Pirate 4x4 banner

Lets see your expedition rigs!

3M views 2K replies 799 participants last post by  Refmech 
#1 · (Edited)
Title says it all, lets see what you got! This isn't mine, i'd like to build an m715 someday, anyways i think this one is awesome :smokin:

See less See more
#332 ·
I expect to see more conversion vans/suburbans or tow behind trailers, things like this. I think it would be pretty badass to take the top off of a 1st gen 4runner and build a camper top for it.

#333 ·
I just went with a Suburban for an expo type vehicle, admittedly, it will never leave the States, or even probably East of the Miss., but it will haul my crew and gear for a couple weeks stay and do it with comfort and finesse missing in my 4runner.

#338 ·
My eventual plan for my "junior expedition vehicle" is to use a truck bed and chassis as the basis of my trailer to carry extra gear, supplies, fuel and as a mobile camper with the shell on, much like the Bronco a few pages back. With the Ramcharger's 35 Gal tank and two 28 Gal saddle tanks on the trailer, I should have a decent cruising range and a gas bill equal to the national deficit.

#340 ·
this should be added as a sticky to the top of the thread.

when quoting someone, could people please not repost their pictures. no one wants to scroll through an entire page to see the same photo three times. especially if you have a crappy internet connect. it's a huge waste of bandwidth, and clogs the thread.

#341 ·
you know once you load the image once its in your cache and you browser isn't going to download it again just for fun. there's no wasted bandwidth or storage issues...

#343 ·
Here's mine. A 2001 D90 TD5. reasanoble spec, but nothing comared to some of the awesome stuff on here.:)

Both pics are in North Queensland Australia. First one is somwehere south of Cooktown

Second is on the Old Telegraph track, just before Nolans Brook, right at the tip of the continent.

#344 ·
Awesome shots, and nice rig. Wish we had those kind of Expedition opportunites here in the U.S.

#345 · (Edited)
Here's my truck, an '82 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ60 with a turbo'd 3B, PTO winch and a bunch of other stuff. These pictures are in/near the Mountain Pine Forest Reserve in Belize this past Christmas.

#346 · (Edited)
Goal for 2009 is to use the factory half rack mod which uses the lower portion only of the rack at the rear and middle mounting points, and a Storm company kit to mount a crossbar only to the front rack mount like this FJ owner did.

This will lower the roof top tent down several inches making for a better ride on the highway.

Make: Toyota
Model: FJ Cruiser
Year: 2007
Color: Titanium Silver

Engine: 4.0 V6
Trans: 5 speed automatic

Modifications & Additions:

* Bentup rock sliderz
* Cobra 29 Nightwatch CB radio, Firestik II 4’ antenna, and serial # 6 Bandi mount
* Cargobox that was made for my ’91 4Runner, but fits the FJ just fine.
* Powertank 10 lb model
* Lund Vent Visors, in channel ones
* Maglite installation
* Toyota high pitched horn to accompany the stock one
* ARB bumper, IPF foglamps, OME lift (heavy duty up front, medium duty back aft), Warn XD9000 winch, Winchline’s synthetic winch line and safety thimble.
* Inchworm elocker guard
* Ramsey wireless winch control
* Ellis Precision custom battery hold down bracket
* Magnaflow 11226 muffler hooked to stock pipe
* Pioneer AVIC-D3 headunit with DVD navigation, Focal 165v2 component speakers, Alpine PDX-4.100 amp, Infinity Kappa 3.27f rear speakers
* ARB fridge/freezer
* Custom 12v Bluesea fusebox and dual 12v plugs for 12v power anytime
* Dick Cepek Mountain Cat mud tires sized at 285x70x17 mounted to Pro Comp 7089 wheels
* Hi-lift jack, and Hi-Lift Handle-All, four tools in one (shovel, axe, pick axe, sledge hammer)
* Fourtrek Hi-Lift mounts mounted to the ARB bumper
* Halguard HG250R fire extinguisher (clean agent, safe for electronics)
* Kidde fire extinguisher for other types of fires outside of the vehicle
* Total Chaos upper control arms
* Dual battery setup
* Springtail M-Packs and rack
* Safari snorkel
* Maggiolina AirLand medium roof top tent
* Camping Lab awning

I had forgotten that I had posted in this thread earlier too, but it was before I had camped with the setup.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8191229&postcount=97

#355 ·
You do have a valid point. This thing runs surprisingly well for what it is, although the 2.8 is a slug. My jeep is nowhere near adventure vehicle status, and never will be with the stuff I've done to it. Its not something I want to drive long distances... I need to take things one step at a time though... Its gotta pass smog before I do anything :D
Scott

#356 ·
when building an s10 one should at least start w/ a 4.3........pick up a 4.3 powered blazer for under 1k and you'd have a way better platform

#359 ·
Well, if you do get rid of a bunch of vehicles to get a more expo ready machine you may want to really think about what you will buy.

I don't want to be negative but a 4.3 Blazer would not be on my short list. Maybe a full size Blazer depending on what I was expecting to do with the truck but not a S-10 based one.

Even then, i'd want something newer. Efficiency and comfort is the thought there.

$0.02

#361 ·
I am partial to the S10-Blazers and here is the short list of why.
Fully boxed frame from the front to at least the tranny cross member (first generations), 2nd generations the boxing went past the passenger compartment. Extremely rigid frame.

4.3 180-200hp, 230-250ft pounds of torque. Plus you can bolt a V8 up to the tranny without making driveline modifications. A 305 is 50 more of each while a 350 is 100 more of each.

SUV= Sport Utility Vehicle, meaning your shit won't get wet/muddy in the bed. No need to add a topper, already got one.

Speaking of the covered back end, it adds weight were you need it, over the rear axle. Aids in traction. Balances out the rig from front to back. If you do add the V8 it only adds about 100 pounds over the front axle, and the balance doesn't change a whole lot, especially if your spare is hanging off the back, or placed on the roof. You could throw the spare in the back end, however that sucks up space for other things.

Lets talk about space for a moment. 2nd gens have the gas tank between the framerails under the rear drivers side passengers seat, and no lower then the frame rail. you could mount your batteries under the rear passengers side floor board to help even out the balance and still gain access. Then build a cabinet under the rear end over the rear axle where the gas tank 91st gen) spare (2nd gen) used to go. that sotrage cabinet would be about 8" deep and fit between the frame rails. This could be a storage location for parts and tools. That still leaves you room in the back end for your camping gear, food, coolers, etc. Strap it down.

Flat bottom, look under that frame, nothing hangs below it, not the gas tank, not the t-case, not the exhaust. You could pratically run a flat skid plate.

Outside dimensions. Its damn near a foot narrower than a fullsize and shorter too. I can go through some pretty thick shit and not hit anything.

About the only down side is IFS, and that is only if your looking to lock the front axle, and need more articulation.

As for a pick-up truck style. too light in the ass end, plus all your shit is exposed to thiefs and the elements. Not too mention the long wheel base.

The 4dr S10-Blazer is 107" perfect wheel base. Teh 2 dr version is 100". Also a decent wheel base.

Tranny and t-case. 700R4/4L60/4L60e, 207/231c/233. Drivers side drop which makes it great to drop in a HP D44 or HP D60.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.