LED light bar BEHIND the windshield? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I have a buddy who works with rigid. Once my bank account recovers from the giant wave of bills that hit me this last month I'll start bugging him about heat output. Theres no sense in me bugging a whole bunch of people if I can't pull the trigger on buying from them.
So, you are going for the RDS-Series Light Bars then I presume?
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 175582
I mounted mine inside of the windshield down low in front of my spreader bar. Its on a TJ but the concept is the same. I thought I would need some kind of foam rubber gasket for glare but was surprised to find out the glare wasn't bad at all. It's a Fenix 30" single row. Very low profile. It looses very little, if any lumen output shining through the windshield.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 51990
Anyone else have any more input on this? Thinking of mounting a 52" or whatever I can fit inside off my internal cage. Basically off top roof bar hanging down so it's protected and I don't have to do anything awkward outside truck. Curious about heat and glare.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 24876
Anyone try this?
Old 12-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
J P

Member # 121424
Would the heat difference on the glass cause the glass to fracture ?
J P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #31 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
Quote:
Originally Posted by J P View Post
Would the heat difference on the glass cause the glass to fracture ?
That's a good question.

I'm gonna guess* that it's not any worse than the hell we put our windshields through, -40 outside and the defrost blowing hot air at the bottom of the windshield.

*I don't have any experience at all with led bar heat output.

Good luck and remember, if you're not awesome, don't worry, because I'm FUCKING awesome!!
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #32 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
That glare from the TJ windshield would drive me insane

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #33 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 206384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckin_Slusher View Post
That's a good question.

I'm gonna guess* that it's not any worse than the hell we put our windshields through, -40 outside and the defrost blowing hot air at the bottom of the windshield.

*I don't have any experience at all with led bar heat output.
which adds up to about 70% of the windshields in Ak having a horizontal crack 6" from the bottom...
Old 04-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Wheelin 24/7

Member # 22176
Did this ever get done?

Quote:
I swear sometimes this place should be called "Autism on bath salts".
:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
MSC

Member # 545890
I would think if you had a crack or rock chip in your view it would be like looking into the light itself. When you shine light through glass doesn't it travel to the edges of the glass, cracks and chips?
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49159
Not by me. I've been making grown up decisions for the last year and a half and it sucks. Truck has been in storage for at least that long. My next super sweet mod to it will be registration and a tank of fuel
Old 01-15-2017, 02:44 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 668425

42" mounted to cage behind windshield, lots of glare with windshield on I wheel with windshield off most of the time so not a factor for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
colaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2017, 01:38 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 513154
decent idea but i think the windscreen will defuse the light because of the angle and throw it everywhere limiting how far you can throw a beam. Keen to be proven wrong though
jgrov2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 65971
LMAO, it's the only place you should ever mount a light bar. Unless you like wind noise, drilling holes in the roof to mount/wire it, climbing your truck to keep it clean, or having thieves destroy your truck when they take it...

I installed mine behind the windshield because people told me it was a stupid idea...

Easy to keep clean...

My wipers aren't even lit up never mind the dash...

The light output is not compromised to the point your eyecrometer will ever notice...

Fords flex A LOT. I actually use mine off road and because of the flexing my windshield cracks from time to time. I am lucky they are still inexpensive. When the light shines through the cracks you can see a greenish line in the glass, but that’s about it…

Without the light bar up top I can still fit in places where it is already difficult with a lifted truck…

As far as heat is concerned, it’s not an issue. The optics are plastic and the light is shooting through a plastic lens. None of that melts. The heatsink on the back gets warm, but it’s not going to set your sun visors or headliner on fire. If your kid grabs it accidently he/she won’t get burned.

If you mount it inside get ready to answer lots of questions when you are out and about. You will also have fun talking to know-it-alls that will tell you it’s a stupid idea until you turn it on for them and show them how stupid it really is.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 724426
Beautiful truck man. I actually like the idea of an interior bar. I've hesitated getting led bars for my Ram and my Tahoe but always hated the thought of people stealing them. Its not as bad now that I dont live in Las Vegas but I just learned to not trust people.
Will_v2lab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 65971
Thanks. We have had the truck for over 15 years. I can't say enough good things about it.

It sucks that one of things people have to think about when mounting lights is if someone is going to steal them or not. But I guess we always have to keep that in mind when adding things to our trucks.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 746889
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdunes View Post
Thanks. We have had the truck for over 15 years. I can't say enough good things about it.

It sucks that one of things people have to think about when mounting lights is if someone is going to steal them or not. But I guess we always have to keep that in mind when adding things to our trucks.
Could you put up some pictures and perhaps an explanation on your build? Im interested in how you mounted it and the shroud you used to keep the glare on the cab down. thanks in advanced.
zTerruh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 02:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 83100
Does it block your vision? I have short little legs and a long torso, and no matter how I adjust it, my rearview mirror block my vision. Seems to me a lightbar would be worse.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:54 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 65971
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatCJ View Post
Does it block your vision? I have short little legs and a long torso, and no matter how I adjust it, my rearview mirror block my vision. Seems to me a lightbar would be worse.
Depending on the vehicle and how you sit in the vehicle it could definitely be a problem. In my truck the bottom of the light is roughly 1.5 inches higher than the bottom edge of the sun visor. If that is still too low, run a single row LED light(s).

Mounting the light inside solved all the issues I had with mounting the light on the outside. Stays clean, no external holes, no wind noise, harder to steel, easier to wire and I don't have a goofy looking light bar on top of my truck. Some people don't care about any of that stuff.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:03 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 65971
Quote:
Originally Posted by zTerruh View Post
Could you put up some pictures and perhaps an explanation on your build? Im interested in how you mounted it and the shroud you used to keep the glare on the cab down. thanks in advanced.
I will work on getting some pictures of the mounting, but it's nothing fancy. Just some light bar mounts I modified to fit the inside of my truck. The plate under the light is even less fancy at the moment. I have a nice aluminum one I made, but it is currently getting powder coated. Along the front edge of that is a piece of rubber weather stripping that sits against the windshield. Makes a nice seal and keeps the aluminum from ever making contact with the glass. In the meantime I have a piece of cardboard under the light with duct tape along the front edge creating a wiper type seal to block the light. The hardest part about the whole project was getting the curve at the back of the windshield correct. I made a "tool" to get the curve correct and enable me to transfer the curve onto a piece of cardboard for a template.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #46 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 83100
Quote:
Mounting the light inside solved all the issues I had with mounting the light on the outside. Stays clean, no external holes, no wind noise, harder to steel, easier to wire and I don't have a goofy looking light bar on top of my truck. Some people don't care about any of that stuff.
All things that matter to me, too.

Nice work.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 747049
Quote:
I will work on getting some pictures of the mounting, but it's nothing fancy. Just some light bar mounts I modified to fit the inside of my truck. The plate under the light is even less fancy at the moment. I have a nice aluminum one I made, but it is currently getting powder coated. Along the front edge of that is a piece of rubber weather stripping that sits against the windshield. Makes a nice seal and keeps the aluminum from ever making contact with the glass. In the meantime I have a piece of cardboard under the light with duct tape along the front edge creating a wiper type seal to block the light. The hardest part about the whole project was getting the curve at the back of the windshield correct. I made a "tool" to get the curve correct and enable me to transfer the curve onto a piece of cardboard for a template.
I'd be interested in this too for my truck, I don't like them on top unless on a rack. Your truck looks great!
Cameronswmp9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.