Pirate 4x4 banner

Ugly Duckling Commando Build

129K views 430 replies 72 participants last post by  JeepsterRob 
#1 · (Edited)
Background: Sam & Lucie have a plan to travel all over the world in this clean 1970 Jeep Cammando they picked up recently.
First, however, they wanted to modernize the drivetrain using parts Sam has been collecting. So, they dropped the rig off at Triple X Traction, in Seaside, CA to have renown fabricator Toby Lavender work his magic.

The goal with this build is to provide a reliable vehicle capable of tackling third-world roads with confidence while providing comfort to Sam and Lucie during the multi-year trek across the globe. An emphasis was placed on using parts that are readily available virtually anywhere they go. As such, Sam insisted on Toyota axles and transfer cases, a stock Chevrolet 4.3L Vortec V6 and the tried and true GM 700R4 transmission. Watch as we combine these stout components under vintage sheet metal over the next few months.

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
You guys are doing AWESOME!!! I am so excited to see it come together (the right way). When I built Slinky I had no clue what I was doing. So to someone's early comment about Slinky being Booty Fab by today's standards, that is definitely true. It was booty fab by yesterday's standards also :) She's best viewed from a good distance. That's ok though, I am pretty proud that I made a truck with no experience. I have to thank people like Mike Ladd, Ant and fellow POR friends for all the help figuring stuff out that I couldn't.

The goal of the Jeepster is to have a moderately capable rig that is reliable yet tries to retain as much of the original lines as possible. So we are keeping it low slung and minimizing the trimming. Functional simplicity and classic styling. I think by going to Toby that he understands the vision and has the artistic and amazing fabrication skills to pull it off.

I can't wait to see more as the build continues.

-Sam

#33 ·
Oh man, I'm in the process of completely re-doing my '71 Commando for overlanding. What timing:)

I am also going the 4.3L route, I sourced mine from a 2004 silverado. This is my first using a fuel injected engine, I'm having a heck of a time figuring out exactly which "off the shelf" parts to use for my fuel system. I'm in total agreement with the whole "readily available parts" mentality. If I'm 1000miles away from home it would be great to be able to just stop by the local parts store and have the parts on the shelf. Plus in most cases its alot cheaper than buying from places like Summit.

I'll be interested to see how the exhaust manifolds pan out, I was planning on building headers for mine.

Jeepsters were a super solid platform from the factory. Fully boxed frame, outboarded rear springs, 101" wheelbase. Just the right size to be comfortable but capable.

#40 ·
Based on my research, the 4.3L V6 were using on Sam's project came out of a 1987-1991 S-10 or Jimmy.
It has center-bolt valve covers, but lacks the balanced shaft of the 1992 and newer version.

#45 ·
I love the color. There will need to be some painting done but the color is exactly what I want it to remain.

Are you building duplicates of all the custom parts to carry as spares like the power steering pump case and the plunger shaft on the brake booster? It seems like if those were to fail (possible on the pump, not as much on the booster) it would be tough to fix in the boonies.
Great question. Once completed, I will be driving the vehicle as a daily driver to work out any bugs and things found. Before we start making duplicate pieces, I want to see what works and what doesn't.

So far it is coming along awesome. I can't wait until the next installment of progress.

-Sam

#41 ·
TRANSMISSION PROGRESS

This week we had the good folks at Quality Transmission (up the street from us) build a GM 700R4 automatic transmission for this project.
They started with a K case from an AWD Chevy Astro van.
The transmission was outfitted with the Advance Adapters p/n 52-6900 output shaft as part of this kit.
We had it set up without the torque converter lock up for simplicity sake.

Attachments

#43 ·
We want this vehicle to be a simple as possible. Adding a lock-up feature to the transmission in this application would require additional wiring, potentially a vacuum switch and or some type of interface that would control torque converter lockup status. Such added components make the setup more complex and could potentially fail in the middle of nowhere. Without the lockup feature, the major difference is about 200 RPM at highway speeds.

#44 ·
Are you building duplicates of all the custom parts to carry as spares like the power steering pump case and the plunger shaft on the brake booster? It seems like if those were to fail (possible on the pump, not as much on the booster) it would be tough to fix in the boonies.

#46 · (Edited)
Parts like the pump can and brake rod are not wear items and wont just fail so there's no realistic need for duplicates. If the Brake Booster or P/S Pump fails then just transfer the custom rod or custom can to the new ones.
Building and carrying spare parts like that would be like bringing a spare hammer in the tool bag.
Not saying it's a bad idea at all, I just think it's redundant.

#49 ·
I love the booty fab comment. It may look like booty fab, but that thing flat out outwheeled even the high dollar rigs of its time. You can sit in the drivers seat, and Slinky would lean all the way over and still wouldn't roll. What a wheeler. As for Sam;s comment about it being booty fab back then... Sam is a very humble man. He built that whole thing himself with minimal tools and experience. And I have to say he built something that was ahead of its time. For Sam to have Toby Lavender build this new commando, that shows a LOT of faith in Toby's skills. I will be following this build for sure.

Dima

#54 ·
Not much progress in the past few days that look cool in pics, just a lot of mocking up and fingering stuff out.
I got the front spring layout nailed down. IE spring width relative to frame width, fore and aft location and shackle angles.
Here's the Shackles and the frame inserts I made. I'll get them all welded in place in the morning.
I machined the frame inserts so that it will use YJ frame shackle bushings to stay consistent.
Instead of making custom one off shackles, bolts and spacers I worked it out where a standard set of All Pro or Trail Gear Toyota SFA shackles work.

Attachments

#56 · (Edited)
There was a big stock leaf hanger/brace/stupidthingy welded to the inside of the frame right where the upper shackle pivots needed to go, once all that goofy stuff was removed it wasn't too strong so I added a little material.

Attachments

#58 ·
Hahaha... yeah that "stupidthingy"was a torque rod to prevent axle wrap. Toyota copied it and did the same thing on their front axle but it was inboard a little more. When I lifted my Toy and disconnected it, I definitely noticed the difference. It wasn't horribly different, but noticeable.

Nice job. She's looking awesome.

-Sam

#61 ·
Front ride height and wheelbase is set.
Front hangers/bumper mounts are almost finished, just a little more plate work.
The front bumper was just too cool to not re-use it and the fact that it's made from 3/16" made for a really strong frame tie in for the hangers and steering box.
If you look at the first pix you can see there's a stock sheet metal piece that covers the top of the frame right behind the front bumper, I'm going to incorporate that into the winch mount to keep that vintage/retro look.

Attachments

#64 ·
Front hangers are done.
Got the Dual Cases and Trans mocked up so I can design the skid plate/trans mount. The cross member in the pic is temp and the cases will be tucked up quite a bit higher. The dual cases hit the floor so that sheet metal's getting cut out right now and will be re-structured.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.