I've been thinking about adapting this to the roof of my van... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9482
I've been thinking about adapting this to the roof of my van...

This particular shell is selling for $950 obo. That beats the hell out of a Sportsmobile top, doesn't it?

I'm not sure what I'm getting into though. I don't want the whole shell on top of the van, just the tent part of it. I'm definitely going to need help...like hired help.

Can it be made to look cool and not hacked?

Would I be better off going with Sportsmobile (price-wise?)

Has anybody done this? (as I typed that I realize I didn't do a search!)
EMIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9482
OK, I searched! I saw some people had similar ideas but nobody really comparing prices.

Are the Wildernest camper tents pretty good? I'd hate to go through the expense and work to find out they fall apart.
EMIEVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3500
cool idea

i have an old windernest, but i have a 7' mini truck one and its on a custom offroad type trailer. i think it would be sweet on a van, the hardest part would be the spring assembly that is molded into the hinge side runs all the way down to the top of the bedside, so you would have to cut that out of the nest and figure a way to attach it in the van. im probably not making any sense and youve probably had a close enough look at one to see what you would need to do. the room in them is quite impressive, it would be much more roomy than a SM pop top, mine is old and beat to shit but it still functions properly, i say got for it!
dangerous toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 174283
My dad did a camper conversion to a 4x4 Ford van and he adapted a poptop from a VW bus.

But he wasn't satisfied with it so he found a poptop off of a Eurovan

Here's a link to his build thread. It's got some more detailed pics on the installation of the poptop if your interested.
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2650
scoobasteeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
old school idiot

Member # 86194
kinda cool but you will have to stand on bullets back to reach the latch's to open it
51 willys 106" with some fast stuff
retired wheeler
wilez5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 174283
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilez5150 View Post
kinda cool but you will have to stand on bullets back to reach the latch's to open it
That's one reason he switched to the Eurovan poptop, all the latches and hold downs for it were accessed from the inside of the van. The other reason was it was much easier to lift up, the first one was almost a two man job to raise.
scoobasteeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 74581
there was a guy somewhere on here that made a westfalia pop top work on an XJ. def some good fab ideas
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 189895
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilez5150 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobasteeve View Post
That's one reason he switched to the Eurovan poptop, all the latches and hold downs for it were accessed from the inside of the van. The other reason was it was much easier to lift up, the first one was almost a two man job to raise.
All VW/Vanagon/Eurovan's had latches on the inside. None of them came with latches on the outside. Chances are, when they adapted the top. They had to remove the fiberglass where the latch was. I've been into VW Bus's for along time and have never come accross one that had exterior latches. Lifting them up it also quite easy, my wife does it all the time. Trying to close it on the other hand is the hard part. You're trying to pull on 4 garage door springs.

That is a badass van though. That is hopefully going to be the next project of mine.

Last edited by mwstudt; 08-07-2012 at 08:10 AM.
mwstudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 146238
A flippac may work better, but then again it may not. Something that pushes up may work better on a van than folding forward or to the side...

I have a flippac on my Dodge, but I've been thinking about getting one for a mini truck and trying to build it to fit my Jeep TJ. Like you, it would be a lot of fab, but worth it if I could make it work...

www.flippac.com