Truck based RVs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
Truck based RVs

I always wondered why you don't see truck chassis based RVs. I guess van bodies being taller in height and shorter in length would be a benefit, but with the downfall of the poor engine accessibility.

Now I come across this locally on CL and it has me wondering, it looks like it could be a factory build. Any ideas? Home built?

With a front diff slung under it and a bump in tire size it would be a pretty neat rig.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/3142589255.html

Last edited by Ebs; 07-21-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
Serro Scotty made those Dodge's, they're awesome! Seen a few that were 4x4. I read that the factory burned down and they never rebuilt.
Shameless Plug: I am a Realtor in SoCal, Inland Empire. My wife is a mortgage loan officer. PM me for info.
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
You got it, I googled the name and there are a few examples of them, good stuff. Looks like they even put out some Dakota based ones (which probably makes them not so desirable ).

Check this old ad from the ih8mud board for a Dakota 4wd one: http://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-tra...motorhome.html

Last edited by Ebs; 07-21-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20739
Send a message via AIM to EarlKann
I've seen the Dakotas as well. Seen a few of those tag axles on the Ram trucks also.

That 94 CTD truck is probably pretty rare. Most of the Ram trucks I see are 92-93. Some are CTD and some gas.
Shameless Plug: I am a Realtor in SoCal, Inland Empire. My wife is a mortgage loan officer. PM me for info.
EarlKann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 129234
Toyota had made 4x4 truck rv's for a little while. Been looking out for one to build. It's on the list for future projects... would look sweet on 35's crossing America.

Last edited by AlexXx; 07-21-2012 at 10:02 PM.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
Toyota had made 4x4 truck rv's for a little while. Been looking out for one to build. It's on the list for future projects... would look sweet on 35's crossing America.

Chinooks are fairly common, 2wds more so, but there's a good number of 4x4s up here.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 29037
I am not sure why you don't see more of them. There is a guy on the IFSJA who found one built on the back of a J. truck, when I was looking to buy there was one built on a 70s Dodge chassis it unfortunately was sold before I was ready to buy. I am going to guess that vans are cheaper to start with
Old 07-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
Holy crap, here is a company builds out current models, these things are sweet (and expensive).

http://www.tigervehicles.com/

That's a dream setup, but doing some web searches it looks like there have been a few builders that put out truck RVs over the years.

Last edited by Ebs; 07-22-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 129234
There's another company, can't think of it right now, that makes 4x4 rv's. They may use other trucks, but when they are not badged as such. I'll have to find it again.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
Yeah, here's some others of the more typical RV size:
http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/moto...otorcoach.html
http://www.bornfreemotorcoach.com/29...Class%20C%20RV

Medium duty truck chassis: http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreport...k-class-c.aspx

Even with 4x4, I have to imagine stuff that size/weight would get a little interesting for any off-pavement, out of the way adventure camping.

Last edited by Ebs; 07-22-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Its nice to see Provan get into the game, decent looking rig for sure.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 215770
scroll to bottom of page for model lineup:

http://www.earthroamer.com/xv-lt/

They are really nice trucks, cool people (at least the ones I met were) and a buddy of mine recently toured the factory and was impressed.

EDIT: there really aren't any smaller truck based campers like the 80's Toyota posted above. Recently attended the Overland Expo and didnt see a single one. With "small" trucks being pretty robust these days, have to wonder why no one is doing that. Something like a Tacoma or a newer Dakota should be fine for that.

Last edited by Flat Black Racing; 07-23-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Flat Black Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black Racing View Post
scroll to bottom of page for model lineup:

http://www.earthroamer.com/xv-lt/

They are really nice trucks, cool people (at least the ones I met were) and a buddy of mine recently toured the factory and was impressed.

EDIT: there really aren't any smaller truck based campers like the 80's Toyota posted above. Recently attended the Overland Expo and didnt see a single one. With "small" trucks being pretty robust these days, have to wonder why no one is doing that. Something like a Tacoma or a newer Dakota should be fine for that.
I wonder what the market demographics are though, the price difference would probably not really be that much, say the difference in the value of the truck, and probably less than 20% for the camper body, that could potentially lead to a Toyota expedition style camper in the $120K range for an optioned out unit. Would people pay $120K for a Toyota based rig that is definitely going to be tight on the space compared to a HD 1.5 ton truck with much more room and some towing capability if required. If you can afford $120K for a Toy you can probably afford $175K too, I pondered that and thought about it from a business perspective (I own a manufacturing company). You would still have to offset the R&D expenses as well as mold or equipment costs, liability, overhead into the cost of the rig, those expenses never really go away in real business. However if there was a really good fiberglass guy with the space and ability to make molds, or a good aluminum fabricator with some facilities and the desire to build a super nice one at home while documenting all the processes so they could be streamlined, it could turn into a business. Effectively the business would need a serious shot of cash to get rolling or even to work into the program of a business that already manufactures these things or a lot of sweat equity.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post

And a Cummins 4BT under the hood so its got good power and range between fuel ups.

Nat
Old 07-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 16790
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
And a Cummins 4BT under the hood so its got good power and range between fuel ups.

Nat
I was in Kelowna last week, saw half a dozen Toyota based older motorhomes cruising around, 3 were Chinooks, most were pretty well used except for one that was pretty shiny, that's the first time I noticed so many of them in one spot, looks to be a bit of a demand building.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 150595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I was in Kelowna last week, saw half a dozen Toyota based older motorhomes cruising around, 3 were Chinooks, most were pretty well used except for one that was pretty shiny, that's the first time I noticed so many of them in one spot, looks to be a bit of a demand building.
I would love to go into the production of a light weight motor home made for our climate. Travel trailers too. Built specifically to customer requirements, like you did for your self.

It will take me till spring before I have got enough tools again since the divorce to continue my build thread.

Nat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.