Pirate 4x4 banner

Ugly Duckling Commando Build

129K views 430 replies 72 participants last post by  JeepsterRob 
#1 · (Edited)
Background: Sam & Lucie have a plan to travel all over the world in this clean 1970 Jeep Cammando they picked up recently.
First, however, they wanted to modernize the drivetrain using parts Sam has been collecting. So, they dropped the rig off at Triple X Traction, in Seaside, CA to have renown fabricator Toby Lavender work his magic.

The goal with this build is to provide a reliable vehicle capable of tackling third-world roads with confidence while providing comfort to Sam and Lucie during the multi-year trek across the globe. An emphasis was placed on using parts that are readily available virtually anywhere they go. As such, Sam insisted on Toyota axles and transfer cases, a stock Chevrolet 4.3L Vortec V6 and the tried and true GM 700R4 transmission. Watch as we combine these stout components under vintage sheet metal over the next few months.

Attachments

See less See more
#277 · (Edited)
I have a little story to tell...
I was going to wait until the Jeepster was all finished to let this cat out of its bag, but... I'm really excited about this and I just can't wait!

I built a Flat Fender for myself many years ago. I had just finished the build and I was shaking it down at Hollister Hills when I met Sam and Lucie. They were there wheeling Slinky, which is also a Flattie and was a very popular rig at the time. It was like meeting a rock star! The mutual respect we had for each others rigs formed a bond that developed into a friendship.

I started my Flat Fender build back in 1999-2000 and the first thing I did was take the Plasma Cutter to the sheet metal. While I was cutting off all the un-needed stuff I discovered a cool feature that is unique to early Flatties. There is a storage compartment under the passenger seat built into the floor and in the front of it is the word "Jeep" embossed. I cut the entire floor out for that build and scrapped it all, but I kept that small piece. I knew some day I would use it on something special. I tossed it way up high on a steel beam on my shop wall and it sat there untouched for about 15 years.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.