Pirate 4x4 banner

Lets see your expedition rigs!

3M views 2K replies 799 participants last post by  Refmech 
#1 · (Edited)
Title says it all, lets see what you got! This isn't mine, i'd like to build an m715 someday, anyways i think this one is awesome :smokin:

See less See more
#37 · (Edited)
jpfrk2001

For starters I would go with a canvas type canopy or a bed like what was on the above toyota. I would go for the Canvas top because it can be removed so you can use your bed when not exploring. Plus the canvas will look more explorerish anyways.

I would get a fuel/bed box that fits inside the truck and allows you to use the canvas top. You will find this useful when not exploring also. Or you could put another tank underneath the bed or put one that lies in the bed and put your gear ontop of it. This helps when going through Canadian customs too. They wont want to move allot of heavy gear.

My dad built one that was I believe 150 gallons for a Chevy and thy put three sets of tools and bags on top of it and never got looked at twice when going across the border. They drove all the way to Alaska from Washington and never filled up. That was back in his pipeline days as a heavy equipment mechanic.

For tires I would go with 35s or 37s. Cage is coming out with a new lift that will fit 37s max. I would look at an agressive mud terrain radial like the Toyo M/T or the Cooper Discoverer STT. Get one that is fairly wide. They will support the heavy CTD in loose terrain and work in mud, snow, rock, and sand. For clearance I might do some fender trimming to keep the CG low. For wheels I would either go Staun internal beadlocks or go with the Hutchinson Rock Monster two piece DOT legal wheel. I like the idea of two piece because it would make tire changes easier. I would also carry a matching fullsize spare. Maybe even 2. To aid in turning I would do a ram assist set up.

For traction aids I would look at either selectable lockers or Detroit truetracs. Personally I like the OX locker because it is siple and doesn't have selonoids or rely on electricity. Diff covers too if not going OX.

I don't know what kind of transmission you have but if you have an automatic I would look at upgrading it. ATS has some upgrade as you go stuff if you don't want to upgrade the whole thing but personally I would go to a built tranny from ATS, DTT, or BD. For engine I would just leave it stock or do some small upgrades. Another reason for upgrading the transmission. I'm not sure if I would go with a cold air intake or snorkel.

I would look at FabFours or ARB for bumpers. FabFours makes both front and rear. For a winch I would go with a 16,000 pound Warn or a Mile Marker 12,000 pound hydraulic winch. I would put large lights on the front bumper such as Light Force 240 Blitz. They are expensive but everyone in Alaska has them because they are the only brand that can survive. I would also do back up lights and rock lighting.

Build some heavy duty sliders with winch points and for that heavy of righ I would put a 2 inch reciever right in the middle so I could winch sideways. Something like the Warn 9.0 RC. It could also be used in the rear but for my money I would have two dedicated winches front and rear.

That was long but I hope my ideas help. These are ideas of how I would build it with some alternatives. Eventually I want a 96 CTD myself. Only I will mainly use it for towing and I want about 400HP and 1000ft/lbs of torque. Giving you ideas helped formulate what I wanna build mine to look like. I live in WA and for transmission I'm gonna go up to Canada because both DTT and BD are right on the border. Anyhoo hope my ideas help you out.

Wes

This post has been deleted
#41 ·
I'll keep the Land Rover thing going...but's now it's sitting on toy fzj80 axles and 37's, 14" coilovers up front, custom built front and rear suspension, internal cage/storage...

Attachments

#43 ·
1st cool, our mainuse for the 4x4, expeditions.

2nd Hummer two piece rims: They are easy to use WITH a beadlock insert. Some people use them without, personally I wouldnt. We just mounted a 12 bolt yesterday: a certain torque procedure has to be followed, or you will break a stud off. Also there is a max. 50 psi on the rim. The 8 bolt twopiece was designed for the biasply tire only. (max 30 psi).
With a beadlock, you air up the tire slowly (Of course a cage would be best, but who has that on the trail).

#45 ·
I would go with the 2 piece wheel myself, it makes internal double beadlocks easy to deal with when dismounting and mounting tires, unlike innertube (Staun) style. Having run H1 wheels on my rig and changed tires on them, I could do that with one arm if I had to (nothing to do with you Adam, just thinking about trail injury) to patch or replace a tire. I have a hard time working tires on and off standard wheels by hand myself with full use of all limbs, and have come closer to injuring myself working with prybars and tire spoons than with a wrench and 8 studs.

The H1s and other solid-type internal beadlock wheels don't suffer the slings and arrows of bead seating either. How often is that something without drama, especially on the trail? I've had to resort to explosive seating on the trail (one reason I carry lots of straps now), surely a 2 piece wheel with a solid internal lock is safer than that?

Adam, where's the buggy build thread? You still on for the BBQ?

I can't call my Dak an expedition rig. I'd jump in it any time and drive it across the country, but with only about a 250 mile range and a measly extra 4-5 in a can in my bed rack that's no remote location explorer. I'm usually known as the rolling toolbox for my spares and tools, but have only one spare tire, no OBA yet, only carry an extra gallon of emergency water, and have no onboard comfortable sleeping arrangements, but I do always have my camping gear, CB, cell, GPS, etc....

It speaks to where I wheel it most. It's seen trail time in CO, NC, NY, PA, MA and VT but rarely further than I could walk from a main road. This is still a forum that I'm going to keep an eye on, I really respect rigs that really get way out there and can be self sufficient.

Attachments

#46 ·
TAB I agree with you but I also agree with Mr. Mindless. You both make good points. Thanks for setting me strait. I wouldn't be afraid of running a two piece in a foreign country as long as I carried spare O rings and any critical parts. Farthest I'll probably never go would be Guatemala or S.America.

If an injury is bad enough to keep you from changing a bead your gonna be in trouble period. Sans always travel with someone you know and trust. Just one of those things you take a chance on by being in a foreign country.

Mindless you make some good points. I've tried busting a bead on an M274A5. I'm gonna let you all search on that one; my gift to you. lol Anyways we drove a 3/4 CTD on top of the tire to bust the bead and it wouldn't go, heavy slide bead breaker no go. Finally had to take it to Schwabs and even they had a hard time with it. It is a single piece tube Alum. rim and it would not loose a bead for anything. Alas we live in an imperfect world and that's what makes it so great. Dare to be different and you will be!

I think I forgot to add On Board Air to my list of mods I would do. Very important that. Not sure if I would go with an ARB electric or York beltdriven.

Wes

#48 ·
Here's a little different version, the nearest one is my wife's the rest are hunting partners. We go out for 3-4 weeks at a time.

Gus

#50 · (Edited)
´90 XJ, 7.5", 35" MT on 8.5x15" alloys, locked, Super30, Ford 8.8, Warn 9.5 XP winch, ARB/Kaymar bumpers w/ spare tire and jerry can carrier, Garmin 278 GPS, Hella Luminator HIDs, aluminium roof rack, tentrax trailer w/ fold out tent

Plans: Longarms, dual odyssey battery setup, JK Dana 44s, 17" alloy rims, 35x12.5R17 BFG MT KM2

#54 · (Edited)
Inyo Mountains, California

White Rim Trail, Utah

kayaking trips

Tuweep

Jim

2005 SR5 4WD 4Runner

Hanna sliders, 3" Downey C/Os, Deaver springs 30% & 2.5", Donahoe rear shocks, LT265/75/R16 Bridgestone Revo's, rear diff. breather mod, Scion T1806 H/U, rear bumper LEDs, auto-dim mirror - compass & UV meter, Hi-Lift jack, ScanGauge II, Midland CB, Garmin 276C, Engel fridge & Two-Zone, dual batteries, All-Pro LCAs

#57 ·
Here's Mine...

Owner: Flyingwil

Make: Toyota
Model: Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
Year: 2001

Engine: 3.4L, normally aspirated
Trans: Auto
T-Case: Stock
Front Axle: El Stock-o IFS, SAW 2.5
Rear Axle: Bilstein 5125 shocks, Electric Locker
Tires: 255/85 R16 BFG MT/KM
Wheels: TRD 16x8

Additional Modifications:
SAW 2.5
Deaver 11 pack leaf Springs
All-Pro Shackles
Demello Rock Sliders
Sure Power Auxiliary battery system
Dual Odyssey 1200 Batteries in stock location
Sure Power 1315-200 battery isolator / combiner
ARB Safari Snorkel
Lo-Tek Gauge Pod
Cyberdyne Digital Gauges
Eezi-Awn 1600 Roof Tent
Engle 45L Fridge/ Freezer
TwoZone Fridge Compartment
10 port aux. fuse block
PowerSlot rotors w/ Hawk Pads
Can-Back topper w/ Rack attachment
Shrockworks front bumper
PIAA 510 driving lights
LightForce 240 Aux Lights
CBI Expedition Rear Bumper
Total Vison Camera System (4 Camera's and monitor)
Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio in the ash tray location
Lil' Wil mag mount CB antenna
Delorme PN-20 W/ RAM mount
Custom Rear Drawer system
ExtremeAire OBA system with 5 Gal Tank
LightForce Stubby Light
QuickFist shovel and Flashlight mounts
5 Gal Fuel Can
Shower System
Grey wire modification
Amsoil Oil and Filter
Amsoil Air Filter

Some others I am sure I forgot...

#63 ·
Here is my rig on its way from germany, should be here late May. It is a 1979 U1100 or 416 Unimog, which will be my DD and expedition rig.

I plan to put my fourwheel pop-up in the bed and keep the drive train all stock.

#65 ·
Here's my rig...

98XJ SE
RE6130 w/ HD trackbar
Bilsteins
Terra 2LO
HD SYE
31" High Tec OTRs
Rear Dana 44 open 4.10s
Front Dana 30 ARB 4.10s
Home made Roof Rack
Home made ARB Copy winch bumper with SmittyBilt 8k winch

I need to get my rear tire carrier built, OBA plumbed and some other accessories and i should be ready for some short trips this summer...

Awesome Rigs everyone... I'm gleaning some ideas already :)

#67 ·
Here is our expo vehicle-

2006 Hummer H3. 8000lb XRC8 winch, Custom Winch Bumper, Lift (2" leveling kit), Lights (custom rack), Rack, and 35"s.

Here it is with my TJ (rock crawler)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.