alt - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newbie
 
jertaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Member # 196440
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 58
alt

i have a 5.0..with a c4 in my jeep/bugy has a one wire 130 amp small frame chevy power master...problem is im always to low rpm for it to kick in so i kill batteries.. i have a larg stereo any one have a suggestion.
jertaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
machinisttx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Member # 220625
Posts: 132
put a smaller pulley on the alternator
machinisttx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hardcore Web Wheeler
 
Whitetrash303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102426
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,076
Sell the chevy 1 wire garbage to the next poor S.O.B. and throw a Ford 3g on it.
__________________
The Answer to 1984 is 1776
Whitetrash303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
mechmanalternators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Member # 182350
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertaylor View Post
i have a 5.0..with a c4 in my jeep/bugy has a one wire 130 amp small frame chevy power master...problem is im always to low rpm for it to kick in so i kill batteries.. i have a larg stereo any one have a suggestion.
A large case Ford 3G unit is a good way to go if you are on a budget. It will give you probably another 30 amps or so at idle, assuming that you have the correct pulley ration. I have several used 3G alternators that are in great shape that I can sell pretty cheap if you want to go that route.

Or, if you want the really good stuff....

We actually manufacture our own billet alternators available in a wide variety of bolt patterns, including the delco alternators like the Power master you have. We used to be owned by powermaster, so I am very familiar with how those units perform at low RPM.

Our units use new 6 phase technology, and make 170+ amps with 150 amps at idle, they are bad to the bone... We specifically developed them because so many people need more juice at low RPMs, even with the smallest possible alternator pulley on it. The billet units will also tolerate a lot more RPM, and are also more resistant to dirt/water contamination.

Here's a comparo video showing one of our 150 amp units on the dyno:

MECHMAN BILLET 150AMP STREET ROD ALTERNATOR VS MSD - YouTube
__________________
High tech racing alternators that are made in the U.S.A.

www.billetalternator.com
trucktoughalternators.com

EMAIL- mlogan@mechman.com
mechmanalternators is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hate keeps me warm
 
Grumpy356's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member # 151139
Location: Brazoria County Texas
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechmanalternators View Post
A large case Ford 3G unit is a good way to go if you are on a budget. It will give you probably another 30 amps or so at idle, assuming that you have the correct pulley ration. I have several used 3G alternators that are in great shape that I can sell pretty cheap if you want to go that route.

Or, if you want the really good stuff....

We actually manufacture our own billet alternators available in a wide variety of bolt patterns, including the delco alternators like the Power master you have. We used to be owned by powermaster, so I am very familiar with how those units perform at low RPM.

Our units use new 6 phase technology, and make 170+ amps with 150 amps at idle, they are bad to the bone... We specifically developed them because so many people need more juice at low RPMs, even with the smallest possible alternator pulley on it. The billet units will also tolerate a lot more RPM, and are also more resistant to dirt/water contamination.

Here's a comparo video showing one of our 150 amp units on the dyno:

MECHMAN BILLET 150AMP STREET ROD ALTERNATOR VS MSD - YouTube
If its good, buy a yellow star and pimp the hell out of it, but until you buy the star........................
__________________
There ain't no good in an evil-hearted woman
And I ain't cut out to be no Jesse James
And you don't go writing hot checks down in Mississippi
And there ain't no good chain gang
Grumpy356 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
mechmanalternators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Member # 182350
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post
If its good, buy a yellow star and pimp the hell out of it, but until you buy the star........................
We had a yellow star, and it expired. One of my guys has contacted camo twice with no reply. I'd happily renew if someone would get back to me...

Besides that, Poly Performance carries our Billet racing units, so we generally just refer sales on here to them anyway.
__________________
High tech racing alternators that are made in the U.S.A.

www.billetalternator.com
trucktoughalternators.com

EMAIL- mlogan@mechman.com

Last edited by mechmanalternators; 07-22-2012 at 03:18 PM.
mechmanalternators is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.