Post
Old thread, but at least I sirched

I have a CB antenna and coax coming in today that I ordered from FTL. The coax has a fire ring on one end and comes with a pl-259 that isn't soldered, so I'll have to solder it after I route it.

All I have is a Weller 100/140 gun and a small iron that I use on circuit boards. Should I even attempt the solder with the Weller or see if I can find someone with a bigger iron that can do it for me/load me the iron?

I live in BFE, so I can't just run down to the store and pick things up.
Your iron will be plenty big enough, hell I've put them on with 30 watt pencil irons plenty of times.

_(o))-o-))(o))--o))
kc8ksg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
MORE ROCKS LESS TALK

Member # 141570
You can also do it with a propane torch if you're very careful. Ask me how I know.
dirtydawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Runs Amok

Member # 181276
Shit finally came UPS and it's the type of connector that only needs the center pin soldered. Should be easy, but it's like 102 right now and damned if I'm going to go out and solder it. Come on night time

Last edited by s14sh3r; 08-07-2013 at 04:55 PM.
s14sh3r is online now   Reply With Quote