Pirate 4x4 banner

Tatra 6x6 Adventure / TrialTruck Build

65K views 105 replies 38 participants last post by  czechsix 
#1 ·

This is what I purchased in Czech Republic, couple years ago to form the bases of my build project, initially I wanted an 8x8 but they go for additional $10k, the 6x6 gives up very little in offroad performance, main advantage is trench crossing but gains in maneuverability. You will see many like this on YouTube in Czech S4 class of TruckTrials. This truck essentially an 8x8 missing rear axle, is full time AWD, they were designed to tow a drawbar trailer with up to 120Ton load, that's why it has those concrete blocks in the bed as ballast for traction.
This model only came with 4 dr cab which I don't really need, as the truck seats 3 in the front and will be replaced with 2 dr armored cab as per this below

They are so strong that they do not require any additional roll cages.
Unfortunately the US ports have clamped down on import vehicles and fully enforce the rules which was not the case 7 - 10 years ago. Vehicles have to be pre cleared for import before they be loaded on a ship. This means I cannot use the OE air cooled 19 liter V12 twin turbo engine, I have traded it for road transport to the German port, also I have had those ballast weight removed, some 8+ Tons of it !!!

If your unfamiliar which Tatra Specs here is a brief overview

* AWD 2 speed T case, Center Diff with Locker
* each axle end has its own R&P, with Planetary Hub Reductions & CTI ready
* Full locking Diff's @ each axles
* Independent suspension, walking semi Leafs on front twin steer, Airbags on rear
* 45,000 lbs winch

The truck should land east coast end of June, hope to have back in Bozeman in August

See less See more
#96 ·
Yep, I live in Idaho and worked in ND. Got to drive Montana highways and byways alot. Last summer I got a Benchmark MT Atlas and have done about half the state on dirt roads too because I got very bored of the hi line and the interstates. Planning on taking the family on the MT Dinosaur Trail this summer for a weeks vacation and will have to stop by and check your Tatra out. Lincoln would be my number one choice of towns to move too in MT too.

#97 ·

My personal challenge to this project is the re-power with an Allison auto in place of the Tatra gearbox, the OE setup is a divorced engine with driveshaft between engine & gearbox, as Tatra installed the gearbox direct to the T/case. I will be installing the DD 8V92 with Allison with a short driveshaft to a custom drive plate with UJ yoke
This will keep weight balance close to OE and the DD in same place as the OE V12.

I'm have started the prototype input shaft for the T/case using the old Tatra trans output shaft, it will have to be remade again later with a new shaft as the splines are worn but at least I can prove concept.
Above is the shaft, 2nd pic is the last 10" of it cut off with a 7" cutoff wheel, the splined hub section I have already heated to remove the case hardening so it can be machined in a lathe to except a weld-on 1710 tube yoke, next is to make an aluminum pattern plate of the old trans bolt pattern template so I can get it plasma cut from 0.500" steel plate.
I will be using a the same rear trans output bearing that Tatra used in the output shaft, it's a monster 6317 85x180x41 ball bearing this will require 8" o/d 2" thick steel blank with 3" center hole so I finish machine on a lathe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#98 ·

DD 8V92T now out of the crate, removed pan, checked the massive 2 stage pump & rod bearing, repainting Grey, just a few things left before the beast is fired up for my first time.
Exh' man' - turbo, intake plenum with my custom hi flow blower by-pass system, Injectors, Alternator & Starter

#DetroitDiesel #8V92 #TatraTruck #6x6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.