Pirate 4x4 banner

Ugly Duckling Commando Build

129K views 430 replies 72 participants last post by  JeepsterRob 
#1 · (Edited)
Background: Sam & Lucie have a plan to travel all over the world in this clean 1970 Jeep Cammando they picked up recently.
First, however, they wanted to modernize the drivetrain using parts Sam has been collecting. So, they dropped the rig off at Triple X Traction, in Seaside, CA to have renown fabricator Toby Lavender work his magic.

The goal with this build is to provide a reliable vehicle capable of tackling third-world roads with confidence while providing comfort to Sam and Lucie during the multi-year trek across the globe. An emphasis was placed on using parts that are readily available virtually anywhere they go. As such, Sam insisted on Toyota axles and transfer cases, a stock Chevrolet 4.3L Vortec V6 and the tried and true GM 700R4 transmission. Watch as we combine these stout components under vintage sheet metal over the next few months.

Attachments

See less See more
#181 · (Edited)
Sam had a pair of stock Toyota driveshafts for this project. They were a good start, but of corse needed modifications. The front suspension has a lot more travel than stock Toyota so the front driveshaft didn't have enough useable slip. Here's the new long slip that we use for Toyota driveshafts. You won't find square driveshafts on this rig!

Attachments

#192 · (Edited)
I love reading this build. It's giving me flash backs of the old days of pirate. There is engineering which is uncommon to see, fabrication that is a notch above, out of the box ideas, and good people. It's all too ironic that it's the same people... Only 14 years later.

Nice work. I'll be following along like its 2000 all over again :flipoff2:

#196 ·
Wow. Just wow. That is exactly what I was envisioning (and then a whole lot more).

It's awesome to see how stock the body lines still look, but all tired out with high clearance yet a low stance. It even has that typical Jeepster low butt look. I'm sure that front winch will bring that front end way down once in place.

I love this before and after comparison:

It's funny you say that. I look across the Pirate pages and I don't feel as connected as I used to be. Of course I have been out of the wheeling scene for some time and it has exploded into a completely different beast. My time was back when this was actually the start of the POR club page and we got into text battles, ribbing, and canoe wars on Spider Lake. It's tough to beat that kind of friendship and harassment.

Back in the pre 2000 era, it was awesome to see crazy ideas built into rigs (good and bad). There was a lot of Frankenstein designs and wild ideas of what people thought would work better all while being kept on a modest budget. I'm sure that still goes on, but I think a lot of times it is over shadowed by the current trend of high speed racing designs which is awesome too.

I'm excited to get back into a street / trail rig to travel around the world in one day all while doing it in classic sheet metal style. Hope to run into you on the trails one day to swap old POR days stories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.