Pirate 4x4 banner

Tatra 6x6 Adventure / TrialTruck Build

65K views 105 replies 38 participants last post by  czechsix 
#1 ·

This is what I purchased in Czech Republic, couple years ago to form the bases of my build project, initially I wanted an 8x8 but they go for additional $10k, the 6x6 gives up very little in offroad performance, main advantage is trench crossing but gains in maneuverability. You will see many like this on YouTube in Czech S4 class of TruckTrials. This truck essentially an 8x8 missing rear axle, is full time AWD, they were designed to tow a drawbar trailer with up to 120Ton load, that's why it has those concrete blocks in the bed as ballast for traction.
This model only came with 4 dr cab which I don't really need, as the truck seats 3 in the front and will be replaced with 2 dr armored cab as per this below

They are so strong that they do not require any additional roll cages.
Unfortunately the US ports have clamped down on import vehicles and fully enforce the rules which was not the case 7 - 10 years ago. Vehicles have to be pre cleared for import before they be loaded on a ship. This means I cannot use the OE air cooled 19 liter V12 twin turbo engine, I have traded it for road transport to the German port, also I have had those ballast weight removed, some 8+ Tons of it !!!

If your unfamiliar which Tatra Specs here is a brief overview

* AWD 2 speed T case, Center Diff with Locker
* each axle end has its own R&P, with Planetary Hub Reductions & CTI ready
* Full locking Diff's @ each axles
* Independent suspension, walking semi Leafs on front twin steer, Airbags on rear
* 45,000 lbs winch

The truck should land east coast end of June, hope to have back in Bozeman in August

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks, there is only 1 that I am aware of, a T815 8x8 ex mil type VT model, the owner is asking $55k all the other ex mil's are the older T813's I wanted to stay 815 because of the improvements and spares availability.
Mine is not ex mil but I wanted the planetary hubs which are very rare on civilian models but come standard on the TP24 series.

#6 · (Edited)
Sweet! You should get the guys at Dark Horse involved. I'm sure they would love to get their hands all over it.
(If you manage to get a buildable one to Bozeman that is.)

#7 ·
Excuse my lack of certain knowledge but I have know idea who or what Dark Horse is.

Anyway this was taken around 2 weeks ago, engine & ballast removed, looking very sad with its worn out OE paint, only has approx 75k miles on it.
Shipping quote in hand, transport arranged for pick up at US port, submitting booking paperwork this week.

#11 ·
Custom shop in Bozeman, do amazing fab with trucks, cars, race and offroad. On Huffine lane, drop by and talk to Scott one day, even just too look.

Excuse my lack of certain knowledge but I have know idea who or what Dark Horse is.

#9 ·
Import rules, good question.
DOT & NTHSA Rules are exempt for vehicles over 25 years, so when I originally bought it, I new I would have to wait 1 year.
EPA rules are different small vehicles cars & light trucks with gas engines, are exempt at 21 years, but on highway diesels & heavy trucks which the Tatra is under both, means that EPA rules are only exempt for engines & heavy trucks 1970 and older. So even though there are many different trucks which got in the US before that's not the case now. 911 TSA etc has had a lot to do with this.

Regarding ride height, that's all due to the engine, as the ballast was almost center of truck, in TruckTrials they always remove these, and yes the ride height raises but almost equal front to rear.
Armored 2 dr cab will not weigh much more than the 4 dr, once I have installed the re-power engine Detroit Diesel 12V71 with Allison auto, it should all be close to what I need.

Here is really nice TP that was built couple years ago.

#14 ·
Well of course that's the other way !!!
But I quickly dismissed it first the engine would have to be shipped in 2 separate shipments not complete so Hugh $$$$
Then I want POWER, by the time I would have upgraded injectors custom intercoolers & turbos with shipping I'd have around $15k in that engine.
For a third of that I'll have a DD that will make more power. Tatra V12 top out around 550 being air cooled aluminum cyl' heads

#18 ·
T815's you can get anything, they stopped making V10's & 12's a while ago, so that only effects the block all other parts are the same. + there are official parts made in India and copy parts made in China for the S1-2 series, most are probably ok, but pass an the electrical or highly stressed parts. Prices vary China cheap, Tatra CZ made about same as Kenworth or less but remember shipping that's the problem. I plan on flying over later this year buy a small stock order of NOS parts from a military reseller so they are CZ but around 50% of new cost
T813 parts are available but very little is still in production only what it shares with the T148 so your basically dealing with remaining military & factory stock parts so at some point they will run out

#19 ·
Up date!!!
Truck had to be loaded on a "Mafi" trailer because German port would not handle non-runner (engineless) any other way, this increased shipping from $4500 to $7500, they misled though as this did not include US port charges for crane unload off the Mafi trailer $3k + storage waiting for customs clearance & transport out of the port $50/day, customs clearance & import duties $1095 so I will have spent approx $14k to get the Tatra in the USA, fingers crossed should be out of the port 11/6-7 next week

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#22 ·
My transporter is booked to collect tomorrow midday, has to be crane unloaded & transferred Mafi to transport trailer, Stevedores / Union have me on this, otherwise we could of gone in there and just winched it.
As you can see the whole timeline is now around 6 months off, I'm owed around $3400 VAT refund from the dealer, requests are falling on deaf ears, so I'll be going over Mar-Apr time collect my money & go parts shopping, I want to buy another Tatra for spares, but I will have it stripped / disassembled container ship, I think can get that done door to door for 40-50% of what my Tatra cost me

#24 ·
Unfortunately there is not any USA events, but hope to get other like minded people interested as there are plenty of ex military US & euro trucks around . It's going take a lot work to try and get an event going, but I want to try

Breslau, yes that's on my list, they now have couple of events with loose rules, the big rally Black Sea Bulgaria - Breslau Poland

#27 ·
What's the arconym KOH sorry ?
Dakar is only for FIA trucks 2 axles only, and has been out of reach for the privateer for many years.

It will take at least 1 year to get close to how I want it.
Tatra is finally out of the Port and in temporary storage 1 hr east of Baltimore, as soon as I get a shop arranged in MT ( next few weeks ) Then it will be on its final leg of its transcontinental journey.

Should have some sorry looking photos tomorrow, sorry because the truck has been sitting for just over 2 years with worn faded oxidized & partially resprayed OE paint. Soon as it gets in the shop the cabin and rear platform bed will be removed, among many other items

#30 ·

Here is a rare TruckTrials rock section, probably Austria or Germany ?

Below: The Armored Cab I will be replicating based on drawings - photos & measurements. Last photo is from a Rocket Launcher model hence the small windows, the others were former Bridge Layer variants

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.