Home on the Highway - San Francisco to Ushuaia, Argetina in an 87 4Runner - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 168118
Still getting that driveline chatter, I have tracked it down to the rear driveshaft. Anyone know any driveshaft companies in Austin? I beleive I need to shim up the rear axle to adjust the drivesshaft angle which has been thrown off by my new lift
defrag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Shims are a last resort. If you can find a fab shop that will cut the perch's loose and re-weld them at the correct angle, that would be a much better/more durable fix.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #78 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
If you do shim the perch's, use steel shims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
If you can make wine in a toilet, you can make wine in Texas.
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #79 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 65765
One of the coolest threads/life experiences ever. Thank you for sharing.

Can't help with your driveshaft, but good luck getting it fixed.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 168118
Whats up guys! Merry Christmas! Just got done wheeling for 4 days in Big Bend National Park backcountry, I ended up busting up my rear swingout hitch pin mount, one of my jerry can mounts, and somehow jammed my rear leafspring pack through the corner of my fuel tank, also seem to be leaking a bit of fuel from somewhere around the injector closest to the radiator. (Did I mention I was gettin it!?)

We were planning to cross at Ojinaga but now we are in El Paso, TX where we are camped out in front of 4WheelParts waiting for it to open tomorrow. PLan to buy a new Jerry Can mount in the morning and hopefully find a good fab shop/mechanic in the area to help me with my other issues.

Anyone know somebody in the El Paso area who could help us out? Need a bit of welding and some mechanical help! Thanks fellers
Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #81 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Hate to say it, but you really seem like you could have benefitted from going over the truck and doing a little rebuilding/upgrading BEFORE leaving on this trip - you could probably avoid all of these little issues you're having. What are you guys going to do when you get outside of the US - are you planning on just finding locals to help you everywhere when you break down?

That said it is a great thread, thanks for sharing... Just don't want to see you get stuck somewhere. If you are heading through socal at all anytime after beginning of february, I'd be happy to help with the truck if it has any issues...

Last edited by desertPOS; 12-26-2011 at 10:10 AM.
desertPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 168118
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertPOS View Post
Hate to say it, but you really seem like you could have benefitted from going over the truck and doing a little rebuilding/upgrading BEFORE leaving on this trip - you could probably avoid all of these little issues you're having. What are you guys going to do when you get outside of the US - are you planning on just finding locals to help you everywhere when you break down?

That said it is a great thread, thanks for sharing... Just don't want to see you get stuck somewhere. If you are heading through socal at all anytime after beginning of february, I'd be happy to help with the truck if it has any issues...
I am hard on my truck, stuff breaks, no big deal. We gave her a good going over before we left, but there is only so much prep you can do. She's all fixed up now. And yes I do plan to find locals to help fix my shit but I wont be down SoCal way for a while!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #83 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85972
having everything 100% perfect before leaving doesn't add much to the advenure.

if you were to end up in san diego i'd be down to lend a hand, toyota's are pretty much all i work on all day.

great thread, and great pics, keep them coming.

Authorized Ruffstuff dealer- pm me for pirate discount and free shipping on orders over $100.

ADS Racing Shocks- I can save you money on those too!

Website http://hellfire-fabworks.com/
billybob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 194531
defrag 4....Merry Christmas!.....what did you find with the driveline chatter?
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 49169
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
defrag 4....Merry Christmas!.....what did you find with the driveline chatter?

If I'm reading it right he shoved it through the gas tank.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 111650
This is a great read!! I'm really enjoying the pictures and your love for the adventure!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 168118
My friends, It was getting to the point that we thought we would never actually make it into Mexico. Our journey across the U.S. of A was only supposed to last a month then we were supposed to cross the border to be in Mexico by early December. Well…Christmas came and went and we found ourselves in Big Bend National Park , South Texas. We could actually SEE Mexico across the Rio Grande but we were not yet in it! Oh well, you know how plans go. No regrets! The gods may have wanted us to stay state-side with a seemingly never ending “TO-DO LIST” but our will is strong, we preserved and now we are sitting at a bar looking out over the Sea of Cortez in lovely Mazaltan, MX.

When we last left each other we had just arrived to our good friends and fellow PanAm travelers house “Ruined Adventures” in Ausin, TX. Brenton and I spent most of the week tearing into the truck in what seemed like a never ending battle of fixes while Lauren and Shannon ran all over town tracking down bits and bobs and widdling down our TO-DO list.

Swapping out the CV axle, luckily Brenton had a spare on hand. We almost dropped the truck on our heads a few times but managed to get it swapped out. Quite a pain in the arse!

Ruined Adventures have the best setup for overland preparation, Brenton and Shannon live in a badass warehouse/loft with every tool imaginable to tackle any problems that you can throw at them. Brenton had an extra Hi-Lift too (Think a huge car-jack on crack, used for all kinds of things on the trail) here he is rigging up a mount on our rear swingout to place the unwieldy jack. Thanks to Ruined Adventures for really helping us out on our final prep for the trip.

They are hitting the road on January 29th and will be crusing Baja before shipping over to the mainland, You will definetly be seeing them in future blog posts. You can follow their adventures on their own blog at http://ruinedadventures.com

Thanks a lot guys! See you soon!

Our plan from Austin was to head south to Big Bend National Park, scope it out for a few days and then cross into Mexico at a border called Ojinaga. We hit the road, fixed up and ready for action!

Made it to Big Bend in the middle of the night, not exactly sure where to camp we just drove about 15 miles down some dirt road and pulled off to the side, setup camp and went to sleep… Awoke in the morning to some pissed off park rangers who slapped me with a $175 ticket for “driving off-road”… Our first ticket in almost 2 months, that’s a record for me! Not to be discouraged we went up the rangers office, figured out the deal and secured a permit for a few days of “legal backcountry camping”

Hit the backroads of Big Bend. (I forgot to mention I managed to back into a lightpole somewhere in between Austin and Big Bend, completey fubaring one of our jerry can holders and throwing off the alignment of the bumper and hitchpin, I rigged it up with some bungee cords and kept on trucking, hoping it would hold.)

The Park guide warned us of the “dangerous black gap 4x4 road” the park ranger highly advised we go around the long way around… I pointed to our truck outside and he said “oh.” and that was the end of that. The road wasn’t too treacherous, I didn’t actually need 4x4 at all but high clearance and a truck that can take a good beating was a necessity. I would imagine if it rained and this whole dirt road turned to mud it would be a different story altogether.

....Read more on the blog http://homeonthehighway.com
Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 168118
Hey guys, Things are going good here in Moreilas, MX. We are just about to head out from here up into the mountains to check out the Monarch Butterfly reservations. Apparently there are millions of these guys all over the place up there. From then we are headed to Mexico City!

We have been getting lots of requests on how we actually setup and organized the interior of the truck, This is Laurens department and she just put up a new post on how we manage it. Check it out!

http://homeonthehighway.com/everythi...thing-you-dont

Sleep mode, activate!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 188478
Marfa

The post/picture on your blog about the Prada store in Marfa, TX killed me. I drove past that once with my family and we could not figure it out...that thing is in the middle of NOWHERE!

I came to find out through research that it is actually not a store, but a form modern art.

Trip looks fun, I enjoy keeping up with it. Stay safe and have fun!

Last edited by Hornsfan; 01-10-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Hornsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 168118
Howdy again friends, Its been a while since our last post. Been busy criss-crossing Mexico. When we last left off we were in a beautiful port town on the Pacific Ocean called Mazatlan. Now I am posting from the opposite side of Mexico, sitting on the Gulf of Mexico down near the Isthmus of Mexico. We have traveled over 2000 miles and had many great adventures along the way.

Leaving Mazatlan we cruised down the Pacific Coast for a while, we were enjoying the beach views and fresh mariscos (seafood). We saw a small beach town on the map by the name of San Blas. Drove on down the road to check it out.

The highway cut inland for a while and then curved back to the coast, when we approached the coastline this time the landscape had started to turn into marshland.

We reached San Blas, Mexico and drove right out to the beach, We got there about an hour before sunset, busted out some beers and enjoyed the view.

Another beautiful sunset… We found a little restaurant on the beach and sat down for dinner. The beachside palapa started to fill with acrid smoke, we looked around and noticed all the palapas were belching out this smoke. It smelled a lot like citronella, and within a few seconds we realized why. We were getting eaten ALIVE by no-seeums (tiny biting insects) The restaurants did all they could to quell the flood of fly's but there was no hope. We inhaled our food and made a beeline to the truck. We discussed our options for camping that night and figured if we got out onto the beach into the breeze and setup our bug net we would be OK.

Wrong! We drove out onto the beach, bugs didn’t seem to bad. We setup our bug net around our sleeping area and passed out. Woke up in the middle of the night getting attacked by thousands of no-seeums, turns out they took a meal break and were back for seconds. They were so small they just waltzed right through our net, gave a laugh at our weak protection, and started chomping on our bodies. With not many options we buried our heads under the covers and roughed it out for the night.

When I finally poked my head out from under the covers there were thousands of dead bugs around me and tons more alive flying around my head. I jumped out of the truck and found Lauren on the beach who gave me the “Lets get the HELL outta here look!”

Read more on the blog... http://homeonthehighway.com/cruising...can-coastline/
Old 01-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 168118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornsfan View Post
The post/picture on your blog about the Prada store in Marfa, TX killed me. I drove past that once with my family and we could not figure it out...that thing is in the middle of NOWHERE!

I came to find out through research that it is actually not a store, but a form modern art.

Trip looks fun, I enjoy keeping up with it. Stay safe and have fun!
Ha ya I found it on wikipedia, so random
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 162217
Still following along on your most excellent trip.

and I'm taking credit for the hammock.

OT ftw...but not right now.

Last edited by Ivy Mike; 01-23-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Ivy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #93 (permalink)
Crawlin'BC

Member # 21813
Great topic, thanks for all the updates

Trip of a lifetime for sure
Team Crawlin'BC (Pro-Mod #250)
Driver: Rich Walker

Proud to be working with; Baja North, Jeep Thrills, Crawlin'bc.com, Optic Nerve, Master Pull, Family Glass, 4WD Magazine, and Inner Air Lock

www.crawlinbc.com
www.crawlinbc.com/u-can-2

Find me on Youtube and Twitter
CanadianZuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 13110
Love this... wish I could have done a trip even 1/2 as cool as this when I was younger...

Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 168118
After we got our share of the beach scene we cut inland, Destination: Butterfly Kingdom.

If you haven't guessed by now we are kind of nerds. Back home we had seen a few nature documentaries on the mass migration of the Monarch butterflies. Each year the Monarch butterflies begin a huge southward migration from as far north as Canada all the way south to Mexico. This incredible journey is over 4000 miles and spans generations of Monarchs to reach its completion every year. Millions of butterflies arrive in the Michoacán highland forests of Mexico every year for the winter before turning around and heading back north for the summer. It just so happened we were here during the right months. We had to see it!

As we cut in from the coastline through the states of Jalisco we started encountering some wonderful mountain scenery and idealic farmland. Jalisco is known as the homeland of Tequila and agave farms abound. We also saw a few huge volcanoes.

Morelia is a beautiful Spanish colonial city. They have retained a lot of the architecture from the cities founding back in the 1500’s. We found it to be a wonderful town and spent a few days exploring the city alongside other Mexican tourists. I think we were the only gringos in town.

We then headed to the Monarch Butterfly Reserve. There were so many butterflies you could literally hear them flying around bumping into each other above our heads.

Read more on the blog... http://homeonthehighway.com/morelia-...terfly-reserve
Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 168118
Double Update Goodness!

After experiencing the majesty of the butterfly kingdom we pointed our truck towards another sort of mystical place. Mexico City. Originally we had planned to skip Mexico City due to reports of violence, crime, high traffic, smog etc etc etc. However, during our few weeks traveling the country we have come to realize that 99% of things we had heard about Mexico were bullshit, so we changed our minds and we are glad we did! We ended up spending 5 days in this diverse place and barely began to touch the surface. We also partied our faces off and put a sizable dent in our Mexico budget, well worth it…

We left the highlands of Michoacán and headed towards the mountain-ringed metropolis of Mexico City. Greater Mexico City with its population of <strong>22+ MILLION</strong> is the largest metropolitan area in the western hemisphere and the 2nd largest in the world. This place is DENSE. As we broke through the mountain tree line we saw an endless sea of concrete and buildings. Wow

We had made a friend off the internet who graciously offered to let us stay at his place, arrange us a safe spot for the truck, and be our tourguide for the duration of our visit. Note: I made these arrangements at 9PM the night before our arrival, We were lucky to find such a grand host!

We punched his address into the GPS and drove into the jungle. We tirelessly fought across the city streets making headway towards his barrio (neighborhood). The GPS said it should take 20 minutes to arrive, it ended up taking us around 3 hours. The GPS did not account for 1-way streets, curbs, and the constant reconstruction that takes place on the mean streets of Distrito Federal. Luckily we had mentally prepared ourselves for this and took it in stride, rather enjoying the wild west style of driving in the city. It’s a no-holds barred grudge match, kill or be killed, not for the feint of heart. I loved it.

We eventually arrived at Adrian’s place where he introduced us to his grandma and aunt, showed us our room, and took us to his uncles parking lot where we were able to stash the truck for a few days.

Our Mexico City adventure HQ

Wasting no time, Adrian said lets hit the city! We threw down our stuff and headed out, grabbed a cab, to a bus, bus to a train, and popped out in the middle of downtown Mexico City about 20 minutes later. The public transportation in Mexico City is cheap and reliable, bus ride was 5 pesos and I believe the train was a similar price.

Our first spot to check out was the Monumento a la Revolucion. A gigantic monument in the middle of downtown dedicated to the Mexican Revolution and the heroes who were involved in the movement. There is an elevator to the top and we headed up for a view of the city.

EL Angel

Headed to the bars to cap off our first night in D.F., lots of cool spots and plenty of hip young people out enjoying a night on the town.

and BACON WRAPPED HOTDOGS!!11 (Hotdog guy was not amused with my antics)

Woke up the next morning and headed to the Zocolo, Mexico City’s main historic square. This is where the capital building, cathedral, and Tenochtitlan ruins are located. Fun Facts, Mexico City is built ontop of the capital of the Aztec nation originally constructed in the 12th century. The whole region was once a marshy area with scattered lakes. These lakes were slowly drained and built upon over the centuries. The city is seeing the effects of building on this soft lakebed soil. The entire place is slowly sinking into the ground.

Read more on the blog... http://homeonthehighway.com/adventures-in-mexico-city/
Old 01-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Glad to see your no longer a victim of the US news machine.

Driving in MC should prepare you for the roadway fun farther south......
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #98 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 101125
Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing!
FJCruisin_Wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 207727
I posted this on the website but figured I would put it up here too.

When y'all make it down to Guatemala make sure to stop over in Tikal to see the Mayan ruins there, and also check out Ixpanpajul. Ixpan is basically a bunch of small bridges above, and through, the tops of the jungle. Nothing like hanging out at eye level with the Macaws, Toucans, and Monkeys. Just a word of warning though, the howler monkeys are crazy loud up there lol. They also do zip lines through the jungle, bike and horseback riding through the jungle, and finally night hikes through the jungle. The place really comes alive at night, and if you are very lucky you might even get to listen to the puma's and jaguar's making their hunts.

Actun Kan Caves was pretty cool as well. The Mayan's believed that they were the entrance to the underworld, or Xibalba. They are filled with old Mayan paintings and drawings.

Flores is the only town there near to Tikal and is quite beautiful, not a lot to do there but there are some great bars and really friendly people. I can't remember the name of the bar at the moment, but I will get in touch with my friend and find out. It's been too many years since I lived there myself. The reason why I suggest this place is that you are likely to run into a couple of different Guatemalan's that are great people and would be happy to help y'all out with directions, suggestions, and making sure you get drunk lol. Once I get in touch with him I will post it up and let y'all know.

You may just get lucky in Flores and my friends there may be in their stage for making a run through the jungle on dirt bikes. There is a decent enough trail that will last for about 5 days taking you through virgin jungle on the way to see a few different ruins that only a few get to visit. Mainly you will only find archaeologists there, with almost no tourists.

Also, while you are in Flores you should check out El Mirador. Not the ruins (though they are interesting too), but an overlook of Flores. It should be about a 20 minute boat ride (which you can easily rent right off of the bank at Flores) and then approximately a 1 mile hike up to the top. The view is great, and is usually pretty empty. On your way down stop at the little beach called El Playita for a quick break and a chance to cool down in the water.

Don't forget to take a day to relax (or just an evening) at a place simply called The Waterfalls. Most of the local's can give you directions there, its just a really chill spot that is great to relax in. Nothing like jumping off the waterfalls and exploring the smaller ones. Just make sure to pack your own food as the food there is usually just snack food. If I get a chance I will have to try to upload a few photos so y'all have an idea before you get there and you can budget time accordingly.

On your way out of Peten you will probably want to check out two really cool spots. You will find one that is called Chamuc Champey. It is by far the most beautiful spot for me in all of Guatemala. It is a set of waterfalls that empty one into the other. Makes for some great swimming and good opportunities to take the plunge from 5 meters up!

You might also want to check out a place called Rio Dulce. Right on the ocean with a great feel that is all its own. Grab a boat and head on over to another small town called Livingston to find a pretty amazing culture. In fact, they are a culture that is all their own that can't be tied to anyone else throughout Central America, and the only "Black" race in all of Central America. Great food and friendly people there make for a fun weekend.

It should be about another 4 hours from Rio Dulce down to a town called Antigua. This place is majestic, almost like it was stopped in time. There has been no significant development since the 1700's here. All of the homes, shops, and streets are the same that the Spanish originally built. Antigua is THE tourist spot of Guatemala and because of that they have an amazing expat community that will gladly help you out with any problems, point you in the right direction, and of course make sure that you have a fun night but a painful morning.

Antigua is the party center of Guatemala. Make sure to check out Monoloco just half a block from the square. Great people there and better drinks. Talk to the owners, both very friendly, and in no time you will feel like you are part of the Monoloco family. Ask for a guy named Victor and tell him that Derek from Texas sent you that way. That y'all are in desperate need of one of his famous Absolut and Cranberry shots. If y'all are still up for a little night life make your way over to Reilly's Irish Pub just a few blocks away. Just make sure to get there early because it gets packed and they won't allow more people in. Talk to Heinrich, great guy and the owner of that spot too.

One of the other nice things about Antigua is that it is the jumping off point for just about everything in the area, including Honduras. You can find groups heading out to Tikal, Rio Dulce, Panajachel/Lake Atitlan (another great spot), Xela/Quetzaltenango, Coban/Chemuc Champey, and even as far out as Copan, Honduras. One thing that I would strongly suggest is that you take the bus over to Chichicastenango to experience the market. It only happens twice a week, and almost everything is gone by noon. Make sure that you get there early in the morning so that you can take it all in.

Don't forget to make a day trip up some of the local volcano's while you are in Antigua. Nothing like being allowed to cook your own hot dogs over the lava!

Anyway, sorry this was a bit long but I see so many people make this trip and then skip over what Guatemala has to offer. While I don't live there anymore, Guate will always be my true home (even though I am from US). It's a great place with a lot to do and some wonderful people.
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 168118
THanks Imarhil, I have heard lots of great things about Guatemala, really looking forward to getting out there and exploring