The Doc-14 tactical modular pimpomatic-3000 camper build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
The Doc-14 tactical modular pimpomatic-3000 camper build

Dont expect it to be a fast build

I have been wanting a drop in camper for my M101a2 (btw those fat pigs lose like 300lbs when you convert them to a normal electric brake axle..anyway) So I have been checking craigslist and for sale ads with no luck as they were either crap or over priced (2g's for a 25yo Alaskan camper? yes, you are on crack) And I was just going to get a used pop-up slide when I said screw it, I will BUILD what I want

I found the perfect donor for a steal on craigslist: a High build PLAIN Callen camper top. Aluminum skin, steel frame, WAY overbuilt and because this one was a retarded tall one no one wanted I got it for dirt

Wagon train FORWARD HOOOOOOOOOOO
Attached Images

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
First thing first was to cut a LOT from it I just cut it to the next inside steel support. This will make it 4-5" taller than the JK.

So I installed some eye bolts that will stay installed for this very reason, lifted it up and attacked with the sawzall
Attached Images

New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Plans: (time dictacting as I will be driving back across the country soon)

Paint it green
Remove all the unnessisary steel crap inside.
outside lights
a SOLID rear door unlike the crap in most RVs
scour the RV junkyards and get either 2 large side windows or 4 smaller ones, maybe a front window.
junkyard sunroofs
fully insulate (quite easy with the way this top is made)
inside and outside LED lights.
seal it very well.

Ok now long term or as time allows:
full integrated tub to allow it to be standalone
carpentry type shit
stove/frige
maybe make it a pop-up using the shell to slide up a smaller shell inside.
other expo/RV/camper type crap.

Give me ideas and input as this goes or tell me I am on crack and it will kill a bus load of nuns holding puppies.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 41063
No shingles please, and yes, for the love of everything good, paint it green, lol. Not quite as "tacticool" as a S-250, but I bet it was way cheaper and should be a bit easier to customize. I'd do whatever possible to get rid of the "kick" on the very back. I always hated that on the old camper shells.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
No shingles please, and yes, for the love of everything good, paint it green, lol. Not quite as "tacticool" as a S-250, but I bet it was way cheaper and should be a bit easier to customize. I'd do whatever possible to get rid of the "kick" on the very back. I always hated that on the old camper shells.
I will post when I break $100 into it I have to make a recycling run with the steel and aluminum I cut from it.

I kinda like the kick good place for "porch lighting" for the tailgate and keep the rain out of the doorway.

But yes, That bitch is getting painted a matching green ASAP. I will leave the roof white or silver to keep it from becoming an oven.

I despise the bad layout and wasted space in a lot of campers. Why do I need a stove? Baking brownies out in the woods? A sink IN the shower? I would rather have a larger shower and just wash my dishes in it. Carpet?? some nice rubber flooring is so much easier to clean. What do I need a "dining table" for? Or shitty upholstery that is hard to clean and feels like crap. Or fucking wood paneling EVERYWHERE
too much wood and too much fluff. There are such nicer alternatives in storage at IKEA or friggen home depot.

I want to keep this LIGHT and clean with it being a nice place to sleep at the end of the day.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Yeah, I have been pondering a similar deal with a truck bed trailer and camper shell for a while. About all I need is a bunk that will fold against the wall, storage for food and supplies and maybe an awning of some sort in case the weather gets wet. When I go camping, I want to spend time outdoors so some folding chairs beside the fire will work as a kitchen/living room/bar, lol.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Get one of these trailers for like $500, ditch the surge brake axle and crap for a normal axle if you desire.
Less work than building a frame/shit for a truck bed and you can not kill them.

I was also looking at the truck bed route a while back

I almost went with a normal fiberglass top till I found this one. I was just going to make a "riser" all the way around the bed rail to give it a little more head room.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 41063
I've already got a 2WD that we used as a cab donor so it's pretty much a trailer now, I just have to bow in the rails and put a hitch on it. It will pull double duty as an 8' bed to haul whatever won't fit in the Ramcharger and a camping rig for when I decide to camp and not deal with a tent and not want to have to pack up the Ramcharger when I want to go for a ride. I'm too broke to not have everything pull double duty or more, lol.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 51899
Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
well I got it mountedish and cut to what will be its running height. This is as short as I want it as any more and you can't really use it as a "camper" without being a dwarf I'm 6'1", so ya any more is gunna suck
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
I also ditched a shit ton of fatassedness off of it. Inside was mounting racks with a backing plate to keep the shelves from hitting the skin. They were 1.5" wide 1/4" thick steel at 8 feet long this added up quick, I removed 6 of them
I did leave the rectangular tubes as those will be very good for making mounting for storage and also sleeping area.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Then I went and made new mounting surface using the steel I cut off in the first place
I picked up some house flashing and sealed the bottom of the sides, caulked it and screwed it in place. Its also sealed on the inside as well and sloped to keep any water even inside condensation to drain away and OUT
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Then I did some painting
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
ok, I self etching primered all of it (except for the bottom that was still having the sealant dying) and will work on sealing the front tomorow.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 39184
Awesome

The death to tyrannosaurus part.

Cool project

Last edited by WA-HCRC; 10-22-2011 at 07:55 PM.
WA-HCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
questions:

Anyone know a REAL RV/camper junkyard in SoCal and I do not mean the BS google search that pulls up old ass lists that are worthless. I mean eyes on you have seen rv/campers at this yard? (prefer pull my own)

Is there any significant difference between house and RV windows? by this I mean like the short sliding aluminum or vinyl "bathroom" type windows not a fucking bay window reason being is they appear solid and are only $50ea and double pane/insulated.

Looking at my trailer I think it would be best to do an outside mounting for the camper using turnbuckles or other adjustable/solid mounting. anyone see any downside to doing this as I see LOTS of upsides

Old 10-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Looking good, except for that kick in the back, lol. As far as the mounting, how heavy is it? That frame inside looks like it actually has some weight to it, much more than the average aluminum framed shell. Just bolting it down would probably be the most secure, but also a bigger pain in the ass if you want to remove it. You could do a cable/turnbuckle deal on the upper outside corners like an S250 shelter uses but I would still worry about it shifting around on the trailer bed rails. Maybe add some angle iron to hang down on the inside to rest on the inside of the bed rails to keep it from sliding? It might make it a little more of a hassle to remove as it would have to be lifted up a little more to clear the rails to the sides but it would slide straight off the back with no issues. Then whatever method you use to attach it would only need to control it sliding to the rear and keep the shell from bouncing up.

What plans do you have for a door on the rear? I am assuming the shell was just an open rear like the tall worker transport truck shells on some job sites so there probebly was no provision for a door. So what will you fill the space with? Hard shelled door? Canvas flap? Screen or netting?
Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
I am going to make a subframe and SOLID door (not a wussy ass RV door)
It will fill the entire rear an be bolted in for now but will be standalone so that if I make this a pop-up the frame/door will stay with the lower/tub and the outer shell raise with a folding filler panel above the header.

first I have to use the 20T jack and sguare it all up as that was not a major concern with an open back top.

weight: 2 mexicans, 1 Doc-14 and another messican not lifting worth shit were able to get it on my trailer BEFORE I started it on its diet.

its not too bad.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 29037
IIRC the glass in RV windows is safety glass like your car windows

Last edited by bigun; 10-26-2011 at 10:14 AM.
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
oh ya, I think I should just use a roller to paint this

Old 10-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
IIRC the glass in RV windows is safety glass like your car windows
Its funny how you can never find a junk or free rv/trailer/camper when you WANT one

Old 10-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
StinkyFab Racing

Member # 4946
PM Redbulljeep. We bought a ton of stuff for his trailer from an RV salvage place up in Fontana and I know he'll know the name and info for the place. They have EVERYTHING there. Basically 5000 RV's all disassembled and stacked on shelves.

Overall Winner, 2012&13 KOH EMC. Gettin it done in a stocker!
Co-Dog #4432-KOH 2011 #88-KOH 2010, Crew Chief - KOH 2009, 2008
StinkBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 157046
If you're serious about home windows;

They're great and tougher than you think, I have them on my ice shack and they take a fuckin beating. Mine are double pane with argon inbetween and low-e coating on the outside. It's been three years of pulling on the ice every second weekend from mid december to april and they're all fine.

Much, much niced and warmer than rv windows. I can PM you some pics if you're interested, I've used sliders and crank-outs.
xmptsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
should be looking at some RV parts today, found some people parting out

Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Send a message via AIM to APRILRAZZ
http://www.easternmarine.com/Horse-Trailer-Windows/
http://www.sundownerparts.com/.sc/ms...nents--Windows
"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."-Albert Einstein

Last edited by APRILRAZZ; 10-23-2011 at 10:49 AM.
APRILRAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote