fuel sending unit ohms - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 104943
fuel sending unit ohms

Im swapping a 93 12v cummins into a 79 ford. I want to use the stock dodge tank. From my research it shows me that a 79 ford reads 10 ohms full and 80 ohms empty. The 93 dodge sender reads 10 ohms full and 73 ohms empty. Is that enough difference to cause me to fun out of fuel before the tank shows empty or will it show empty and still have a couple gallons in it?
crazyredneckanyhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 199435
You'll run out of fuel before you hit empty.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 210335
Well, I think the 78-91 Ford trucks and vans use 10 to 130 ohm, but, the real question is will the Dodge tank sending unit work with your gauge.

The Ford's IVR sends a 5v (+) pulse to the fuel tank sending unit (probably orange wire in the main rear harness). Will that work successfully and safely with your Dodge sending unit? If not, you might be better off using a universal unit from Summit in the Dodge tank designed for a Ford gauge.

Is the tank still in the Dodge so you can test it or do you know the voltage requirements, if any, for the Dodge gauges and sending unit ?

Even being diesel, be a shame to send 5v (+) to the tank if it was not expecting it.

All things being equal, you can just bend the arm with the float, to adjust it to the different setting, just like you do with a universal sender.

Finding our what your current tank uses is pretty simply. Run it towards empty, unplug the connector at the bumper, run jumpers and read with a DMM. At the same time, relocate and reground the ground itself, after this many years it is probably not that great and flaky, so it will not give you a true OHM reading.

Last edited by 4x4prepper; 08-08-2012 at 11:09 PM.
4x4prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
bobbing for fries

Member # 190574
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyredneckanyhow View Post
Im swapping a 93 12v cummins into a 79 ford. I want to use the stock dodge tank. From my research it shows me that a 79 ford reads 10 ohms full and 80 ohms empty. The 93 dodge sender reads 10 ohms full and 73 ohms empty. Is that enough difference to cause me to fun out of fuel before the tank shows empty or will it show empty and still have a couple gallons in it?
You could just solder a 10 ohm resistor to the dodge sending unit. It wont ever read full, but at empty there will be a little reserve.

Why not use the Ford tank? Turn one of the evap ports into a return, and swap in a larger filler neck.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 104943
The ohms readings i got were from the book at napa. Thats what they listed for both tanks. I may just buy an auto meter gauge and run that.

As far as using a stock ford tank goes it would cause problems. The stock tanks are galvanized. When diesel fuel gets any sort of water in it the sulfur turns to basically culfuric acid which will erode the galvanize off the tank and start to clog up the fuel system. Ive been told this by a few people and also read it on cummins forum. I just figured since i had the stock plastic dodge tank i would go ahead and use it.
crazyredneckanyhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
bobbing for fries

Member # 190574
You are correct on the zinc coating. I forgot that part.

You can reseal the Ford tank to make it compatible, or use a poly tank.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 130483
hook the dodge tank up when empty and make note what the gauge reads
then dont let the tank get even close to it unless you like to bleed your injectors