Audi Project: Expedition Allroad - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia View Post
I would love those! Unfortunately they don't make them in 16", otherwise those would be what I would be getting.
double check. I know they're available in a 16x7
just maybe not at tire rack
Terra - OZ Racing
Old 03-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
double check. I know they're available in a 16x7
just maybe not at tire rack
Terra - OZ Racing
That's what's frustrating, is according to their site, the 16" is only available in 5x100:

The universe is conspiring against me on these!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 146415
A lot of family stuff going on right now, so I haven't been able to really do much lately. Mostly just driving it, and I'm trying to find a cheap set of 4 matching stock sized tires to throw on the stock wheels to run just when I'm driving around town. The more I drive it, the more I'm feeling the power bump from the tune. This thing pulls pretty hard now, and definitely gets off the line quicker than my NA 300ZX.

One thing I did do though, is finally put in the replacement seat I bought.

Out with the old:

I think this is how Shaq drives his cars:

And somehow I forgot to take a picture of the new, non-ripped one. Just picture that seat, but nicer and no rips. /shrug

Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
That's what's frustrating, is according to their site, the 16" is only available in 5x100:

The universe is conspiring against me on these!
well that's just sad
Old 03-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Roof rack time!

It's not the greatest cargo basket of all time, but it was dirt cheap (got a killer deal on it). From reading online it just needs some TLC in preventing rust, and the fit and finish is a little iffy, but I can tell already that it is plenty solid for what I'll need it for. If I hadn't gotten such a ridiculous price on this, I definitely would have gone with a Yakima LoadWarrior instead. If I had paid full retail for this, I would have sent it back for something else. But for what I paid, I can't complain one bit.

Got the extension with the rack, so it came in three sections:

This is the updated version, so it came with these rubber sleeves for where the bars connect together, but there were some issues with fitment that made it just about impossible to put together with them on. I ended up draping a rag over the bar in a few places and whacking it into shape with a dead blow just to get the extension to fit in with the rest of the rack. Like I said, if I had paid retail on this, I wouldn't have even bothered and would have sent it back immediately. Oh well, I eventually got it together without a scratch on it, and skipped the rubber sleeves since they even covered the holes for the screws anyway.

You can see here how poorly everything lines up:

The screws were all self tapping, and since half of them didn't line up correctly, I'm sure the screws took out plenty of the powder coat on the edges going in, not to mention that it was a pain in the ass to even get them to thread. I'll be taking them out tomorrow and sealing everything up tightly with RTV just to be safe -- not that rust is a huge worry here in SoCal anyway, but I'd rather just do it right.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 146415
The whole thing probably weighs ~45 lbs with the extension, but with how big and beefy it feels to carry, it really didn't seem all that heavy for the size of it. Once the clamps were installed and everything lined up, this thing is completely rock solid. I grabbed the top bars and rocked the Audi back and forth pretty much as hard as I could and it didn't budge one bit. I read a lot of reviews that complained about the mounting clamps, but after 5 minutes of tightening, I couldn't imagine them being more solid.

You're not a true mall crawler until you literally take your rig to the mall for poser shots, amiright? Now the question is if I throw a light bar on it, or a row of round lights to match the Hellas on my bumper... Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #82 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22748
I think the round lights would be too tall. I think it would look better if those extruded alum. cross bars could be eliminated for something lower to get the rack closer to the roof line. light bars would look better IMHO, long one across the front and then 4 or 6 inch bars on each side of the back corners. Then you would have good side and backup lighting.

R.I.P. Jason
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GREAT SPIRITS HAVE ALWAYS ENCOUNTERED VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS
-ALBERT EINSTEIN-
#472tellico rally

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[/URL][/COLOR]KJ6IYH
surpip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 86724
curved lightbar.
you could hang it under the rack and fill up the gap between rack and roof.
it would be well protected there, and the roof will keep the glare off the hood.

I have those same style bars for our volvo and they are dumb tall. my brother got some whisper bars for his 535xi and they sit pretty much even with the roof rails.
http://www.whispbar.com/product/rail-bar/

pricey, but they are dead silent.

Last edited by 87manche; 03-30-2017 at 08:15 AM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 86724
your competition

guy on the volvo forum has been building it for a year or so. Takes it out camping and adventuring on the fire roads.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Quote:
your competition

guy on the volvo forum has been building it for a year or so. Takes it out camping and adventuring on the fire roads.
Damn that's awesome! I'll have to check that out
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Do you have a link?
Old 04-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Young Satchel's Adventure-Utility XC70 Build

lots of chit chat. Find the posts with the pictures.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Met a potential buyer for the old engine at my buddy's house where the engine is stored, and while I was there we spent a solid 15 minutes with a random orbital and cleaned up the ugly headlights. Just some buffing compound and two different density pads, and it made a huge difference:

Before:

After:

I'll have to take better shots soon.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 86724
did you coat them with something?
I've had luck keeping them clear with wax after sanding, otherwise they yellow super quick.
Tuned our XC70. Put the computer on it and we now make 12PSI of boost. factory was 6.
we even found ourselves off road while picking up some truck tires.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Quote:
did you coat them with something?
I've had luck keeping them clear with wax after sanding, otherwise they yellow super quick.
Tuned our XC70. Put the computer on it and we now make 12PSI of boost. factory was 6.
we even found ourselves off road while picking up some truck tires.
I'm just going to keep them waxed and see how they fair. I'm gonna give the whole car a solid detail pretty soon as well.

Nice! I bet that was a solid bump up in power. That's the 5 cylinder, right? I've always liked those cars, I wouldn't mind picking one up someday
Old 04-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
I'm just going to keep them waxed and see how they fair. I'm gonna give the whole car a solid detail pretty soon as well.
Nice! I bet that was a solid bump up in power. That's the 5 cylinder, right? I've always liked those cars, I wouldn't mind picking one up someday
Yes, XC70 was a 5 cyl turbo for that generation. Some of the newer ones (2008+?) had a twin turbo 6 cyl (T6) available as an option.

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 86724
yeah it's all 2.5l I5 love.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Submitted my story on the Audi to Jalopnik and they published it! I even got paid for it, crazy world, right?

Here’s Exactly What It Cost To Turn The World's Least Reliable Car Into An Off-Road Beast

I didn't choose the title, BTW.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #94 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 22748
Nice!, i stopped following them due to the overwhelming amount of political BS they were posting leading up to the election, but good for you.

R.I.P. Jason

GREAT SPIRITS HAVE ALWAYS ENCOUNTERED VIOLENT OPPOSITION FROM MEDIOCRE MINDS
-ALBERT EINSTEIN-
#472tellico rally

[/URL][/COLOR]KJ6IYH
surpip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Quote:
Originally Posted by surpip View Post
Nice!, i stopped following them due to the overwhelming amount of political BS they were posting leading up to the election, but good for you.
Thank you! And yeah, that gets a little annoying sometimes.

Cheap light bar time!

Got a few things in the mail yesterday. An Xpel headlight protection film kit, a 30" single row light bar, some bar clamp mounts, and some replacement OEM chrome trim pieces that I bought off a guy on Audizine. If you haven't noticed, I've been missing the chrome trim below my passenger side headlight and it's been bugging the **** out of me, so I finally was able to track down some replacement pieces.

The light bar mounts that came with it are just the worst:

I wanted to mount the bar so it was more streamline with the rack, but that's not really possible with these cheap, awful mounts, so I ordered some better brackets: Universal LED Light Adjustable Mounting Clamps | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

With those I can mount the bar at a better angle than just having it hang straight down from the rack. Annoyingly, the light bar only came with maybe 2-ft of wiring, so I'll need to pick up some supplies to wire it up. I also need to find a decent place to mount a switch panel, as the interior of the Audi is way too nice to just cut some random holes and stick in some cheap switches. At some point I'll get getting some nice switches and a panel from these guys here: https://otrattw.net/home.php

They've got tons of different options and designs that look pretty damn slick, and I can get them with red LED backlighting to match the interior of the Audi:

Old 04-14-2017, 02:40 AM   #96 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 206384
Imho, those wheels look like tuner junk, not offroad at all. Too spindly. Just my $.02, not my car.

Rack looks badass. Watch your mileage though- my dad lost 4mpg when he put one on his Beetle.

How about Xpel film on the headlights? Protect from rocks, and I think it blocks UV. (gonna try that on my wife's car that's badly oxidized, now that I think of it)
Old 04-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 146415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
Imho, those wheels look like tuner junk, not offroad at all. Too spindly. Just my $.02, not my car.
The Sparcos or the Methods? The Sparcos are very much rally style wheels, I'd say.

Quote:
Rack looks badass. Watch your mileage though- my dad lost 4mpg when he put one on his Beetle.

How about Xpel film on the headlights? Protect from rocks, and I think it blocks UV. (gonna try that on my wife's car that's badly oxidized, now that I think of it)
Thanks man! So far it's been maybe ~1mpg or so lost, so not too bad.

Just got the Xpel film a few days ago and will hopefully be installing it this weekend, so I'll let you know how that goes. Apparently they can be a little tricky to install.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #98 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 206384
Quote:
The Sparcos or the Methods? The Sparcos are very much rally style wheels, I'd say.
My ignorance of rally racing is showing- they all look the same to me! But then, I like H1 beadlocks... I actually like the ones on it now- beefy.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:

With those I can mount the bar at a better angle than just having it hang straight down from the rack. Annoyingly, the light bar only came with maybe 2-ft of wiring, so I'll need to pick up some supplies to wire it up. I also need to find a decent place to mount a switch panel, as the interior of the Audi is way too nice to just cut some random holes and stick in some cheap switches. At some point I'll get getting some nice switches and a panel from these guys here: https://otrattw.net/home.php

They've got tons of different options and designs that look pretty damn slick, and I can get them with red LED backlighting to match the interior of the Audi:
Cut by Caschy

that guy might be able to cut an existing panel for your switches, or use one of his center console pieces.

Quote:
My ignorance of rally racing is showing- they all look the same to me! But then, I like H1 beadlocks... I actually like the ones on it now- beefy.
you know those are two different cars right?

Last edited by 87manche; 04-14-2017 at 04:34 PM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #100 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 206384
Not the car you posted- it's got the same little spindly wheels.

I meant the big heavy stockers on his car.

Wheels seem like a bad place to save weight after bolting on a roofrack... On a racer, with a pit crew and trailer, sure.

Although the aftermarket ones might be forged and better engineered. I mostly dislike them aesthetically.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.