Batteries...Optima alternatives? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Electrical & Wiring
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
InArtecWeTruss

Member # 117381
I've put the 1750 mount up on the website. You can buy it here. Don't forget the pirate4x4 coupon and you'll get a total of 20% off with the sale.

http://artecindustries.3dcartstores....nt-_p_121.html

I'll post up pictures later. I have the base cut and bent but the top didn't get nested on the same sheet. Should have pics later today or tomorrow.

Like us on FACEBOOK
Quick Links: Battery Mounts ULTIMATE HIGH STEER QUART CRATE Axle Trusses Fuel Cell Mounts
Artec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 84454
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilantgreen View Post
I bought Deka Intimidators by East Penn.

Our resident battery expert here (the experience 3000) insisted that East Penn was the shit when it comes to batteries. So far, I'd agree with him.

I put Intimidators in both TJs, two military 2HN batteries in the Mighty Mite, and a "regular" Deka in my F150. Love 'em.
x2 on the Deka Intimidator. Everyone who has used 'em has nothing but praise, and they cost less than Optimas and MUCH less than Odysseys.

Also, the X2 sold by Batteries Plus is just a Deka Intimidator with BP's label on it. I bought a pair, and they work great.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
Right, only one truly shitty battery. My Odyssey didn't last 3 months and their warranty is a fucking joke. That was about 7 years ago and I'm still running the same Yellowtop that I replaced it with now. In fact, its been sitting on a shelf in my shop the past 2 years which is suppossedly what kills Optimas yet I used it to jump my brother's buggy off a month or two ago. I'm Optima Yellow Top all the way.
Optimas from 7 years ago are the best batteries around. Optimas today are several steps below a Wal-Mart NeverStart.

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
apeters89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeters89 View Post
Optimas from 7 years ago are the best batteries around. Optimas today are several steps below a Wal-Mart NeverStart.
Quoted for Truth. I've gone through at least 6 red tops in the last 2 years in vehicles that get driven once a month tops and spend the rest of the time with the batteries disconnected. Finally got sick of dealing with the hassle of warrantying a battery every time I wanted to use my rig, got the parts store to exchange the ones in street driven vehicles for normal lead acid batteries, and the others have been replaced with PowerMaster XS Powers.

The Powermaster is in the same case as the Odyssey and I'm pretty sure they are made in the same factory, but according to our reps at PM the lead they use is held to a higher quality control standard. We've had fantastic luck with them in the crawlers, and after seeing Dustin anchor the KOH TJ to my diesel and then use both front and rear winches to drag his 65' long Toterhome and trailer roughly 200yards burried to the axles in sand running on only one 925 I'm completely sold on their durability.

Overall Winner, 2012&13 KOH EMC. Gettin it done in a stocker!
Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
InArtecWeTruss

Member # 117381
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkBug View Post
The Powermaster is in the same case as the Odyssey and I'm pretty sure they are made in the same factory.
I wonder if our Odyssey mounts will fit them if they are the same case?

Like us on FACEBOOK
Quick Links: Battery Mounts ULTIMATE HIGH STEER QUART CRATE Axle Trusses Fuel Cell Mounts
Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
I'm sure they will, at least for the 925. I use an old trashed odyssey to mockup mounting for the XS Power version. They are identical physically.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 33536
two dead red tops in the last 3-4 years, free for the taking for any Optima lovers out there...
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #33 (permalink)
Texas by GOD

Member # 69765
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ears_productpg
made by odyssey just blue. run one in both rovers.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
retards everywhere

Member # 124967
Quote:

The Powermaster is in the same case as the Odyssey and I'm pretty sure they are made in the same factory, but according to our reps at PM the lead they use is held to a higher quality control standard.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Tigerchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #35 (permalink)
InArtecWeTruss

Member # 117381
Quote:
but according to our reps at PM the lead they use is held to a higher quality control standard.
Odyssey claims they use 99.99% pure virgin lead not a lead alloy. Maybe PM uses 99.999%. Reps will say anything I've learned but its the performance of that tractor pull on that trailer on a 925 that is impressive.

Either way, if my Odyssey mounts fit both, that would be awesome.

A bunch of people must have been waiting for the Odyssey PC 1750/Sear DH P2 mounts because we got a bunch of orders last night. Thanks for the orders.

Like us on FACEBOOK
Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 137
I used to run the Red Optimas in all my rigs. They slowly started dying off over the years so I replaced them with Deka's. Unlike the reds, I haven't had one of those Deka's not be able to take a new charge & still operate.
http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...&addtype=local
'78 FJ40
'91 Ram W250 5 spd. CTD SC/SRW
'93 Ram W350 5 spd. CTD SC/SRW
'99 Ram 3500 4X4 5 spd. CTD SC/DRW
Welding is like sex, it's all about the penetration!
LC Hamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #37 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artec View Post
Reps will say anything I've learned but its the performance of that tractor pull on that trailer on a 925 that is impressive.
That's very true, reps will say anything for a sale sometimes, but at that time we were still a sponsored team, and had a long relationship with them. They were giving us the batteries at that time, so there was no reason to give a sales pitch. We had run Odysseys for a couple seasons and had pretty good luck, but had also killed one or 2 (I have one of them as my mockup battery now). We've never been able to kill one of the XS batteries, and have done some fucked up things to them, so I tend to believe that SOMETHING is different internally. I pay full pop for them now, and have no complaints about their price tag because I feel it's worth it to not have to worry about if my rig will start or not.

Those are some really nice boxes BTW. I especially like the double 925 box. I'll be keeping those in mind for future projects for sure.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #38 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15263
Send a message via ICQ to 82F100SWB Send a message via AIM to 82F100SWB Send a message via MSN to 82F100SWB Send a message via Yahoo to 82F100SWB
If weight and size isn't an issue, pretty much any Group 31 style battery is a good bet, I personally have been running cat batteries as of late, but the only G31 I've had issues with was an optima... LOL
Considering the temperature cycling a battery sees in my climate, an expensive battery for the DD is a bad move, never had a battery of any sort last more than 4 years.
The PC2150 has been on my want list for the wheeling rig for a while, but, I'm just comparing the specs with the cat 115-2422 I have in there, the difference in specs aren't all that big and don't justify nearly triple the price to me, especially since I have no need for mounting in anything but a standard position.
86 F250... 460/T19/1345/D60/welded 10.25, 44 Boggers, reg cab, some junk... Build
82F100SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #39 (permalink)
InArtecWeTruss

Member # 117381
Quote:
Those are some really nice boxes BTW. I especially like the double 925 box. I'll be keeping those in mind for future projects for sure.
Thanks, it's only about the size of a regular 34 optima so it fits nicely. I like your paper towel holders. Who knew?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82F100SWB View Post
The PC2150 has been on my want list for the wheeling rig for a while, but...don't justify nearly triple the price to me, especially since I have no need for mounting in anything but a standard position.
Check out the Sears DieHard Platinum PM-1. Relabeled Odyssey just with accessory terminals too. Then hold it down with one of my mounts with all the money you save.

Like us on FACEBOOK
Old 09-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPF View Post
x2 on the Deka Intimidator. Everyone who has used 'em has nothing but praise, and they cost less than Optimas and MUCH less than Odysseys.

Also, the X2 sold by Batteries Plus is just a Deka Intimidator with BP's label on it. I bought a pair, and they work great.
Do you have a model number for this BP battery? I looked up X2 and came up empty
Old 09-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 84454
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineTx View Post
Do you have a model number for this BP battery? I looked up X2 and came up empty
No, sure don't. For some reason it's not on BP's website. Best bet would be to visit your local BP. I got the group 34 size battery. I actually called up East Penn, and they confirmed that the X2 is indeed their Intimidator battery with BP's label on it - no difference. Since I bought 2 at the same time, BP gave me a 10% discount. I ended up paying $140 per battery, $305 out the door for both (with tax). Not too shabby IMO.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 139330
I've good luck with Orbital Batteries... I own 7 in 5 differen't Vehicles and I have never had a problem.

http://www.remybattery.com/Departments/Extreme-Performance-Batteries/Exide-Orbital-Battery.aspx] Orbital Batteries

I Wish I could still get them through NAPA.
MNtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 88021
I'm having good luck with my Exide Orbital, great warranty also if it quits!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchief View Post
As for optimas, I read a post by a guy that works for Johnson Controls, and asked internally what was up. Basically he said they fixed the QC problems and anything made after Nov '09 should be good to go.
Considering they never publicly owned up to their shit sucking ass as of late, I'll still stay away and rank Walmart above them. Maybe 5-10 years of stellar consistent performance from their products will change my mind.

Unless they want to do the right thing and change out a 4-5 year old or so red top that sucked ass right from the get go. I never bothered warrantying it because I knew the next one would suck ass, just as the one after that. Why abuse myself.

By sucking ass - the only thing it can do is start an engine, and it couldn't even do that all the time without being put on a charger. An 8yo OEM battery kicked it's ass when new.
Travis Waldher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #45 (permalink)
retards everywhere

Member # 124967
I wouldn't know how good they are now, no one I know will buy one, including me.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 63265
Try kinetik batteries they are the best on the market they control the car stereo market (way more abusive) , look online, read reviews Im the rep for this company and have seen them used in several different applications these things are bulletproof you wont regret it
justinarambel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #47 (permalink)
retards everywhere

Member # 124967
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinarambel View Post
Try kinetik batteries they are the best on the market they control the car stereo market (way more abusive) , look online, read reviews Im the rep for this company and have seen them used in several different applications these things are bulletproof you wont regret it
Feel free to send me one for trial. I'll write a full report, with pics, and correct spelling. I even know how to use a voltmeter and an ammeter.

I wonder how many people will google "ammeter" and be surprised they've been saying it and spelling wrong all these years? :blackflipoff2:

Last edited by Tigerchief; 09-01-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 84454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Waldher View Post
Considering they never publicly owned up to their shit sucking ass as of late, I'll still stay away and rank Walmart above them. Maybe 5-10 years of stellar consistent performance from their products will change my mind.

Unless they want to do the right thing and change out a 4-5 year old or so red top that sucked ass right from the get go. I never bothered warrantying it because I knew the next one would suck ass, just as the one after that. Why abuse myself.

By sucking ass - the only thing it can do is start an engine, and it couldn't even do that all the time without being put on a charger. An 8yo OEM battery kicked it's ass when new.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJethro View Post
I
5 points to whoever can identify the PBB vendor whos shop that work is taking place in.
High Angle Driveline
Old 09-02-2010, 01:42 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 13381
Send a message via Yahoo to KidJethro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
High Angle Driveline
I beginning to wonder if anyone was gonna even take a guess.

+5pts

Although....you DO live in the same town.
KidJethro is offline   Reply With Quote