Pirate 4x4 banner

This European Life: An Open Travelogue

23K views 62 replies 13 participants last post by  FirstRam 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
My name is Miguel, I am 23 years old, a citizen of Spain and within 20 days I shall be starting a solo expedition from the United States to the southernmost tip of Argentina. Being a Mercedes gear-head and striving with a tight budget, I bought a 1981 Mercedes 300TD wagon that I am currently modifying to make expedition-worthy.

Since I graduated college, I started writing a blog called "This European Life", where I narrate my travels and my thoughts on where life takes me. I call it an open travelogue because I do not plan on it NEVER ending, I am always looking to meet fellow travelers wherever I go! So, don't be shy and shoot me a line if you want to meet and talk about rigs and overlanding!

It is an honor to be part of this –VERY SERIOUS- community of offroaders and adventurers, and I hope to meet many of you wherever my wheels take me! I shall also keep my eyes open for the last supplies I need!

Thank you!
-Miguel Llorente

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sounds like quite a trip. If I interpret your drawing correctly it looks like you are planning on carrying a bulk supply of liquid either fuel or water on the roof? I think this would make your rig to top heavy plus having that much liquid moving around on the roof would cause the vehicle to become unbalanced possible causing you at best to slide off the road or worst roll over. I am also curious as to why you chose a 2 wheel drive low slung car as opposed to a 4 wheel drive with better ground clearance and greater weight capacity?

#3 ·
I have definitely changed the design since that first drawing... the storage compartment at the top will now carry my "just-in-case" spare parts and automotive consumables. The fresh water tank will be installed in the former space of the second row seating backrest. Will soon update the blueprints!

I chose the W123 Mercedes-Benz series because...

...it was cheap. Under $1,500 at auction.
...it is the car I know best and have worked the most on.
...spares can be sourced practically anywhere in the world.
...it is absolutely distinctive, original and unique.
...it is very safe and well built, even by today's standards.
...it is TOUGH as nails. The W123 is Africa's taxi!
...it can achieve 27-30mpg's if driven carefully.
...being a diesel, it only relies on compression to run.

My wagon will soon undergo a factory heavy-duty suspension upgrade that will give it enough ground clearance and robust stamina. It's unbeliebable how Mercedes provides parts support, upgrades and accesories for these vehicles... there are even factory roof racks and skid plates available!

And yes, it is not four-wheel-drive, but it is not required in the PanAmerican route unless one goes deep into unpaved trails. Many people have done it before in 2WD cars and have had no problem... having it it would be a BIG plus, but is not a must by any means. Driving in the snow in New England taught me every trick I can squeeze out of these wagons!

#19 ·
There will be an update to the blog very soon. I just opened the Export section for those who would like me to send them some stuff along the way, anything from coffee to car parts. I would like to raise as much money as possible to fund a trip to Cuba and take a look at their classic jalopies, including a mysterious 300SL Gullwing that lies somewhere in the Eastern part of the island...

ThHIS EUROPEAN LIFE: Exports

This may actually turn into a very serious business trip. If I manage to find a buyer (do you know anyone?), I may be able to save it and get it out with enough persistence and maybe some bribes. This thing just cannot sit there and rust to death. There are other treasures that I will document as well, but, for now, I estimate I will need $400-$500 to hop over and stay for enough time and run all over looking for automotive curiosities.

#20 ·
#22 ·
Thank you! I know it is not 4WD, but a different choice nonetheless... and my favorite vehicle of all time! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Long time since the last post! This entry is one I meant to write a long, long way ago; I have been keeping the pictures for the last month and a half, before crossing the Mexican border. Automotive enthusiasts, feast!

THIS EUROPEAN LIFE: Deaming of Home

#24 ·
Alright! Long time since the last post; not much has been happening here at the hostel. I am pretty much confined to the place and I do not have much time to explore around. That will soon change next weekend, as I will take off to continue the route! Expect a special on the Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead) very soon...

...and talking of the dead, well, in today's post I adventure into a notoriously dangerous place where people have been killed at the hands of criminals. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Mercado de Abastos.

THIS EUROPEAN LIFE
ABASTOS: BOCA DEL LOBO

#25 ·
Your a long way from home, if you ever come back to Wichita im only 40 miles away. I think a Mercedes is a good car for what you are doing. I miss my 84 300D Turbo Diesel, so smooth and quiet riding. Good luck on your expedition. If you ever come back I will give you a :beer:

#26 ·
Fellow Kansan! I would be honor to have a cold one with you as soon as I return to the flats! The 300TD is behaving like a champ. Just did a bunch of maintenance on it and it's purring like a kitten.

- - - - - - -

Now, this is a question for everybody following the adventure: would anyone be interested on buying something from Oaxaca before I leave? Especially now in the Day of the Dead (Dia de Muertos) before it ends! I have fulfilled about three orders so far and have one week left...

Here are some things you may like: ceramic skulls, black Oaxacan pottery, folkloric dresses, dried (edible) grasshoppers, marzipans, skull candy, chocolate, dried fruit candies, antiques, figurines...

Send me a PM!

#28 ·
...and now for some shameless self-promotion...

I actually shot a little video today in the food market I like to go to. It's 37 seconds long but it has some cool goodies!

Please take a minute to subscribe/like my facebook page, as it seems to be the only medium where low-quality videos (need to be small!) can be posted without looking out of place! ;)

Departing tomorrow for Chiapas and Yucatán!!!

#29 ·
I am currently writing from a hostel from the overly humid town of Cancún. Today concludes my visit to the Yucatán Peninsula, so I will start writing an article very soon on that. However, for now, I shall narrate the events as they happened on my departure from my two-month work experience in Oaxaca. The trip is alive and well, folks!

THIS EUROPEAN LIFE: The Wonders of Chiapas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.