Pirate 4x4 banner

Tatra 6x6 Adventure / TrialTruck Build

65K views 105 replies 38 participants last post by  czechsix 
#1 ·

This is what I purchased in Czech Republic, couple years ago to form the bases of my build project, initially I wanted an 8x8 but they go for additional $10k, the 6x6 gives up very little in offroad performance, main advantage is trench crossing but gains in maneuverability. You will see many like this on YouTube in Czech S4 class of TruckTrials. This truck essentially an 8x8 missing rear axle, is full time AWD, they were designed to tow a drawbar trailer with up to 120Ton load, that's why it has those concrete blocks in the bed as ballast for traction.
This model only came with 4 dr cab which I don't really need, as the truck seats 3 in the front and will be replaced with 2 dr armored cab as per this below

They are so strong that they do not require any additional roll cages.
Unfortunately the US ports have clamped down on import vehicles and fully enforce the rules which was not the case 7 - 10 years ago. Vehicles have to be pre cleared for import before they be loaded on a ship. This means I cannot use the OE air cooled 19 liter V12 twin turbo engine, I have traded it for road transport to the German port, also I have had those ballast weight removed, some 8+ Tons of it !!!

If your unfamiliar which Tatra Specs here is a brief overview

* AWD 2 speed T case, Center Diff with Locker
* each axle end has its own R&P, with Planetary Hub Reductions & CTI ready
* Full locking Diff's @ each axles
* Independent suspension, walking semi Leafs on front twin steer, Airbags on rear
* 45,000 lbs winch

The truck should land east coast end of June, hope to have back in Bozeman in August

See less See more
#64 · (Edited)

I had 4 straight days off work (good for time, bad on the budget side)
removed 120T towing hook, diesel tanks, brackets, cut off nearly all the unwanted frame brackets. Remove 1 wheel to see how the Hutchinson wheel fits, need to replace all 60 wheel studs as they are not long enough for the alloy wheel, luckily Tatra makes a longer stud which is used on rear axle for dual wheels, this has been added to my long list of parts to order from the CZ.
other wheel issue is that early Tatra use "Stud Mount" V Hutchinson "Pilot mount", so I have to machine the wheels for the locating shim.
Nearly finished cutting off all the unwanted brackets from what
was the platform, when completed all that will remain is the channel rails
and 5th wheel, this will then be used for the "New" to be fabricated flat platform
Bed & ROPS.
The 4 dr cab will be removed and be replaced with a NOS Tatra Terrn0 standard short cab
Newly acquired Detroit Diesel 8v92ta from an Oshkosh HMETT expected to arrive Dec 9th.
this will match the Allison HT740D also from a HMETT, laying out the dims
for the eng/tran combo with the shortest drive shaft I can get away with
will put the front pulley in about the same place as the VVN series Tatra
i.e 300mm further forward than the TP / VT series
To improve approach & departure clearance, I will be shortening rear overhang
by 250mm & front to Terrn0 specs 165mm.
Before Xmas I hope to have all the wiring, air system & winch removed so I can
really successfully access, renovate & paint the driveline & frame.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#72 · (Edited)
8V92ta Engine

I've been super busy with work for last couple of months, in the middle of buying a house so not much in the last 3 months.
Anyway I going to focus on the Engine as this will be a large psychological progression in the project.
The DD 8v92ta I purchased from Gov' auction is a very low hr or made be only break-in hrs use, it was missing some obvious external parts, however I didn't know that some internal parts had been cannibalized until I received it.
I had to remove the top-end & front timing cover and order parts.
[URL=http://s865.photobucket.com/user/sean999r/media/TP24/97F60C66-17E8-41B2-9E93-A9ACF695456D.jpg.html][IMG]

[IMG][URL=http://s865.photobucket.com/user/sean999r/media/Tatra/6C587F09-9CAD-45BB-8D47-31CDA593C83B_1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab218/sean999r/Tatra/6C587F09-9CAD-45BB-8D47-31CDA593C83B_1.jpg

Basically it's missing
Fuel racks, half the head bolts, front cam bearing, starter & alternator

Waiting on parts, should have the timing cover & heads back on next week

#75 ·
Looks like I'll have to dig really deep financially and get it. I just purchased a house and the oilfiled work is falling to pieces so timing is not good.

Should be swapping out rear axle ass' from the Terrn0 6x6 so my TP24 becomes a 8x8 then I have a 4x4 rolling chassis to sale as is or to a turn-key truck

Plan the road trip to pick it up around the end of April

#79 ·
Nice project!! ill be watching..

Ive got access to one of those detroits, ill figure out the spec in the next few days but its got two turbos and a supercharger, low hrs but its been sitting for a while(its the backup engine for a chairlift) if you need anything rare i can grab it for cheap.

#80 ·
Back to the truck, last minute decision after securing use of GN trailer 3Pm Friday started loading the Tatra for transport to my house in Lincoln MT, loading driving through the night then unloading a no brakes 19000lb rolling chassis wasn't easy but got done by 11AM Saturday morning, so now it's sits at its new home where the rebuild will continue. I'm going to have to build a concrete pad then add roof & 1 side as a temp structure.

The week previous I had removed the Tatra 10sp gearbox, after looking at size of gears shafts & bearings realized I could use this for power transmission from the Allison just by keeping it blocked in 10th gear ( 5th high split) = 0.71 OD ratio remove all other unused gears. Problem I found on removal worn out spline engagement between Output shaft of box & Input shaft of TC this was caused by worn & collapsed bearing on both shafts. I will need both shafts and replace all bearings in the box and relevant input bearings of TC

Pics 1st rear of TC PTO for winch 2nd input of TC

Above TC Input Shaft, below Shaft with PTO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.