Best Expeditin-type vehicle??? - Page 9 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Expedition Vehicles
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #201 (permalink)
tb

Member # 62688
I'd rule out all Ford products, but not by his definition.

Actually, the Earthroamer builds their machines on the F-550 chassis. (Dodge 5500 as well.)

What the hell do they do for spares?

I live in thailand, no parts avaliable for dodge, or ford, or jeep unless you count swapping a toyota engine into any of these rigs as a spare? .. I mean you could get real parts if you dont mind waiting a month or two at least if your in bangkok or one of the other big cities, but get into the hills or jungle and forget, it would be faster to make it yourself.
Have any of you guys run into size issues with these big rigs? lots of very small "roads" here, shared with elephants, chickens, party busses, home made "trucks"
tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #202 (permalink)

Member # 20995
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmog View Post
There is one auto Mog that I know of that I think is in CA somewhere. It is a big truck (U2450) and I believe was a factory prototype.

There is quite a few of these around the world. Mercedes Australia sell them as their biggest mog unless you get a twin rear axle model.
The Australian army also uses locally built models as their medium recovery truck.
Volvo 740 GL;)
roscoFJ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2008, 02:14 AM   #203 (permalink)

Member # 22645
Unless you are touring N.America 90% or more of the vehicles in this thread or worthless.

How many of you who sit here on the net and dream/think about an expedition have been outside the USA? And how many of those who have been outside the USA have been to a 3rd world country? And better yet how many of those people have been way out into those 3rd world countries where tourists don't go? For some reason when I look through this thread and forum I see lot's of yuppie yuppie yuppie.....

Personally I do not feel the word expedition even applies to any trips you can do in the USA. Canada and Alaska, ok sure but the lower 48, ya right! In fact most of you are not even really talking about an expedition, you are talking about touring. Touring is barely a step up from driving around in your motor home visiting National Parks!

Three vehicles fit the bill for a non-N.America expedition....

#1 Toyota, TLC, Hilux, Ect.
#2 LandRover, D90, D110, Ute and possibly Discovery although Disco is bad choice imo
#3 Nissan Patrol, LWB, SWB or Ute

The LR is not a good choice imho because it is a pos.

The Toyotas are a good choice and so is the Nissan Patrol. Both are sold in at least 70% of the world. The only reason the Patrol is not mentioned anywhere in this forum is because it is not sold in the USA. In many countries the Patrol and the TLC are the only 4wd worth a shit.

What is important on an expedition....? Creature comforts? Not really. How fast it goes down the road? Nope not important. How well your kids stay entertained on the trip? Ya ok, take their X-box and DVD player so they can rot their brains on the road!

You drive across South America or Africa or Asia what is important?

#1 security
#2 availibility of parts
#3 easy to work on
#4 range of vehicle
#5 ability to carry enough gear to be self sufficient for at least 2 weeks at a time.

If those are not your top five important things when planning an expedition you should not even think about going. A modern computerized vehicle is going to do one thing on a REAL expedition....make the trip one big huge hassle which will likely never even get completed. And hey I am just talking trucks...you have a whole bunch of other things to consider like your health and if you are are healthy enough to do a expedition. Good luck finding a big mac in the Sudan!

What are you going to do when you pull up to a road block in Colombia in a Unimog and the guerillas take your truck at gun point? Buy your way out of it!? Ya right...you be lucky to get out alive, forget about your $100,000 truck. Granted they may do the same thing if you drive a Troopie but at least your chances are better that they won't want your truck. How about the war torn African countries? Ya your F550 custom touring van is a real good choice for that! Better yet do it in a Jeep or Hummer! LOL, that is just down right funny! Or pick any other 3rd/2nd world country where they will see your expensive truck and your white skin and take you for everything without a second thought!

It was already suggested....but I will suggest it too.

Read this book,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../reinvented-20

in fact instead of sitting here on your ass dreaming about some $50k+ yuppie mobile you want to drive around the world in....go read some books! And then take some trips outside the USA to 3rd world countries. I am not talking about taking a trip to sit on a beach in Rio, I am talking get out there into the rural areas in a 3rd world country where they don't see American tourists. That is where you will be driving through so you best know what to expect. After that come back here and tell us about how a Unimog or some custom pos Ford is the best truck to take around the world!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #204 (permalink)

Member # 84172
Im not into expidition vehicle much but my dad is. And i agree with the gentleman above and that if you take unimog to africa your getting it taken from you. But I also believe that its all about where your going. The toy, land rovers, nissians would be great for those 3rd world contries but if someone was going to European countries and Asian areas you might get away with unimogs and exspensive rigs. To me its much like wheelin in the US. you build your rigs for the terrain you want to rid on. Just my $.02
BENNY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #205 (permalink)

Member # 41063
While I agree with some of what is said above, I think if you are stupid enough to drive into a war zone, you deserve to be shot. Natural selection. I don't think anyone here is suggesting that you take one of these vehicles into backwoods Colombia or Somalia. In a world where they cancel the entire Dakar Rally due to security concerns, it's no shame not to go into hell for an "expedition". I don't think many here that dream of a expedition type vehicle have the means to ship their vehicle overseas and if they did, they are probably thinking more about the Australian Outback than places that are quite obviously on the State Department's "do not go" list. In my mind, an expedition vehicle does not have to be taken on the Camel Trophy or have parts available at Mogu's Parts Shack to be viable, it simply has to be self sufficient for the trip planned. Maybe their trip will take them to the Badlands in South Dakota or the Northern reaches of Canada and Alaska, which for all intents and purposes might as well be the moon compared to what most are used to.

You don't have to go around the world to go on an "expedition". There are plenty of areas on our own continent that will test your vehicle and survival skills. Also, just because a vehicle was not sold in another country, does not make it a bad choice. Many vehicles can pack in their own parts and be self sufficient and not require outside help. Also, many US Military vehicles are in use around the world or the domestic copies and it's very easy to get parts for them. A lot of us probably followed the articles on the Turtle Expedition's travels and dream of similar things. I doubt very seriously that they intended to find Ford Super Duty parts in Siberia, so they planned accordingly and were successful.

In short, it's how you define the word "expedition". Since very few square footage of the planet haven't been explored, there isn't much need for expeditions in the classical sense. There are plenty of relief efforts going on around the world if you want to take part in that sort of expedition, but I think the Red Cross would do a much better job of it. I feel that if it's something more than a vacation trip and has an element of danger and being out of touch with civilization for a time that it can be considered an expedition. The vehicle chosen for this is up to the persons involved and should be able to perform the job intended and be able to deal with the usual breakdowns and emergencies.

Just my .02

Last edited by Elwenil; 06-18-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Elwenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #206 (permalink)

Member # 22645
I agree with both of you guys...and didn't mean to come off as a hard ass close mind person on the subject at hand.

More to the point though an "expedition" is just that. While the dictionary has a broad meaning to the word and yes it uses the classical definition it still has the same basic meaning. In my mind "expedition" means travel to a remote and dangerous place where you can be in harms way from weather, war, hostile anti-freedom loving people, hostile enviroment (snakes, spiders) and so forth. You have little chance of rescue if you get in trouble, such as climbing a mountain in the South America. Yes the mountain has been climbed before but it is still a dangerous adventure not often done by people. Or say traveling way up the Amazon basin far from the world we know, that is an expedition. Driving your truck 100 miles out into the South Western American desert to me is hardly an expedition. That is an camping trip also known as touring. Can you die out there in the USA desert, sure but you would have to be on the stupid side for that to happen. Much higher chance of serious illness or death happening in BFE Africa than BFE USA.

Perhaps I just have spent to much time around Aussies who themselves use the word touring much more than we do. You could argue that many trips in Australia would be an expedition but ya know I have never heard an Aussie call it that. They call it touring. In fact they set up trucks for touring, such as for Simpson Desert trips. Ya know, a fridge in the truck, air system, water system, roof camping tent, sand ladders, several spare tires. That is a touring set up and while the line between touring and expedition is a fine line I can clearly see the line. Driving to the tip of South America from the USA is definately not touring and is what should be considered an expedition. There is a difference and while preparing for each is similar it is not the same.

Don't get me wrong...I love touring type trucks. The Aussies have some seriously sweet TLCs, Patrols and LR's set up for touring. I would love to have one myself but to me it is just not the same thing as an actual expedition vehicle. I have been to Oz myself and done some touring type trips. It is really awesome but you still have a somewhat safe feeling unlike if you drive across Africa. I have also been deep in third world countries in South America, Colombia included. It is not what you might think but you still have to know wtf you are doing and where you are going. Or ya you will get in trouble. I myself like to go places the State Department says do not go to. That makes a trip an adventure. Sitting on a beach in the Bahamas is also sweet but not the same kind of trip. See where I am going with this? One type of trip is a potentially dangerous adventure while the other is much more just a vacation.

I do know about the Turtle Expedition's and their success. They did do well and plan it right. Correct me if I am wrong though...they didn't drive across Africa, the Middle East, Asia, South America or Australia. So while I agree it was a successful expedition in a USA made truck it was a rather light expedition compared to what some people are doing.

You all call it whatever you like. But in my honest opinion this forum would be much better named "Touring Vehicles."
Old 06-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #207 (permalink)

Member # 41063
I see your point and I guess we are looking at the same thing from different sides of it. But regardless of our opinions it really boils down to the individual, what they desire to do and what they have available to them. You have to admit that even by your description of the Aussie touring trucks that they do have a lot in common with a more hard core expedition type vehicle. Also, to someone who lives in a rural area outside a big city driving up the Alaskan Pipeline is as much an expedition to them as trucking across the Darfur Region would be to you. Still there are probably those out there that would think we are all crazy for taking a vehicle at all when you can hike it. I think it depends on your level of experience and desire as to what it all means to an individual. I don't think anyone would suggest someone go to the African Continent for their first "expedition" when all of their experience consists of the local KOA campgrounds, lol. Perhaps expedition and touring are two completely different things to the experienced, but to most, they are about the destination more than what it's called. For me, I suppose I will probably stick with touring or "light expedition" since my dreams will always exceed my means.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #208 (permalink)

Member # 88705
Give me a:

1983 Toyota 4x4, Short box, Fully loaded, in Showroom condition

Mods:

POR15 on everything
A Camperette or box tent(pop up)
ARB Lockers front and rear
2" Downey springs, Bilstein shocks
31" MT/R's
Marlin bumpers and a hi-lift
Warn M8000
Deep cycle battery x2

Think id be pretty with that.
Syncros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #209 (permalink)

Member # 1479
I think it's pointless to get into the whole "expedition vs. camping/touring/whatever" because everyone's view point and experiences will be different.

The purpose of MY thread here was to get ideas on a vehicle that would be able to carry 2 adults and 2-3 children comfortably for long periods of time in both smooth highway conditions and also rougher terrain.

As for safety, how do you keep safe in a guerilla controlled area?
Do you have blackhawk helicopters and gun ships along with 100 or more green berets as a support part of your expedition?
Going into war-torn regions is not smart, you are just begging for something bad to happen.
And for me, travelling with my family, i will be steering very far away from those areas of the world.

I have been to areas in Brazil that most people would consider unsafe, but there wasn't a war going on or anything. Not an official war anyway, a couple weeks before i arriced in Sao Paulo some "employees" of a drug cartel shot up a bus full of tourists going to a beach in Rio. So maybe that beach wasn't quite as safe as you might think RMP&O.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #210 (permalink)

Member # 37899
Define it however you want.....I love this thread/forum, I personally don't give a rats ass what your trek intails. I build mostly for extended hunting trips(some fishing). I like the ideas that are shared in forums like this. I go deep in the North woods and far into Canada which requires some smart prep. I will see no war, but I will be self reliant...My only true dangers are the elements and illness(injury). We have harvested Deer, Moose, and Bear in some very remote strecthes that require as much planning as any military exercise I have been on.

I can get behind the touring label but I think no matter the name we all have a common ground in here no matter the destination.

As for a rural homebody having troubles on an Alaskan trek??? I have to wonder if you were thinking suburbanite. I live in a rural area in a state thats credited with more guns per capita than anywhere in the U.S. I doubt you could throw anything in North America that could shake good ole boy up here....I take that back...I bet the desert might make them a tad nervous.
04 Durango(wifes)
Chainlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #211 (permalink)

Member # 33536
i say this with the utmost respect for the people who have done it, but what the hell is the motivation for travelling around the world to visit war torn, corrupt, military dictator controlled, shit hole third world countries hoping that you make it out alive with most of your stuff??

Why would you want to do that, nothing is that important or cool to see to put up with all that shit.. Maybe you see something that most people never will or brag that you have seen 50 countries or whatever...

theft, corruption, violence, unsanitary conditions, language and customs barriers, safety, legal issues, time (i have heard stories of WEEKS to cross a border or receive a shipping container at a port), food, and the list goes on... i am not saying dont be adventurous or try anything new, just never understood the whole, i want to travel through shitty second and third world countries for months on end, living out of my Toyota Land Cruiser crowd.

Not trying to piss in any one's Cherrios, just dont get it, sorry.

Last edited by 85blue4runner; 06-18-2008 at 07:03 PM.
85blue4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #212 (permalink)

Member # 41063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainlink View Post
As for a rural homebody having troubles on an Alaskan trek??? I have to wonder if you were thinking suburbanite. I live in a rural area in a state thats credited with more guns per capita than anywhere in the U.S. I doubt you could throw anything in North America that could shake good ole boy up here....I take that back...I bet the desert might make them a tad nervous.
Nah, I was think more about people like live near me, which are typically redneck and have plenty of "down home sense" but would definitely be out of their element in a near arctic environment. I would expect them to survive to a certain extent, but my point was that a trip of that nature would be quite a thing to experience (keep in mind we live in Virginia), while someone with expedition experience in Central or South America or other exotic locations might consider it a lame destination.

Last edited by Elwenil; 06-18-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Elwenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #213 (permalink)

Member # 88705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85blue4runner View Post
i say this with the utmost respect for the people who have done it, but what the hell is the motivation for travelling around the world to visit war torn, corrupt, military dictator controlled, shit hole third world countries hoping that you make it out alive with most of your stuff??

Why would you want to do that, nothing is that important or cool to see to put up with all that shit.. Maybe you see something that most people never will or brag that you have seen 50 countries or whatever...

theft, corruption, violence, unsanitary conditions, language and customs barriers, safety, legal issues, time (i have heard stories of WEEKS to cross a border or receive a shipping container at a port), food, and the list goes on... i am not saying dont be adventurous or try anything new, just never understood the whole, i want to travel through shitty second and third world countries for months on end, living out of my Toyota Land Cruiser crowd.

Not trying to piss in any one's Cherrios, just dont get it, sorry.
Ahh no one said you ahve to get into it that much, I dont even have to leave the Island I live on to find "adventures" to go on, theres endless dirtroads here from logging, skidder trails and overgrown/washed out roads too and of course 4x4 trails.
Syncros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #214 (permalink)

Member # 37899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Nah, I was think more about people like live near me, which are typically redneck and have plenty of "down home sense" but would definitely be out of their element in a near arctic environment. I would expect them to survive to a certain extent, but my point was that a trip of that nature would be quite a thing to experience (keep in mind we live in Virginia), while someone with expedition experience in Central or South America or other exotic locations might consider it a lame destination.
I don't consider by any means Alaska lame....anywhere can be good. I was born in the South and raised in winters in North and summers in South.....the extremes on both ends frigging cold and scorching dang hot. I think both hold as many dangers....heat stroke can get the most hearty, and hypothermia is a sneaky son of a ...well you get the idea.

I guess I was giving down home sense more credit...no worries. Where I live now I am considered to most a redneck.....but just a few miles away I am considered a college boy lol. I guess hunting, harvesting, butchering, and eating my own meat makes me a redneck. But then again I did drop out of college and high school. I know that seems weird to have college and be a HS drop out. HS dumped for Army, had to get a waiver because at the time had to have HS diploma...college was later and I wanted to earn more than learn. Although while earning I put my wife through school and now shes my sugar momma
04 Durango(wifes)
Chainlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:16 AM   #215 (permalink)

Member # 75648
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP&O View Post
hostile enviroment (snakes, spiders) and so forth. . . .
So I guess my yard is a "Expedition" canidate I could drive my Toyota "Ute" there too Your post deffintly make you look a Im-super-cool-Expo-world-travler-guy-who-is-schooling-abunch-of-damn-Americans-asshat.

If I tell any of my family that Im taking my sons "Touring in our Ute" theyll think that Im going to see the Statue of Liberty in a Surbaban. If I tell them were are taking the Tacoma on a Expedition theyll know whats up.

When I drive(and live out of) my rig for two-four weeks (500-3,000 miles) and am off the hardball for 90% time, Im going to call it an Expedition

When the kids get older, and the rig is more broken in, Id love to take it South, but untill then, I guess Im stuck Exploring the National Forrest with 35"s and lockers

:::oh yeah, Ive been to 3rd world countries and have been shot at (and returned fire ), and they both sucked balls.
If you are dieing for some adventure, Google "Force Recon" and sign up.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #216 (permalink)

Member # 22645
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachedOutOffRoad View Post
So I guess my yard is a "Expedition" canidate I could drive my Toyota "Ute" there too Your post deffintly make you look a Im-super-cool-Expo-world-travler-guy-who-is-schooling-abunch-of-damn-Americans-asshat.

If I tell any of my family that Im taking my sons "Touring in our Ute" theyll think that Im going to see the Statue of Liberty in a Surbaban. If I tell them were are taking the Tacoma on a Expedition theyll know whats up.

When I drive(and live out of) my rig for two-four weeks (500-3,000 miles) and am off the hardball for 90% time, Im going to call it an Expedition

When the kids get older, and the rig is more broken in, Id love to take it South, but untill then, I guess Im stuck Exploring the National Forrest with 35"s and lockers

:::oh yeah, Ive been to 3rd world countries and have been shot at (and returned fire ), and they both sucked balls.
If you are dieing for some adventure, Google "Force Recon" and sign up.
One opinion to another....that is what makes us free! I would call you a redneck but who is more of a redneck...the guy living in Wyoming or the guy living in Alabama!?

You take your kids and truck on a road trip to Badlands, Moab and back home then call it an expedition. Fine but I will still call it a road trip to do some wheeling and think you are confused with a strange sense of the word expedition.

If you think my idea of fun is going to a war torn country and getting shot at most of what I posted above went right over your head. If all you have done is shoot at people and get shot at in that part of the world then you wouldn't have any idea why I like to go to the out of the way dangerous places.

I didn't mention what type of 4x4 I have, how many I have or what size tires I run or where I take it. Don't feel the need to flex my epeen! You call it w/e you like but in reality it is 4x4 camping which comes in many forms. Ya know what? I think that is hella cool too and enjoy it a lot myself. Rock crawling, muddin', dirt tracks, river bottoms, deep fording, long off-road camping trips, touring and expeditions....I like it all and think it is all fun/cool. But I clearly know the difference for each and how vehicles are set up for specific things. In the USA rock crawling is the big thing, in parts of Europe and Russia it is winch comps in rough muddy deep water terrain such as Ladoga Trophy or the Croatia Trophy, in Oz it is usually a mix of all such as in the Outback Challenge or Tuff Truck and in Indonesia it is you and your truck vs the rain forest. All are different, all use different types of rigs set up different ways for specific things. Oh f*ck it I am not going to try and prove any more points!!

Buying a Rubicon and an offroad camping trailer, lifting it 4" and fitting a winch hardly makes a truck an "expedition" vehicle. I was simply stating my opinion, trying to prove a point and knew at least one (or several) post like yours would be the response to mine.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #217 (permalink)

Member # 75648
What I have learned here is that you are an internet a-hole

Its just like when the races call their rigs "cars." I think they are the exact opposite But I dont go in and tell them that "cars" are 2wd DD and in England they have these cool one seater that blow you while you are driving. NO! I just shake my head and call my truck a truck

::::back to webwheeling

Last edited by TachedOutOffRoad; 06-23-2008 at 09:39 AM.
TachedOutOffRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #218 (permalink)

Member # 29450
http://www.globalxvehicles.com/
dukguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #219 (permalink)

Member # 70629
This is going to miss on a couple of criteria, won't hold a family of 5 and its two wheel drive.

VW Thing.

I helped my wifes brothers (2) build an expedition/touring rig. I forget everything we did to it, remember beefing the belly pan, best shocks we could find, off road lights... then we worked it as hard as we could in the Red Desert, sand, mud, rocks, heat, cold and wind. We broke some stuff and improved it when we could. I'm still amazed at the roads and off road that little rig could handle.

With the windshield folded down we crated it and all camping gear, then shipped it to Moroco. They spent 3 or 4 weeks in Moroco and were about to cross into Liberia when the Gulf War broke out and they were advised to stay out of Liberia. The plan was to get as far south as the little thing would carry them but they had to change plans and ended up in Ireland where they shipped the Thing back home. It eventually was abandoned in NY City after most of the parts were striped by vandals.

They tell a funny story about spinning a bearing, hiring a deaf mute mechanic
yet my engineer BL insisted on read him the shop manual, when he got to the part that says "Don't force bearing" the mechanic whacked it with a 5 pound brass mallet, it worked flawlessly for the next two years.

Thats one way to do expedition's on the cheap.
slypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #220 (permalink)

Member # 15518
I'd go with a FUSO.
czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #221 (permalink)

Member # 15518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmog View Post
There is one auto Mog that I know of that I think is in CA somewhere. It is a big truck (U2450) and I believe was a factory prototype.

Yep, he lives real close to me. Semi-factory prototype, in that it was one of the test TwinDisc trucks. Really nice rig, but biiiiiiiig. Still, fun to go camping and wheeling with him, nice to see it on some trails.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #222 (permalink)

Member # 86041
I think a better question is what would make a good expedition vehicle, rather than which would make one.

I live In Panama a few hours from the Darien Gap. I've never tried to cross it, Don't plan to anytime soon. Too many FARC rebels on the other side with big guns.

But i do know what works down here when you are a few days from home in the middle of the jungle.
1. Electronic controlled engines WILL FAIL. Its just a matter of when.
It usually happens during a river crossing as your truck gets washed downstream. Your engine floods and your computer or some other of its 100 sensors buys it. If your lucky it will start and you'll be able to limp home. If not, hopefully you carry spares. A friend that rides with us has a fuel inyected motor, and he carries every single component in the system as a spare.
2. I prefer Mechanical diesel inyection. They can keep running underwater as long as its vented right and the intake keeps out of the water.(SNORKEL) A turbo helps on power for those muddy hills. but not essential if geared right.
Gas engines can be made to run underwater but they are a lot harder to setup.
3. Take spare everything. Out in the middle of the jungle you are not going to buy a u-joint or a birfield. Take Air, Oil and Fuel filters. Along with spare driveshafts, Axles ect... Spare tires are also necesary, cause they may not sell your size tire in every country you visit.
4. Winches. Mechanicals and hydraulic work great as long as your engine keeps running. Electrical winches work great but you need to tale Spare solenoids, motors ect.. They always fail when you most need them.
If you run alone, you should have 2 winches, Front and back. And at least double the pulling weight of your vehicle. You'd be suprised how handy a rear winch is when your hanging off the end of a cliff on the road that just washed out.
5.Manual transmision. They can be pushstarted. They can keep driving even with one or two gears destroyed. They keep working even full of water.
Then again if your starter fails, then put on a spare.
But if you batteries goes out. You better push start it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSoSe-pPJIs
Same goes for the transfer case. Get one with a lever, Not a button. For the same reason as # 1.
6. Solid Axles. IFS works on light weight vehicles, but don't live long on a heavy truck. Try finding a balljoint in the middle of the desert. Better yet, Try changing one. You'll learn how effective a hammer and a chisel can be.
Solid axle steering components last 2 to 3 times longer than IFS.
7. Weight/Size. I'd try to keep under 10,000 lbs. I wheel at 8000lbs right now, and need 42's to keep from sinking too bad in soft terrain.
If you too heavy you might not make it past these.

Otherwise, stay on the road and avoid narrow trails.

I'm sure ther is alot more stuff, but i feel these are the most relevant.
If you need a new vehicle for this. I would go with a 70 series Land Cruiser troopy. 1HZ engine, 5 speed. Snorkel. Winches.
This one has already been to africa, North America, Central America and is currrently going through south america.

He stopped at my shop to install a turbo so he could make it up the Andes mountains. Shortly after shipping the truck to Columbia, He drove into a flooded ditch and flooded the entire truck. All his electronics were shot, But the engine kept running and he could drive to the next city for repairs.

The Nissan Patrol with the 4.2L diesel 5 speed would be another good choice.
These trucks are all mecanical and are super tough.

I'd personally get a used truck. More variety with old style diesel inyeccion.
Maybe a One ton truck with beefed axles. 37" tires lockers. And a mechanical Cummins 6bt or a 7.3 idi with turbo International. Either with a 5 speed and 3:1 transfercase. Front and rear winches. And all the spares you could posibly imagine. Wait, I already have that truck...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqyWY...eature=related

Put a Shell on the bed and a folding camper on top and your set to go.
But then again Expeditions is not my thing. I'd rather do 2 to 3 days tops.

1994 F350 IDI Turbo Diesel, 43's, 4:88's, BW1356, ARB's F&R, Propane, 16.5 F Winch, 12K R Winch.
redstang410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #223 (permalink)

Member # 29634
What do you do down there that they pay you so well that it makes it worth it? Or do you actually enjoy it. Looks like you guys have fun.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #224 (permalink)

Member # 29634
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
Yep, he lives real close to me. Semi-factory prototype, in that it was one of the test TwinDisc trucks. Really nice rig, but biiiiiiiig. Still, fun to go camping and wheeling with him, nice to see it on some trails.
Just caught that. TwinDiscs? 4 wheel disc or what?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #225 (permalink)

Member # 15518
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsub View Post
Just caught that. TwinDiscs? 4 wheel disc or what?
Twindisc (was?) a company that had a semi-automatic tranny offering, along with a line of heavy duty automatic trannies. Mostly for offroad earthmovers, etc, but they started to get into the more unique vehicles. So they imported a few Unimogs, some Tatra trucks, etc, and fitted them with their own trannies. They never managed to take off though, not to mention this was quite a few years ago. Neat product, but way expensive. Company was located in Florida from what I can recall, or maybe that was where the work on the 'mogs was done. I seem to remember there being two of these prototype trucks out there, too......

So, anyway, TwinDisc was the name of their tranny.