Pirate 4x4 banner

firstgen expo cummins

12K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  friskydingo 
#1 ·
so I hope this classifies under expo here.
The truck is used a lot for exploring new parts of alberta\Canada. lots of towing and daily commuter.
I have just resontly gotten it back on the road! ill give you a short story about it.

2013 I got it for a grad present 1992 dodge 5 speed cummins club cab, My dream truck as sad as that sounds! Cab was rotten off, back of the frame was rotten so it was a big project. But took it on anyways.

drove it bout a month and took then..

new front springs, leveld on 35s

I was in school again this time couldent afford much so new stock clutch

drive em hard when ya can right?

lift

broke it

fixing properly

See less See more
#2 ·
built one of these

new one of these suckers

stripped anything good off it and did this

I wont bore you with 2 weeks of body work I did to it

Canada day 2014 I think? this was a few days after. new wheels and tires to

and the best upgrade ever..
NWF cross over

took itself to the scrap yard

#3 ·
2 weeks after it was back together drove 1300 k moved to alberta

paint, mudflats. lots of use

brings us to now. December 12th. truck sat for a year then I just re insured it

and the big reason why i parked the first gen....

made a trip to Calgary today pick up a truck, sell some seats, buy some seats and pick up some old chevy rims and tires...

while fueling up noticed a drip under the front end, leaking diesel.. so gonna give her a good bath Monday and search around for the leak!! hope its miner since this is s fairly new pump.

roads were alittle icy, had the truck way up on the trailer to help stick to the rd

#5 ·
Thanks^^ just installed my 2nd gen dodge seats today!
plans from now are

-new front leafs hopefully soften it up a bit
-new procomp shocks all 4 corners
-steering stabilizers
-thin the rear leaf pack and add some air bags
-rear tracbars
-cutting up a hood building a cowel hood
-mount my 39.5 irocks

drivetrain
-might rotate the 205 tcase this summer
-lockers
-dream is a g56 6 speed
-ppump the engine
-bit more turbo for towing
-headstuds
-rear disks

probably lots im missing but this is sofar what I got planned.
My ultimate plan is to 3 or 4 link the front with coil overs... but that wont be for awhile!

#6 ·
I think 39.5x16.5 x17s look better....

Also been dealing with wiring.... got some second gen dodge seats and when I bolted them down I squished some speaker wires there for my deck quit... many hours searching for that :shaking:

#9 · (Edited)
thanks guys!! im not very high actually, only 4 to 6 inches. kind of a bastard lift. I can always measure it to a stock truck lol

well haven't don't much but I do have some question...
went to go help a guy that slid off the road. went home drove home in4wd was fine! on my way back it made some bad noises front driveshaft u joint broke.
question is how are you guys getting away with lifts and no death wobble and proper shaft angles, I have all brand new steering but no steering shock, the diff is shimmed alittle but any more it just gets death wobble!!:banghead:

#11 ·
Those stupidly wide Bias ply rockers are sure as hell not helping your handling.
What exactly do you mean you have "All brand new steering"? Have you jacked it up and checked the slop in the kingpins? Anything under 4" should not be greatly affecting driveline angles or causing any driving problems.

#13 ·
like it says. everything up front is pretty well brand new, Other then the King pins but of course I have checked them this aint my first rodeo. Yea there alittle wide :flipoff2:

#14 ·
well here we go again. This time for the front shaft iv clearance it a bit :grinpimp: Truck has a loose steering box think that's the last part of the puzzle, and steering shock she will be good.

before

after

found myself a visor after looking for one for 2years

time to try the shaft. no binding yet

#15 ·
Love that shackle fix, crossover steering, and front bumper! Can you tell us a little more about the last two?

Did you do the crossover yourself? Any specs on the design? Did you fab the bumper yourself? Any closeups or details? Wouldn't mind transferring some of your ingenuity over to my Ramcharger!

#17 · (Edited)
Ditch the cv and pull whatever shims you have stacked under the leafs and run 1410 yokes at each end. 1410s give you plenty of clearance, much stronger, one less Ujoint to fail, and only have to carry one spare. The angles are not even remotely close for a cv to run properly. I don't see the reason dodge insisted on using a CV. A steering stabilizer isn't fixing the problem, just masking it.

What you might think is slop in the steering box is more than likely the frame twisting at the box when trying to turn those big ass tires. Time for hydro assist or at the very least box the frame before it cracks if it hasn't already. This is all assuming that you have gotten rid of the rag joint on the steering shaft.

#18 ·
Ditch the cv and pull whatever shims you have stacked under the leafs and run 1410 yokes at each end. 1410s give you plenty of clearance, much stronger, one less Ujoint to fail, and only have to carry one spare. The angles are not even remotely close for a cv to run properly. I don't see the reason dodge insisted on using a CV. A steering stabilizer isn't fixing the problem, just masking it.

What you might think is slop in the steering box is more than likely the frame twisting at the box when trying to turn those big ass . Time for hydro assist or at the very least box the frame before it cracks if it hasn't already. This is all assuming that you have gotten rid of the rag joint on the steering shaft.
I was thinking of going the 1410 rout had a few guys say that now. Or the 2005 and up super duty shaft. I know the steering stabilizer shock masks it but mines fucked anyways may ad well put a good one on. Frame is fine, not cracked just the box is old and loose. Don't have a rag joint in the steering shaft anymore.

#23 ·
1st gen Ctd 4x4 club cab 5speeds are hard to find. New trucks suck, focus more on this one :D

Ive been looking for the exact same truck to do close to the same thing. Keep the updates coming.

#26 ·
well I guess its not all fun and games, parts break, wear out. It is what it is!
Was fun when it lasted lol guess its just another chapter in the build!
in the middle of building another chev mud truck and on my way to going to put a parts truck The 5th trans in the first gen decided it didn't want to put up with my crap anymore.

trailer is should be behind it lol

so I woke up this grump

So now im thinking of running a ford ZF6 behind the 12 valve. Would love to run a 205 behind it. Havent looked into adapters and all that fun stuff yet but I know it has been done.
If anyone has any input on the swap feel free to shoot! im all ears.

Thanks guys

#27 ·
So now im thinking of running a ford ZF6 behind the 12 valve. Would love to run a 205 behind it. Havent looked into adapters and all that fun stuff yet but I know it has been done.
If anyone has any input on the swap feel free to shoot! im all ears.

Thanks guys
are they anything like a zf5? this guy put a 205 behind one, im guessing its of no help but thought id post it just in case

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/34901513-post30.html

#28 · (Edited)
i put a toyota shaft in the front of my cummins first gen that has about a 4" lift after eating two stock shafts, i blew the rear axle and towed home grossing about 17k on the front toy shaft and it held up great.

i put 52" rear chevy leafs up front and 63" chevy leafs in the rear of my first gen cummins and it rides great

#29 ·
i put 52" rear chevy leafs up front and 63" chevy leafs in the rear of my first gen cummins and it rides great
Ive already got 63"s in the back of mine, 52"s are coming up this spring with a front axle swap. Which 52"s did you use, stockers or lift springs? 1/2 ton or 3/4? How much lift did you gain over stock?

#32 ·
What trans?

You still going P-Pump? If you are that means your looking for more than 400hp/800ftlbs which in my mind is more for speed so id look into a built auto trans to keep your turbo(s) spoolin. That stated VE fuels hard down low and 800ftlbs will shred any pickup based 6 speed eventually. Your truck is long enough to go with a FSO6406 and divorced setup. You won't break that fuller. There was a guy making adapters for married fso6406 setup. Wade through 100posts on Cummins forum maybe you'll find it.

If you score a deal on a ford front 60 and zf6 then go for it but the adapter is expensive. I would just run the ford 273(271?) Transfer case then. A Cummins will break a 205 supposedly. Maybe stick with the big chaindrive 241 and 271 units.

#33 ·
If you score a deal on a ford front 60 and zf6 then go for it but the adapter is expensive. I would just run the ford 273(271?) Transfer case then. A Cummins will break a 205 supposedly. Maybe stick with the big chaindrive 241 and 271 units.
The 271 behind the ZF6 is a stout motherfucker. I see no reason whatsoever to replace it with a 205. The 271 has low gearing, holds up like a champ, it's already on the tranny, & it's smooth.

#35 ·
Well after sitting for the past 5ish months waiting for parts and looking for a transmission I found a nv 4500. Orderd the proper bellhousing to run myold clutch.
Put some smaller Lighter tires on, 39.5X13.5 irocks see how they perform. Im thinking of lowering the truck back down close to stock and run a 35 but we will see..

Maybe do the 52 inch chev springs up front. But as of now it is what it is just a driver.
Been building a Toyota in the mean time

Yes everything needsa good clean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.