turning an astrosafari into a mini-adventure-mobile - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #51 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 180649
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSE_at_TLT View Post
Thanks, I think I might just try that. Are those O2 sensor readings used to make any adjustments to fuel or timing or anything? Just wondering if it's going to affect the way the engine runs.
All the rear O2 sensor does is tell the computer if the catalytic converter is bad. The front sensor fine tunes the air fuel mixture. The downside is when that back sensor sees that the converter isn't there it sends the computer a message saying "hey there's something wrong". When the computer see's that signal it goes into "open loop" which is a preset set of air/fuel parameters from factory. (ignoring the front O2 sensor)

That's why when someone cuts the catalytic converter off the vehicle it's starts getting crap fuel economy. Not because there's magic in there that makes fuel mileage, but because when the computer goes to open loop it can't fine tune the air fuel ratio for optimal economy.

Last edited by clastic; 11-10-2011 at 01:32 PM.
clastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #52 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Thanks, that's how I thought they worked on the older vehicles, but this '02 is much newer than anything else I've ever owned/built, and didn't know if that had changed.
JESSE_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 30996
Damn, beat me to it.

The 02 sensors downstream of the cats only tell the computer if there is a cat and that it is working properly. As long as you have the upstream cats, the fuel, timing, etc will be fine.

Dan

Last edited by mines4x4; 11-11-2011 at 11:12 AM.
mines4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #54 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mines4x4 View Post
Damn, beat me to it.

The 02 sensors downstream of the cats only tell the computer if there is a cat and that it is working properly. As long as you have the upstream cats, the fuel, timing, etc will be fine.

Dan
Upstream cats? No, removed both of them. Would not normally do that, but they were both plugged, and just can't justify buying new ones to replace them.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #55 (permalink)
Bobbing for Fries

Member # 190574
X-whatever we are up to, on the downstream O2s, they are just a check to see if the cats are working.

Are you planning a hard shell or tent style high top?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #56 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Hard-shell. Just cutting off the roof and building a simple roll cage that will make the new roofline, and then skinning it. Only planning on going up about 4-6", just high enough to be able to load dirtbikes into the back of it...
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 127650
Only put spacers on the 02 sensors after where the cats used to be, not the ones before the cats.

You can use a 18mm flat washer spark plug anti-fouler, found in sets of 2 in the "Help" brand section of most chain auto parts stores. Use a 1/2" bit to drill out the center of the spark plug anti fouler, and the O2 sensor will now thread into it, and it into the exhaust. That gives you a spacer without any welding, and it's removable if you put cats back in down the line to pass emissions or something. They work great.

Oh yeah, it's a federal crime to tamper with the emissions systems on a vehicle, but since you already hacked the cats off I doubt you care.

Last edited by RanchTruck; 11-11-2011 at 06:52 PM.
RanchTruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #58 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchTruck View Post
Only put spacers on the 02 sensors after where the cats used to be, not the ones before the cats.

You can use a 18mm flat washer spark plug anti-fouler, found in sets of 2 in the "Help" brand section of most chain auto parts stores. Use a 1/2" bit to drill out the center of the spark plug anti fouler, and the O2 sensor will now thread into it, and it into the exhaust. That gives you a spacer without any welding, and it's removable if you put cats back in down the line to pass emissions or something. They work great.
Awesome, thanks. That sounds like a super cheap/easy solution.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #59 (permalink)
Bobbing for Fries

Member # 190574
If you are going to DD the van, I would suggest cutting an inch or so off of the right side of the brake pedal. My foot tends to get caught between the brake pedal and doghouse when lifting off the gas. Not fun when panic braking in traffic. . .
Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #60 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Whoa, that's terrible. If I keep it, I'm going to do a few things to make it a little bit safer (rollcage), but thanks, I'll definitely look into that brake pedal issue.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #61 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Got the broken heater control valve replaced, so was finally able to add coolant. New valve with aux. fittings is on the right. Just capped them for now, but will probably use them for an aux heater later.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #62 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Also started working on a new rear bumper. Not in any hurry to cut the roof off, but wanted to be able to tow stuff. So visited the salvage yard and bought some scrap metal. The main bumper is 3x5" x .188-wall and I'm chopping-up an old H2 spare tire carrier to make a spare tire carrier / cargo rack. The whole point of this project is to build something down-and-dirty. cheap-cheap-cheap. But am going to try to make it nice-ish.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #63 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Ooooooh, what? 1-ton Safari?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #64 (permalink)
Bobbing for Fries

Member # 190574
Quote:
Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 65100
Send a message via Yahoo to rustywagoneersdotcom
Quote:
NOW you're talking.

Last edited by rustywagoneersdotcom; 11-15-2011 at 09:45 AM.
rustywagoneersdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #66 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Got a few funny looks on my way down to pacfab this morning...

Old 11-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 75114
Vry Niice
keeptahoewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #68 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Made a little bit more progress on the rear bumper today.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #69 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Rattle-canned the rear bumper today, just to keep it from rusting until I find time to finish it. Was cold out today though, so decided to let the paint dry for another day before mounting it.

Spent most of the day cleaning out the van after yanking the roof rack and stripping shelving out of the back.

Done! Trying to keep it simple...

Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #70 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 63534
A guy that i worked with for a bit had a van like this, and he made a platform towards the back that had a futon matress on it. Underneath there was tons of storage and it was all accessible by folding the matress and opening the few compartments. When he opened the back doors, there was an open space right under the bed for immediate storage, and then there were seperate comparpments past that. There was still (living space) in front of the bed that he was able to hang out in with camp chairs ect. He made a space that was designated to all camping supplies (stove, cooking gear, plates and utensils) that was accessible from the living space and also undrer the bed. He also cut in one of those roof vents so that he could cook inside (with propane and the doors open with a tarp lean to) in crappy weather. One more thing, he also put the two front seats on swivels so that they could be rotated around, and offer additional seating for the living space.

That was a lot of info, but that shot of your interior made think of his van. He has tons of storage, permenant sleeping arrangment and enough hang out space for bad weather.

dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by timritchieblue View Post
Their $7000 bolt ons, I told that bitch, id make ya famous....ta da..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsize80cherokee View Post
If you admit to 'rollin coal' on purpose, then you probably take dick in your butt for fun.

Last edited by toy4x4ota; 11-17-2011 at 10:05 PM.
toy4x4ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 86225
Jesse. Post 66, Looking at the Second to last, and last Pic. Will the Barndoors still be able to open with the Swingarm on. Especially the Driverside with the "Clasp". Or is it just screwy camera angles ?
5Cyl Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #72 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Sounds pretty cool. Spent most of last night sitting in the back of mine with a flashlight, trying to figure out how to make best use of the space I've got to work with. Not going to turn this into a dedicated camper. Am going to use it as a daily-driver for a while, to haul my dogs and bikes, and whatever else. So trying to keep the permanent storage compartments and all the over-built-in nonsense to a minimum. Have a pretty good idea of how I think I might tackle it, but am really not in much of a hurry to get into it. Stoked to get it running, and want to spend some time getting more familiar with it to make sure it's worth putting the work into.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #73 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Cyl Jeep View Post
Jesse. Post 66, Looking at the Second to last, and last Pic. Will the Barndoors still be able to open with the Swingarm on. Especially the Driverside with the "Clasp". Or is it just screwy camera angles ?
Yes. Spent a long time taking measurements to ensure that it wouldn't hit. Have mounted and tested it and it's close, but it clears. Not even really sure what I'm going to do with that swingaway tire carrier yet. Just threw it on there because I had it laying around. Figured it would be cool to mount the spare tire back there so I can use the space behind the rear axle to carry water and a few batteries. Not sure what else. Really don't want to change the overall look of the vehicle all that much. It's super-stealthy, and I like that...
Old 11-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 86225
If your going to DD the Van, I'll highly suggest to just leave the Swing Arm off.

My Car is permanently packed/stocked/setup and ready to go, as we try to get away as much as possible, but a while back I had to DD my Cruiser for a while, and the Swingarm irritated the living hell out of me. To first undo the clasp and swing open the arm before you can get to the Bootlid, and start chucking in Kids Schoolbags, groceries, etc started getting old real quick.

This was my setup, and at the end of the day, I just completely removed the arm.

5Cyl Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #75 (permalink)
fishingwithdynamite

Member # 30721
That looks like a nice setup. Am familiar with the hassles associated with swingout carriers like these, but don't anticipate needing to use the back doors very often. Got that big sliding side door and could really make better use of the space under the floor behind the rear axle. When I say that I'll be using this as a daily-driver, I'm talking about taking my dogs for bikerides and that sort of thing. Ride a motorcycle most of the time, so the van can stay packed, but this is more of an exercise in minimalism than an excuse of over-accessorize (yeah, pretty much the exact opposite of mah deuce). Probably will end up leaving the spare tire carrier off a large part of the time, but only because I don't want to drive around with shovels and shit hanging off the back of my minivan all the time.